Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Charge for the emergency room

vCash

OT: Charge for the emergency room

So I went to the ER back in April with my first kidney stone. My wife thought that was what it was since she has had several before. It was on my right side so just wanted to verify it wasn't my appendix.

It moved quickly so I went in and was out in around 1.5-2 hours. I actually never saw a doctor except on the IPad releasing me. I saw nurses about 3-4 times total to get an IV, going to get scanned, and getting a morphine shot.

I just received the bill about 1 month ago and it was $1,000 after my insurance. This is just for doctors and nurses. I already paid the hospital and the Dr who "read" my scan which took under 5 minutes. $600 for 5 minutes work is great if you can get it.

So the bill was "rated" at a Level 5 which is the highest level. I had it reviewed and they said that was correct due to the possibility of appendix issues. Would you not actually get physically examined if it was a level 5? Since that is the highest level, that is supposed to be the same care as heart attack victims or gun shot wounds.

Is there anything else I can do? I feel like this is price gouging since I might have been the only person in the ER at the time due to the country shutdown.

vCash
    If you have cash ready to pay, call up there and offer to pay it in full for a reduced rate. May not work with a small bill like this, but I did this once. 14k, I said I?d pay 6k right now but don?t have 14 and they took it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So I went to the ER back in April with my first kidney stone. My wife thought that was what it was since she has had several before. It was on my right side so just wanted to verify it wasn't my appendix.

It moved quickly so I went in and was out in around 1.5-2 hours. I actually never saw a doctor except on the IPad releasing me. I saw nurses about 3-4 times total to get an IV, going to get scanned, and getting a morphine shot.

I just received the bill about 1 month ago and it was $1,000 after my insurance. This is just for doctors and nurses. I already paid the hospital and the Dr who "read" my scan which took under 5 minutes. $600 for 5 minutes work is great if you can get it.

So the bill was "rated" at a Level 5 which is the highest level. I had it reviewed and they said that was correct due to the possibility of appendix issues. Would you not actually get physically examined if it was a level 5? Since that is the highest level, that is supposed to be the same care as heart attack victims or gun shot wounds.

Is there anything else I can do? I feel like this is price gouging since I might have been the only person in the ER at the time due to the country shutdown.
    I feel your pain. Literally. I had a kidney stone last month. Didn't need an er visit because I recognized it early (I've had 7 and they all were so big they needed a surgical solution) and got in with my doc and set up an outpatient surgery. So had the surgery and got the bills.

I have 3 different bills for anesthesia. There is a charge on the main hospital bill. A separate bill from the hospital. And a bill from a private group. It's insane.

vCash
    Yep you gotta pay for all those hours resources sitting there. No one likes it but that is the model to balance out. If you have something serious, you don't want the lowest bidder with degree from Pheonix University online two year degree working on you either.

The cost piece and doctor shortage is what has led to so many nurse practitioners today too. 40 years ago there was no such thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yep you gotta pay for all those hours resources sitting there. No one likes it but that is the model to balance out. If you have something serious, you don't want the lowest bidder with degree from Pheonix University online two year degree working on you either.

The cost piece and doctor shortage is what has led to so many nurse practitioners today too. 40 years ago there was no such thing.
    I understand that but does anyone understand the Medical coding part? I asked the person what is an example of a level 1-4 but they wouldn't answer and said they would review it. The letter from the review just said since there was a possibility of appendix issues that they agreed it was a Level 5.

I am like what the hell is a level 1-4? Is it where you come in for an aspirin?

vCash
    Just ignore it like half the country would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    He isn't wrong. The stack of garnishments I receive every year on our employees proves it.

vCash
    Thank heaven I have the VA and a good one here in Biloxi. I am covered for 100% as long as I go to a VA approved Doctor/clinic since i have a service connected injury, Parachute failure. Years ago I had Colon scope done tat a local hospital. Got 4 bills after my Insurance paid out totaling over a grand. If you are a vet go see what VA benefits there are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Thank heaven I have the VA and a good one here in Biloxi. I am covered for 100% as long as I go to a VA approved Doctor/clinic since i have a service connected injury, Parachute failure. Years ago I had Colon scope done tat a local hospital. Got 4 bills after my Insurance paid out totaling over a grand. If you are a vet go see what VA benefits there are.
    Yes, they have good verteran's health care in Biloxi. A friend of mine, also our "bug man", was a special forces paratrooper, and he had to go to Birmingham for any service. They finally opened a VA clinic here, but if you need anything major you still have to go down there. This is sort of a good place for military people to retire to. I think the census says Madison County has well over 30,000 veterans here, so you'd think they might consider a full-fledged hospital at some point.

vCash
    From what I hear as long as you pay them ?something? every month they pretty much will take it. I don?t know how true that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    From what I hear as long as you pay them ?something? every month they pretty much will take it. I don?t know how true that is.
    True, at least in my experience. They will usually let u set the amount u will pay per month as long as it's reasonable. Much better deal than putting it on a credit card cause there's no interest.

vCash
    You think it's honorable to pay a multi-thousand dollar Monopoly money bill for something as simple as a kidney stone? All the while the big time insurance executives sit around and make bank off not helping anyone out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    You think it's honorable to pay a multi-thousand dollar Monopoly money bill for something as simple as a kidney stone? All the while the big time insurance executives sit around and make bank off not helping anyone out
    No, I literally suggested the opposite of paying it. #Medicare4All

vCash
    I've utilized 2 methods in the past, and both have worked:

1. Pay 'em $10/month (or something nominal) @ 0%.
    2. Settle it for ~33% in cashola.

Good luck!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Two options which have been mentioned, pay something each month, or call and offer cash payment. Both work, more than likely it will be reduced around 33%. Good luck.

vCash
    Hey TUSK is there a VA near you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hey TUSK is there a VA near you?
    there's a clinic in Columbus, MS (~10 miles) and a "good one" in Tuscaloosa (~50 miles)....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Now the VA contracts with the local Doc in a Box for regular I feel sick care and for Covid testing. After hours we can use the ER which is top notch here in Biloxi.

vCash
    No, I literally suggested the opposite of paying it. #Medicare4All
    I've stopped knocking Medicare For All. I'm so tired of being raped by our current system that I'll take an honest look at anything, though it wouldn't be my first choice in an ideal world.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I've stopped knocking Medicare For All. I'm so tired of being raped by our current system that I'll take an honest look at anything, though it wouldn't be my first choice in an ideal world.
    Stop wasting trillions on dumb wars, stop letting in millions of wage lowering wards of the state, and stop letting the super rich horde all the wealth.