Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This basketball team is a year away

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We are good enough to play with anybody we play. We arent good enough to win all the close games due to youth and FT shooting.

This group really needs to stay together another season. Could really make a run next Spring
    Totally agree. We are young in a game where maturity matters. My biggest problem is Howland has to sit guys if they are disengaged. I felt he did that first half sitting guys down 15-4 and bench helped get us back in it.
    We are so weak around the 3 point line but when we wanna play D we are nasty. We have to endure the poor free throw shooting, poor decisions due to youth but I saw hope that Howland at least sat guys tonight at key moments for lack of effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    Totally agree. We are young in a game where maturity matters. My biggest problem is Howland has to sit guys if they are disengaged. I felt he did that first half sitting guys down 15-4 and bench helped get us back in it.
    We are so weak around the 3 point line but when we wanna play D we are nasty. We have to endure the poor free throw shooting, poor decisions due to youth but I saw hope that Howland at least sat guys tonight at key moments for lack of effort.
    Actually I mean he finally figured out to sit guys when they are disengaged. He does this earlier in the season we don?t see these issues now. We are young but you can be young and battle. This team doesn?t always and has cost us 3 games. Howland is experienced and I?m a bit disappointed he didn?t emphasize this by using his best motivation earlier in the year. Yep the bench for a while

vCash
    Holy shirts and pants. Many of this crew defended Stands over the years. Wow

Our team is young and inexperienced and that is why it?s makes such dumb mistakes. Veteran college players typically outplay Frshmens. It is what it is
    What Howland coached team/players make you think we are going to see great improvement from this year to next. I have seen talent increase but not teams progressively get better with experience like they should. Every team he has had here has suffered from lack of discipline on the court and the ability to mature like they should.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    What Howland coached team/players make you think we are going to see great improvement from this year to next. I have seen talent increase but not teams progressively get better with experience like they should. Every team he has had here has suffered from lack of discipline on the court and the ability to mature like they should.
    I'll say it again. This coming from former players who've seen us practice. We practice soft and there's no accountability for on court discipline or mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    I'll say it again. This coming from former players who've seen us practice. We practice soft and there's no accountability for on court discipline or mistakes.
    By the play on the court I see this but while late I saw a coach sitting guys for being soft tonight. I?m not defending anything but I?m gonna trust he?s adapting to a game that I?ve never seen before. College basketball is at a crossroads for coaches. Big time athletes or ball players with less skills with heart. Look at the Top 25. No dominant teams. The game has changed. I hope Howland sitting a few tonight was a sign to push for players to play the game hard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    MSU is the best at finding coaches that allow soft practice and lack player accountability.

It's actually uncanny.

vCash
    We are good enough to play with anybody we play. We arent good enough to win all the close games due to youth and FT shooting.

This group really needs to stay together another season. Could really make a run next Spring
    Really C34......you pumping sunshine on this BB team! Are you saying Stans is coming back?

vCash

I agree Coach.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash

Our team is young and inexperienced and that is why it?s makes such dumb mistakes. Veteran college players typically outplay Frshmens. It is what it is
    Stands first 5 years SEC 39-41 ... hired coming off a final 4 and sweet 16
    Howland first 5 years SEC 43-47 .. hired coming off the worse teams since the Bob Boyd era

Ok lets fire him..
    Cohen does the hiring.. and more than likely Smith , Molinar, Stewart are gone.. good luck the next 3-4 years ...
    What Big time coach comes to school with ZERO basketball history who just fired a coach that has CBH resume , that won 12 games in the sec the previous year , lost 80% of its scoring , put 2 players in the league and is very competitive in 2020-2021 covid year..
    With little or no off the court issues. Basically zero NCAA snooping around..
    Still getting nba level talent and developing 3star and 4star talent ( molinar and DJ ) into nba prospects as sophomores.

And we would probably offer lower third of league money to come here.. good luck getting a credible coach..
    rick ray 2.0

Case closed.. there is no need to officially lock this thread now.. I just locked it
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-27-2021 at 12:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Stands first 5 years SEC 39-41 ... hired coming off a final 4 and sweet 16
    Howland first 5 years SEC 43-47 .. hired coming off the worse teams since the Bob Boyd era

Ok lets fire him..
    Cohen does the hiring.. and more than likely Smith , Molinar, Stewart are gone.. good luck the next 3-4 years ...
    What Big time coach comes to school with ZERO basketball history who just fired a coach that has CBH resume , that won 12 games in the sec the previous year , lost 80% of its scoring , put 2 players in the league and is very competitive in 2020-2021 covid year..
    With little or no off the court issues. Basically zero NCAA snooping around..
    Still getting nba level talent and developing 3star and 4star talent ( molinar and DJ ) into nba prospects as sophomores.

And we would probably offer lower third of league money to come here.. good luck getting a credible coach..
    rick ray 2.0

Case closed.. there is no need to officially lock this thread now.. I just locked it
    Then just admit we don't give a damn about basketball and have zero expectations. And Coach keeps talking about Stans who has been gone for years. Stop. This is all about having standards or not. If we don't set making the tourney as a standard just admit it and move on. And from the responses, we mainly have fans who don't care about the tourney and look at this program as 6 year old soccer where results don't matter. I expect more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Then just admit we don't give a damn about basketball and have zero expectations. And Coach keeps talking about Stans who has been gone for years. Stop. This is all about having standards or not. If we don't set making the tourney as a standard just admit it and move on. And from the responses, we mainly have fans who don't care about the tourney and look at this program as 6 year old soccer where results don't matter. I expect more
    Went 25-12 in year 3 NIT semis.. 25 and ****ing 12 .. just 3 years after RR.. think about that
    Went to the tourney in 2019 year 4 with a 23-11 record
    Went 11-7 highest finish since the new format in SEC and still had great chance to go in 2020.. IMO we should have been a lock but we aren’t a blue blood
    Was suppose to be a down year and this team is very competitive .. and who’s to say can’t win the sec tourney .. ( that’s the only way we got in one year under Stands)
    Next year ( if the core guys stay) is the year if we don’t make a little noise the Fire Ben crew can come out and be loud , I might be in there with them ..

I’m not saying CBH is a top 10 coach and we can’t do better. But if you **** up that hire it’s rick ray 2.0 all over again and I doubt we have Gregg Byrne come to our rescue again to clean it up.

Yes basketball has changed since the early to mid 2000s.. but it also a lot tougher to get in the big dance than it was back then and the SEC isn’t Near as top heavy , much more competitive top to bottom last few years

The NCAA is always and should always be the ultimate goal...
    it took the Great One four years to get there
    It took Ben four years to get there
    It took Richard Williams 5 years to get there and 9 to get to sweet 16

And yes we should be more all in with basketball as a fan base and as an university..
    We were when RS was here... and his results mirror then ones now , and CBH is doing it with half the support and tougher competition top to bottom..
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-27-2021 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Stans 73 Oats 71 in Tuscaloosa
    Western Kentucky beats Bama
    La tech beats Wky
    MSU beats La tech
    Ole miss beat MSU
    Bama beats Ole miss

I could go on and on...

vCash

IMHO that is what is wrong with College basketball and why there is not much interest. It's just about always, inexperienced and is played that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Went 25-12 in year 3 NIT semis.. 25 and ****ing 12 .. just 3 years after RR.. think about that
    Went to the tourney in 2019 year 4 with a 23-11 record
    Went 11-7 highest finish since the new format in SEC and still had great chance to go in 2020.. IMO we should have been a lock but we aren’t a blue blood
    Was suppose to be a down year and this team is very competitive .. and who’s to say can’t win the sec tourney .. ( that’s the only way we got in one year under Stands)
    Next year ( if the core guys stay) is the year if we don’t make a little noise the Fire Ben crew can come out and be loud , I might be in there with them ..

I’m not saying CBH is a top 10 coach and we can’t do better. But if you **** up that hire it’s rick ray 2.0 all over again and I doubt we have Gregg Byrne come to our rescue again to clean it up.

Yes basketball has changed since the early to mid 2000s.. but it also a lot tougher to get in the big dance than it was back then and the SEC isn’t Near as top heavy , much more competitive top to bottom last few years

The NCAA is always and should always be the ultimate goal...
    it took the Great One four years to get there
    It took Ben four years to get there
    It took Richard Williams 5 years to get there and 9 to get to sweet 16

And yes we should be more all in with basketball as a fan base and as an university..
    We were when RS was here... and his results mirror then ones now , and CBH is doing it with half the support and tougher competition top to bottom..
    Add to this - Williams made ZERO appearances in years 6-8. so, it's not like he was establishing a perennial post season team.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Could really make a run next Spring
    Recall reading the same exact post last year! Wasn't Coach but was on this board. Few thought Woodard would leave when he did.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

We've been a year away ever since Howland's been here. smh
    No Signature

vCash
    Who know, I don't disagree with most of you guys as you are more knowledgeable about the Xs an Os of sports then I am but as a rabid MSU fan, I can not tell you how sick and tired I am of hearing how young we are and that next year is the year. I have heard that about MSU sports teams all my life!

Can we, for the love of GOD, find another excuse for a change!

vCash

Our team is young and inexperienced and that is why it’s makes such dumb mistakes.
    College BB has changed! ALL teams are 'young'! Players that are good leave after one year; two years at best. Players that used to stick around and improve, now hit the portal!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    College BB has changed! ALL teams are 'young'! Players that are good leave after one year; two years at best. Players that used to stick around and improve, now hit the portal!

But having those one or 2 upperclassmen , who are both NBA talent is. A huge deal
    Example Bama
    Herb and Petty both would have gotten drafted last year , but came back
    Take those 2 guys off that team it’s a whole different looking Bama team
    Leading scorer Petty
    Best all around player Herb ( might be sec POY) and prob first rounder

Then mix in a 5 star freshman , and 2 4 star sophomores that don’t have to carry the load every night and your result is a 2 or 3 seed in the ncaa tourney as of now .

Just like this is would have been a different looking state team with Woodard back .. which prob ever one on our staff thought would be here for 3 years when we signed him..
    But he isn’t and that’s the hand you are dealt .

So next year with a Jr combo of Iverson and Dj
    With Smith and Cameron getting that freshman year out of the way ( look at the improvement DJ and Iverson made after year one )
    And Tulo with another year. Post starting to show promise
    Maybe pic up a grad transfer ( would love for it to be a knock down shooter or a extend 4 with range) maybe one the freshman this year make that step and get those minutes
    Maybe we have a incoming freshman ready for some minutes

Next year could be special if they return.. And this year ain’t over yet .. outside of Bama ( who we played well) There isn’t much separation ... lsu, mizzu, tenn are prob in, a handful of bubble teams, and some that could make a run..

And with your reasoning, what coach could we get to come here that would pull the players CBH and the staff do.. ?
    We are finally putting guys in the league..
    You keep doing that players will come
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-27-2021 at 07:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Recall reading the same exact post last year! Wasn't Coach but was on this board. Few thought Woodard would leave when he did.
    Wooard leaving was a killer. If he is on this team- we are a much better ballclub that likely closes out these games we have been narrowly dropping
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is