So I went to the ER back in April with my first kidney stone. My wife thought that was what it was since she has had several before. It was on my right side so just wanted to verify it wasn't my appendix.

It moved quickly so I went in and was out in around 1.5-2 hours. I actually never saw a doctor except on the IPad releasing me. I saw nurses about 3-4 times total to get an IV, going to get scanned, and getting a morphine shot.

I just received the bill about 1 month ago and it was $1,000 after my insurance. This is just for doctors and nurses. I already paid the hospital and the Dr who "read" my scan which took under 5 minutes. $600 for 5 minutes work is great if you can get it.

So the bill was "rated" at a Level 5 which is the highest level. I had it reviewed and they said that was correct due to the possibility of appendix issues. Would you not actually get physically examined if it was a level 5? Since that is the highest level, that is supposed to be the same care as heart attack victims or gun shot wounds.

Is there anything else I can do? I feel like this is price gouging since I might have been the only person in the ER at the time due to the country shutdown.