Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We will be very good next year...

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah. We we're going to to be good in 2011 too, and again in 2012.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Yeah. We we're going to to be good in 2011 too, and again in 2012.......
    It is that ridiculous, especially right in the middle of the current season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    We were down 51-27. I can assure you A&M was not concerned.

P.S. I am pretty sure Mullen will lose to Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU next year. So what will be so good about next season?
    ^this

vCash

I understand the frustration...

But we are not going to be a 7-9 win team every year... We will have transition years and we
    Are going through one this year. I used USM as an example because that scenario could happen to us on a smaller scale. We have talent in house, a solid head coach with very capable assistants who have had success in the past. Also Todd using the Houston Nutt comparison is not fair. I know first hand that Nutt and staff were lazy and that program was a train wreck. That's nothing compared to where we are now...take a deep breath, let the season play out and I think we will have similar momentum heading into next year that Ole Miss had last year.... Arkansas is a huge game for us!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    LOL, that's pretty good.

I just laugh at the people on both sides of this debate the act like they've got all this stuff figured out, and this debate is black and white.

If you don't find this issue to be very complicated, then you aren't thinking hard enough about it. I like intelligent/intellectual posts on the this matter, and ones in which posters make solid points that provide evidence one way or the other.

This situation is complicated.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this post. Good job. The problem is the folks who freely admit that -- a) They don't know what the answer is because b) It really is complicated -- just don't have a ton to say. What we're left with are the extremists, whose minds are made up and not likely to change.

1. Dan Mullen has brought us a long way in 5 years from a talent perspective.
    2. It is very frustrating to keep losing games to teams we could beat.
    3. It's EXTREMELY frustrating that there are multiple games on the schedule that we simply have no realistic shot at beating, and even more frustrating that this is NOT likely to change.
    4. It's frustrating to see coaches like Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin** come in and get those programs turned around IMMEDIATELY.
    5. Having Hudspeth "waiting in the wings" complicates the issue entirely. If he wasn't lighting the world on fire, and Freeze/Malzahn hadn't had success coming from the Sun Belt, I doubt there are more than a couple of fringe posters even close to calling for Mullen's head.

I see both sides of the coin. There's a very real possibility, with our talent and the schedule next year, plus the top teams in our division all having key losses, that a new coach could come in and immediately have a magical season next year.

The other side of that is I could legitimately see Mullen winning 9+ regular season games next year. At Alabama and LSU are probably not going to happen under Mullen, but home games against Auburn and aTm (sans Manziel) are very winnable and Vandy, Kentucky, and Arkansas should be sure wins. Going to Ole Miss could be a tough game but I'm not about to write it off as a loss. Any worse than 8-4 next season would be a colossal failure (a la 2012) and I would genuinely concede that Mullen was never going to get us over the hump.

At the end of the day, without losing out Mullen is not going to be fired this year. Next season is make or break- though I fear we wouldn't fire a coach after a 7- or 8- win regular season despite it being warranted.

**The jury is really still out on Sumlin- without hitting the lottery with Manziel, who was already on campus, he's likely in charge of a very average team. To his credit, though, he's done a great job with the tools he was given.
    Last edited by dickiedawg; 11-10-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot the footnote

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    But we are not going to be a 7-9 win team every year... We will have transition years and we
    Are going through one this year. I used USM as an example because that scenario could happen to us on a smaller scale. We have talent in house, a solid head coach with very capable assistants who have had success in the past. Also Todd using the Houston Nutt comparison is not fair. I know first hand that Nutt and staff were lazy and that program was a train wreck. That's nothing compared to where we are now...take a deep breath, let the season play out and I think we will have similar momentum heading into next year that Ole Miss had last year.... Arkansas is a huge game for us!
    Its ridiculous to even remotely compare our situation to USM in any way, shape or form. The only school in a comparable situation to us in the state AT ALL is OM and that is it. This isn't 20 years ago. If we really think we are facing a situation anything remotely like USM then we should voluntarily leave the SEC and be done with it. Its also ridiculous to say we couldn't be a 7-9 win team every year. We are already pretty much a 6-8 win team NOW and that is with questionable coaching moves and one of the weakest recruiting staffs in the conference! Doesn't take much to accomplish that when you just win your OOC games and play even half-way competitively in the league and beat a few SEC teams on the down cycle which is what we are currently accomplishing.

vCash
    Yes we will be.

100% Back to fundamentals of Mullen's offense. Spread run zone read with the right players.

Dak and Damian both equipped to run that offense.

No more misuse of LDP - he is not used correctly. He could be all pro under Belichek

We return 19/22 of our 2 deep on defense. People forget we lost our three most experienced corners in Banks, Slay and Broomfield. The youngsters are getting better fast.

vCash
    Are we going to be coached better next year?

vCash
    I'll buy, when we stop an offense that packages plays. (You know I'm talking Thanksgiving night...)