Thread: Baseball injury news

vCash

Baseball injury news

Brayland Skinner out w a broken bone in hand. A few weeks.

vCash
    I would say "Oh well" bc we'd normally be playing a Western Carolina or Oral Roberts for opening weekend, but we've got 3 top 10 teams right off the bat, so that sucks.

Hope Pimentel is ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I would say "Oh well" bc we'd normally be playing a Western Carolina or Oral Roberts for opening weekend, but we've got 3 top 10 teams right off the bat, so that sucks.

Hope Pimentel is ready.
    I think it will be Cumbest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think it would if he'd focus solely on baseball. I think you'll probably see a Pimentel/Cumbest platoon at first. Very similar hitters. Power potential but will K a lot.

vCash
    What's going to happen if the cold weather persists? Saw a forecast for Oklahoma City earlier (about the same latitude) and it's supposed to stay below freezing for 9 consecutive days, with one or two days with single-digit highs. Starkville will be a little warmer, but it needs to be a LOT warmer than that to play ball in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Brayland Skinner out w a broken bone in hand. A few weeks.
    That stings. He made us much better defensively in the OF and he was swinging a good bat too. We don't have a lot of depth in the OF.

vCash
    Cumbest played LF on Saturday and took a HR away from Clark. He?s capable. Plus Saturday nor Sunday did he SO. He?s putting it in play. All we ask for at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Cumbest played LF on Saturday and took a HR away from Clark. He?s capable. Plus Saturday nor Sunday did he SO. He?s putting it in play. All we ask for at this point.
    We might as well roll with him. We need another RH bat anyway. And Cumbest has a lot of upside- just needs AB's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll be willing to bet they platoon. Cumbest isn't going out there against a rhp w a filthy slider just isn't.

vCash
    Cumbest has a way better upside but he's no better than kyte McDonald at this point
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-10-2021 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'll be willing to bet they platoon. Cumbest isn't going out there against a rhp w a filthy slider just isn't.
    The biggest difference is Cumbest is much better defensively. That's what tips the scales in his favor to me. Maybe the light switch goes off for Pimentel at some point this season like it did for MacNamee around the time we played Georgia in 2018. Until then....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    What's going to happen if the cold weather persists? Saw a forecast for Oklahoma City earlier (about the same latitude) and it's supposed to stay below freezing for 9 consecutive days, with one or two days with single-digit highs. Starkville will be a little warmer, but it needs to be a LOT warmer than that to play ball in.
    Well the first three games are played in a facility that has a roof. So that will help get us to feb 23 at least before we have to play outdoors.

vCash
    I don't mind getting Cumbest some at bats. He has huge potential. If he was ever able to fully focus on baseball, I think he could become a real power threat.

vCash
    Cumbest has a way better upside but he's no better than kyte McDonald at this point
    If they are equal or close to equal the decisioin is easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If they are equal or close to equal the decisioin is easy.
    I said he had more upside. It's not close. But he's been cerrantola to this point too. Tools no results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I think it would if he'd focus solely on baseball. I think you'll probably see a Pimentel/Cumbest platoon at first. Very similar hitters. Power potential but will K a lot.
    I just don?t see him ever focusing solely on baseball since it?s football that pays his way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    I just don?t see him ever focusing solely on baseball since it?s football that pays his way.
    Seems he is more exceptional as a baseball prospect than football. Big kid, big athlete, and uncommon power potential

Seems the rewards and upside is all Baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Seems he is more exceptional as a baseball prospect than football. Big kid, big athlete, and uncommon power potential

Seems the rewards and upside is all Baseball
    We as fans, me included, fall in love w guys based on potential and what a player might or could be. At this point cumbest is ahead in baseball Bc he's played a tad more(which is very little). But to be honest, he hasn't had much success in either....... yet! But he's still a young player in both. I agree he'd be better off to play baseball esp now that he isn't going to do much here on the football field w the current regime...but if he quits football he's not going to get a dime of baseball aid. So he'd be going from full scholarship to zero

vCash
    We as fans, me included, fall in love w guys based on potential and what a player might or could be. At this point cumbest is ahead in baseball Bc he's played a tad more(which is very little). But to be honest, he hasn't had much success in either....... yet! But he's still a young player in both. I agree he'd be better off to play baseball esp now that he isn't going to do much here on the football field w the current regime...but if he quits football he's not going to get a dime of baseball aid. So he'd be going from full scholarship to zero
    Pat Dye did not do that to Frank Thomas

https://www.al.com/sports/2014/07/fr..._on_how_p.html

Nice little article