Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Howland (SEC Record) - 47-52 in 6 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Well, Big Shot.....don't try and educate these geniuses. Don't you know that the 2nd string QB and the next coach are the ones that will lead us to the land of milk and honey......
    LOL that’s why I said if you ask then you wouldn’t understand anyway. I wonder if Bert Stare knows who are next Basketball Coach will be*

vCash
    I?m sure Cohen would never consider him because he?s a fantastic coach. But I want DeVries from got to love the Drake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Rick Stands
    39-41 first 5 years
    And was hired coming off a sweet 16 and final 4 appearance

Does that clear it up a little ?
    Stands was not hired coming off the sweet 16 and final four. That final four was March of 96. The next year, 96-97, we had 5 new starters and sucked. Were .500. Then Stans was hired prior to the 97-98 season.

But yea, it took him 4 years to get it rolling. By 2002 through 2005, we were really good. I'm not sure Ben will get the program there. But honestly, if he can just make the tourney as often as he misses it, I think that will be acceptable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Stands was not hired coming off the sweet 16 and final four. That final four was March of 96. The next year, 96-97, we had 5 new starters and sucked. Were .500. Then Stans was hired prior to the 97-98 season.

But yea, it took him 4 years to get it rolling. By 2002 through 2005, we were really good. I'm not sure Ben will get the program there. But honestly, if he can just make the tourney as often as he misses it, I think that will be acceptable.
    Not saying we weren't good under Stans in the 00's, but the SEC on average was a good bit weaker for much of that period, with the added benefit of a pathetic Western division making up a good portion of the schedule.

vCash
    I loved nothing more than our basketball program from mid 90's through 2009-10. We were consistently successful, our home court atmosphere was terrific (before every game on TV) and we were receiving some national media recognition, but I will be the first to acknowledge that era is gone, that culture and desire for basketball from our fanbase has declined greatly and I believe the recruiting areas from which we were successful then are also gone (Jackson, specifically and most of Mississippi) for players that can consistently compete today. The urban areas are where the recruits are mostly now and the cultural difference between Starkville and urban America is vast; thus, they likely have little interest in coming to Starkville if they have many other options. I believe other coaching prospects are also conscious of these facts and consider them true risks in taking a job in Starkville; thus, as a program, we need to be careful in just thinking we can change coaches and get alot of improvement there because I have my doubts. My most realistic desire is for Howland to improve his assistant staff at least to one that can teach guard oriented offensive strategy and how to attack the different types of defenses and maintain Howland for a longer period of time. Surely we can have one assistant who can specialize in offensive teaching and not just be another recruiter leaving Howland to teach defense and rebounding.

vCash

Rick was part of the staff in 96-97 and lead recruiter, and his first season as head coach he returned 3 of his top 5 scores from that team..
    So he wasn’t taking over a complete shit show like CBH did ..
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-29-2021 at 06:16 AM.

vCash

Stands inherited a loaded team. 2 guys got a cup of coffee in the NBA. Dietrick White was a beast. That team when Williams was the HC was expected to be an NCAA team that season. Williams had to step down and Stands made an NCAA Tourney type team an NIT team
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stands inherited a loaded team. 2 guys got a cup of coffee in the NBA. Dietrick White was a beast. That team when Williams was the HC was expected to be an NCAA team that season. Williams had to step down and Stands made an NCAA Tourney type team an NIT team
    Stands was 39-41 in SEC play after 5 seasons. Then the Baylor scandal happens and Lawrence Roberts drops in his lap, we have the wonderful '03-'04 season with the Road Warriors, lose 1 key player (Bowers) for '04-'05 and go 9-7 in league play. How do you go 9-7 with Roberts, Power, Ervin, Frazier and Harper???? Yeah, we made the NCAA - But that team had enough talent to win the league again.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    What gives?
    Here to read the pathetic excuses....he is ?a year away? though.*
    No Signature

vCash
    The stans hate by some is so obvious. Did he bang your mothers? Just admit he had our program relevant and an impassioned fan base. The decision to fire him killed our program.

I'm prob one of the only persons on here that can acknowledge that who also is a supporter of Howland. I don't think Ben will ever reach the ceiling stans reached here (4 straight tourneys), but I do think he can get us to be a consistent bubble team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    "Loaded"
    "Dietrick White was a beast"

Trying too hard.

vCash
    "Loaded"
    "Dietrick White was a beast"

Trying too hard.
    Ask any player on that team or teams prior how good that guy was and could / should have been...

vCash

Correction. We sucked 96-97 season and 97-98 season. Stans was hired prior to the 98-99 season. In his 14 seasons, we made 6 NCAA appearances and 5 NIT appearances. That is about as much as we can realistically expect from Ben.

vCash
    The stans hate by some is so obvious. Did he bang your mothers? Just admit he had our program relevant and an impassioned fan base. The decision to fire him killed our program.

I'm prob one of the only persons on here that can acknowledge that who also is a supporter of Howland. I don't think Ben will ever reach the ceiling stans reached here (4 straight tourneys), but I do think he can get us to be a consistent bubble team.
    I'm not a Stans hater - I've always looked it as a Stans realist. He was a good coach for us. But, people placed an unrealistic expectation on our program under him and Howland. Your last sentence even shows it - we've been a bubble team for 3 years now and "you think" he can get us to that level??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'm not a Stans hater - I've always looked it as a Stans realist. He was a good coach for us. But, people placed an unrealistic expectation on our program under him and Howland. Your last sentence even shows it - we've been a bubble team for 3 years now and "you think" he can get us to that level??
    We are nowhere close to a bubble team right now.

But I do think coming into this year it was fair to say Ben had gotten us to that point. And I think next year should be a tourney team. He is getting close to where stans had us, he just needs a few more tourneys. Stand made the ncaa 37.5% of the time here. Ben is at 17% unless he makes it this year.

vCash
    If Stans and Howland had the records they had at MSU with under rated kids and didn?t get a bunch of 4 and even 5 stars then their work would?ve been great. Both of them are great recruiters but average coaches at best. This is why I would take Buzz Williams and Frank Martin any day. They might not know how to recruit, but they always get max effort out of their talent. Other coaches in this bucket include Bob Huggins, Chris Beard, Tony Bennett etc. Brad Underwood is another good one. I just wish we could find a coach that always maximized talent

vCash
    The excuses for Howland on these threads are just mind boggling. Yes, we're poor old MSU and we just can never be more than mediocre. So we never are.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    We are nowhere close to a bubble team right now.

But I do think coming into this year it was fair to say Ben had gotten us to that point. And I think next year should be a tourney team. He is getting close to where stans had us, he just needs a few more tourneys. Stand made the ncaa 37.5% of the time here. Ben is at 17% unless he makes it this year.
    Stans had down years too. So did Williams.
    And everyone expected this to be a down year because we lost 4 starters. We were picked 12 in the SEC for a reason and yet are currently tied for 6th. We have a damn good shot at finishing top half of the league - and people want to ignore that that is a positive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Stans had down years too. So did Williams.
    And everyone expected this to be a down year because we lost 4 starters. We were picked 12 in the SEC for a reason and yet are currently tied for 6th. We have a damn good shot at finishing top half of the league - and people want to ignore that that is a positive.
    Not me. That is a positive.

It's not the down years that is bens problem. It's the lack of tourney appearances. One in six years is not enough. He needs at least two in six years. Maybe he can win the sec tourney this year and make it two in six years.

vCash
    Not me. That is a positive.

It's not the down years that is bens problem. It's the lack of tourney appearances. One in six years is not enough. He needs at least two in six years. Maybe he can win the sec tourney this year and make it two in six years.
    Convenient that it got cancelled last year or that more likely than not would have been your two in six.