Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel very conflicted about Mullen now.

vCash

I feel very conflicted about Mullen now.

We have the personnel to be very good but really dumb coaching mistakes cost us this game. However the same coaches put us in a position to be competitive. We finally played 4 quarters. I was even happy Mullen didn't just let them run out the clock. Unlike last week, he tried to win until the clock hit 0. I feel like I am dating the crazy girl with great sex. Just when you are ready to kick her to the curb she wakes you up with a mind blowing bj.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    We have the personnel to be very good but really dumb coaching mistakes cost us this game. However the same coaches put us in a position to be competitive. We finally played 4 quarters. I was even happy Mullen didn't just let them run out the clock. Unlike last week, he tried to win until the clock hit 0. I feel like I am dating the crazy girl with great sex. Just when you are ready to kick her to the curb she wakes you up with a mind blowing bj.
    I hear you man. I don't know what to think. Mullen does so many things well, that I don't want to get rid of him, but so many things poor that I'm not sure we can get to the next level under him. It's confusing, and you aren't the only one.

vCash
    If Mullen coaches like this from now on, we'll be at least 7-6 the next two years. If he coaches like this, except fixes the coaching mistakes, we'll be 9-4 next year.

It was great how Mullen clearly gave a damn today. I've been missing that.

vCash
    He was better today effort wise than he's been in quite awhile -- that's for sure.

I just think we'll always underperform under the bright lights with him. A great gameday coach wins that game today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    He was better today effort wise than he's been in quite awhile -- that's for sure.

I just think we'll always underperform under the bright lights with him. A great gameday coach wins that game today.
    Not debating this one bit, but today showed me that he doesn't get credit for how well he has recruited because we have talent, and I think we have good schemes.

Do we give that up to get a better game day coach, and is Hud absolutely the guy that can do both?

vCash
    I totally agree about being very conflicted. I think at the end of the day the man's body of work earns him the right to get it turned around next year... will he get it turned around? I'm not sure... I think he can with Dak mext year. How do we justify running him off if he doesn't finish 4-8?Its a big decision and no clear cut pick Imo.. either way Hail State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not debating this one bit, but today showed me that he doesn't get credit for how well he has recruited because we have talent, and I think we have good schemes.

Do we give that up to get a better game day coach, and is Hud absolutely the guy that can do both?
    Yes.

vCash
    Don't be fooled. Texas A&M's defense is awful. The only teams that they have shut down are UTEP and SMU.

The personnel decisions that Dan makes KILL us. Everyone wants to focus on Tyler vs. Dak. But why doesn't D'Runnya start? Why have we not played Fred Brown more? Robinson and Shumpert over Perkins? No matter who the QB is, those players that Dan doesn't play a lot would help both QB's immensely. And it doesn't just limit itself to offense either- the secondary is a mess. Cox needs be at safety, Whitley needs to be at LB. And then there is the saga of Devon Bell.

We don't do little things well. We killed their punter, let the 12th douchebag come through unblocked, had a field goal blocked.

I really and truly believe that if we get a coach that is extremely detailed oriented and puts the best players on the field- we are a MUCH better team and we will reach our peak.

Banned
    vCash
    I remain very unconflicted in this "Gots-2-Go" situation. Don't let the door hit you either Strick and Brack

vCash
    I hate the moral victory shit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Bingo.

In year 5, we should be past that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Don't be fooled. Texas A&M's defense is awful. The only teams that they have shut down are UTEP and SMU.

The personnel decisions that Dan makes KILL us. Everyone wants to focus on Tyler vs. Dak. But why doesn't D'Runnya start? Why have we not played Fred Brown more? Robinson and Shumpert over Perkins? No matter who the QB is, those players that Dan doesn't play a lot would help both QB's immensely. And it doesn't just limit itself to offense either- the secondary is a mess. Cox needs be at safety, Whitley needs to be at LB. And then there is the saga of Devon Bell.

We don't do little things well. We killed their punter, let the 12th douchebag come through unblocked, had a field goal blocked.

I really and truly believe that if we get a coach that is extremely detailed oriented and puts the best players on the field- we are a MUCH better team and we will reach our peak.
    Exactly my thoughts. Verbatim.

I'm not even mad about the roughing the kicker penalty -- because that was Deontae Evans who is actually a young guy that I expect freshman mistakes from -- and we actually "got there" for maybe the first time under Mullen.

What kills us are "freshman mistakes" from a crapload of players that are 2-3 years removed from being freshmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Some actual victories would be nice.

vCash
    To me this is more of a wait and see game. Can he go into the film room and see his mistakes or is he just going to say "defense lost us this one, my offense and sp is good enough". He put us in a position to win but he also cost the players a win by the same bullshit playcalling like tyler on a zone read for 2 pt conversion.

vCash

Very well said.

vCash

The question is do you think mullen can recognize his weaknesses and correct them or is he stubborn like Croom was when he refused to fire Woody until it was too late?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    The question is do you think mullen can recognize his weaknesses and correct them or is he stubborn like Croom was when he refused to fire Woody until it was too late?
    I don't know what the deal with Mullen is. When he first got here, the best players played the most. Unless it was a spot like QB with Relf and Lee where neither one was a clear cut starter.

He does seem to favor upperclassmen- but then again, you have Bell punting for Swedenberg right now.

It's probably a combination of things. My guess is he overestimates certain players abilities. He told a TV guy that Bell could kick a field goal from 65 yards out. He uses Perkins like he used Vick Ballard. I can tell he favors players that perform well in practice- but the problem is he doesn't seem to mind sacrificing in game performance over that. It's just puzzling. He's hard headed and stubborn- which is fine but don't be so hard headed that you cost the team games.

So, no I don't think he can recognize his weaknesses.

vCash
    I don't know what the deal with Mullen is. When he first got here, the best players played the most. Unless it was a spot like QB with Relf and Lee where neither one was a clear cut starter.

He does seem to favor upperclassmen- but then again, you have Bell punting for Swedenberg right now.

It's probably a combination of things. My guess is he overestimates certain players abilities. He told a TV guy that Bell could kick a field goal from 65 yards out. He uses Perkins like he used Vick Ballard. I can tell he favors players that perform well in practice- but the problem is he doesn't seem to mind sacrificing in game performance over that. It's just puzzling. He's hard headed and stubborn- which is fine but don't be so hard headed that you cost the team games.

So, no I don't think he can recognize his weaknesses.
    Exactly.

vCash

Completely agree. For those who are conflicted after this game they will not be after Bama comes to town.

vCash

Yep Todd, you nailed it. Add to that his mind-numbing decisions to cram Russell and Perk-up-the-middle down our throats and I'm finally ready for him to go. How stupid does a man have to be to still think it's a good idea to have Perk in the backfield with TR and have TR run it or Perk take it up the gut?

We all knew just about every drive needed to result in points for us, and that Dak/JRob/Shumpert with a little bit of Perk used appropriately was our best chance for this, yet Dan basically threw away the first 2 drives by going with the same old failed shit he's done over and over and over again!

Y'all all know I was on-the-fence with Dan and thought we had a great chance to win this game going in. But as soon as I witnessed the first drive, I knew Dan was going to shit-the-bed again. Said right then & there I am ready for him to go if we can get Hud or even Petrino. Mullen refuses to change, refuses to adapt. He's no longer good enough to be our HC.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 11-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.