Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather guys... Winter Weather next weekend?

vCash
    From what I can see it's not looking quite as likely to be a huge weather event, other than the cold temps. Can someone update?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Great, let's get the coldest weather of the year after deer season! Can we petition Tater Tot to open a three day season for north MS for the upcoming weekend?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    From what I can see it's not looking quite as likely to be a huge weather event, other than the cold temps. Can someone update?
    Latest runs are definitely backing off the temp and precip. Just have to see if this is a trend or one off. We may be getting our usual 37 and rain winter event.

vCash
    Latest model runs have definitely backed off the insane temps and crazy event. Some ensembles are still showing it though so it's not to be discounted yet.

Still possible there are places in northern MS and AL that see single digits temps though according to raw data output.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Latest model runs have definitely backed off the insane temps and crazy event. Some ensembles are still showing it though so it's not to be discounted yet.

Still possible there are places in northern MS and AL that see single digits temps though according to raw data output.
    Same be said for the Memphis and North area?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Same be said for the Memphis and North area?
    Right now the GFS model is showing Memphis being right in the middle of the nasty stuff. Snow, sleet, freezing rain type mix.

Also showing that the area could flirt with 0 degrees. Again, that's raw GFS model output, not Ensemble means. But if it were to verify and not change, Memphis would get the nasty precipitation plus dangerously cold temps.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Well that?s a bummer that the Jackson area will have no fun with this weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

It's been a while since it's been cold in north Alabama. There used to be a publication that was called "Annual Climate Summary" or something of the sort (there's probably still something similar), and the writeup on the cover page said that Huntsville "averaged getting to 0 once per year". I don't remember the last time we saw 0 here, but it's not been in the 21st century. The climate has noticeably warmed since I moved here many years ago.

vCash
    Models are all over the place. Some say balls cold next weekend. Some say 40 degrees warmer with a possible severe threat. Will it snow? Freezing rain? Hell if I know. Depends on what model you're looking at and what run. The euro is consistently warmer and wetter. The GFS is consistently bitterly cold and predominantly dry although a few ensemble members bring snow and ice into mainly extreme NW MS. A couple further down. The main gfs in the midnight run is painting a signification ice storm over the central part of the state with between 1/2" - 1" of freezing rain. Fingers crossed by Monday or Tuesday of this week they start to come to a consensus. I know everybody is waiting to see if they need to lose their mind in kroger or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    It's been a while since it's been cold in north Alabama. There used to be a publication that was called "Annual Climate Summary" or something of the sort (there's probably still something similar), and the writeup on the cover page said that Huntsville "averaged getting to 0 once per year". I don't remember the last time we saw 0 here, but it's not been in the 21st century. The climate has noticeably warmed since I moved here many years ago.
    Weird. It got down to zero with negative wind chills here in northeast Mississippi about 7-8 years ago. It seems we?ve got a lot of snow here in the past decade and more consistent lows that I haven?t seen in about 30+ years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Models are all over the place. Some say balls cold next weekend. Some say 40 degrees warmer with a possible severe threat. Will it snow? Freezing rain? Hell if I know. Depends on what model you're looking at and what run. The euro is consistently warmer and wetter. The GFS is consistently bitterly cold and predominantly dry although a few ensemble members bring snow and ice into mainly extreme NW MS. A couple further down. The main gfs in the midnight run is painting a signification ice storm over the central part of the state with between 1/2" - 1" of freezing rain. Fingers crossed by Monday or Tuesday of this week they start to come to a consensus. I know everybody is waiting to see if they need to lose their mind in kroger or not.
    I’m sending the wife to Kroger today before it’s too late. Memphis looks to be gonna get the worse if it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Weird. It got down to zero with negative wind chills here in northeast Mississippi about 7-8 years ago. It seems we?ve got a lot of snow here in the past decade and more consistent lows that I haven?t seen in about 30+ years.
    Interesting. Down in south central Mississippi we talk about how we hardly have winter anymore. I really notice it because of how much I hunt. Especially October/November. It was a heat index of 101 opening day of bow season last year. This year it wasn't much better.

vCash
    This coming WKND looks crappy for Oxford north. Gonna be a soaker for South MS. According to GFS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    It's been over 30 years in Huntsville - December 1989. That's a long time for a place that used to average once per year. Single digits a lot, but not 0 or below.

https://whnt.com/weather/valleywx-bl...o-temperature/

Archimedes
    vCash
    Any updates this morning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    It's been over 30 years in Huntsville - December 1989. That's a long time for a place that used to average once per year. Single digits a lot, but not 0 or below.

https://whnt.com/weather/valleywx-bl...o-temperature/

I was in Huntsville in 1989 and I remember that cold snap, water pipes coming into the house froze; what a mess. Had to go to the office to take a shower!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Any updates this morning?
    Not really. Snow looking less likely in MS and ice more likely...if we get anything frozen. Models are having a very difficult time with this storm.

vCash
    I have family in Cabot Ar. The current forecast is for 6 straight days at freezing or below for the highs starting Thursday-Wednesday. That hadn?t happened in over 40 years.

As far as Jackson area, the reality is that is South Central Mississippi. If you ain?t north of 82, it is rare you get any winter weather.
    Last edited by CaptainObvious; 02-08-2021 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    Jackson NWS has introduced a graphic for light freezing rain for the extreme NW portion of their territory. Basically Greenville to Grenada and points NW. It looks as though we will have a sustained period of sub freezing temps so be prepared for that. They also mentioned other possibilities for winter precip as we head into the middle of next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I was in Huntsville in 1989 and I remember that cold snap, water pipes coming into the house froze; what a mess. Had to go to the office to take a shower!
    It never got above 0 the entire daylight hours, but the official high for the day (9 F) was in the very early morning, maybe 1 or 2 a.m. Wind chill was around -40. There have been colder times, but not when accompanied by such fierce winds that I can recall. The large lake near me (Lady Ann Lake) froze over. I've only seen that happen a few times over the years. I don't think we had any precip during that time though.