Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Flipmas?

vCash

Merry Flipmas?

Let's look at how this has gone so far this year.

Makylan Pounders- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8519 and 24/7 3 star 86

The crazy thing is he is already technically a bust for Ole Miss because they dropped him and I have no idea why you would try to flip a player you weren't 100% sure you were going to take. The Clarion-Ledger dropped the ball big time on what should be a cautionary tale for those who play games. Our staff will make sure that others are alerted however, and I can't imagine doing this to an in state player helps matters in state. Of course, when your head coach is actively looking for another job he probably doesn't care too much about the long term.

MSU replaced him with Canon Boone- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8552 and 24/7 3 star 87

So, MSU replaced Pounders with a slightly higher rated and more versatile offensive lineman in Boone who can play center as well as guard. Win for MSU.

Brandon Buckhaulter- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8743 and 24/7 3 star 88

At 6-3 220, He would have fit the same role as Spivey in Leach's offense. There were question marks about speed and effort however.

MSU replaced Buckhaulter with Antonio Harmon- 24/7 composite 4 star 0.9009 and 24/7 3 star 88

MSU ended up with a slightly taller and higher rated version of Buckhaulter and a player who is known for having a high work ethic. The bonus here is this one has to hurt for the Ole Miss bagman known as "The Driver" as he tries to steer anyone from his hometown....I mean comes into contact with away from MSU.

And then last but not least...

MJ Daniels- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8872 and 24/7 4 star 92

This is the guy who played games this year and still wants to get attention. Per rumor he also put a big dent in the Ole Miss bag account to the point where they basically got over their skis and promised more than they could deliver so Daniels basically has them on credit. Hope he gets that cash!

MSU replaced him with Jalen Green a 24/7 composite 4 star 0.9762 and a 24/7 5 star 98

MSU gets a veteran P5 DB who can play FS or CB who was much higher rated. However, like a free agent signing vs. a prospect from the farm in baseball there is the argument of higher known value for 2 years in Green vs the potential 4 years with Daniels. However, given the history of Ole Miss's Flipmas elves and the apparent money issues with boosters, I'd say the odds of Daniels staying at Ole Miss is relatively low making the risk worth the reward.

Anyway, Tis the season to be jolly and laugh at Ole Miss... again.

vCash
    Harmon is massively overrated and Green barely played last year. Green is a good get though but Im not willing to say he's better than MJ yet. He should be these next two years because he's got experience. MJ has a pretty high ceiling and has length. I expect nothing from Harmon but the same for Buckhalter. Boone over Pounders every day.

vCash
    I really doubt any of the 3 Flippers would have made it through one season of Leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Harmon is massively overrated and Green barely played last year. Green is a good get though but Im not willing to say he's better than MJ yet. He should be these next two years because he's got experience. MJ has a pretty high ceiling and has length. I expect nothing from Harmon but the same for Buckhalter. Boone over Pounders every day.
    Green on college experience alone is better than a high school player walking in the door. It's a reason he's a 5* guy the talent is there.

vCash
    'member Tee Shepard? Pepperidge Farm 'members.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Let's look at how this has gone so far this year.

Makylan Pounders- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8519 and 24/7 3 star 86

The crazy thing is he is already technically a bust for Ole Miss because they dropped him and I have no idea why you would try to flip a player you weren't 100% sure you were going to take. The Clarion-Ledger dropped the ball big time on what should be a cautionary tale for those who play games. Our staff will make sure that others are alerted however, and I can't imagine doing this to an in state player helps matters in state. Of course, when your head coach is actively looking for another job he probably doesn't care too much about the long term.

MSU replaced him with Canon Boone- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8552 and 24/7 3 star 87

So, MSU replaced Pounders with a slightly higher rated and more versatile offensive lineman in Boone who can play center as well as guard. Win for MSU.

Brandon Buckhaulter- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8743 and 24/7 3 star 88

At 6-3 220, He would have fit the same role as Spivey in Leach's offense. There were question marks about speed and effort however.

MSU replaced Buckhaulter with Antonio Harmon- 24/7 composite 4 star 0.9009 and 24/7 3 star 88

MSU ended up with a slightly taller and higher rated version of Buckhaulter and a player who is known for having a high work ethic. The bonus here is this one has to hurt for the Ole Miss bagman known as "The Driver" as he tries to steer anyone from his hometown....I mean comes into contact with away from MSU.

And then last but not least...

MJ Daniels- 24/7 composite 3 star 0.8872 and 24/7 4 star 92

This is the guy who played games this year and still wants to get attention. Per rumor he also put a big dent in the Ole Miss bag account to the point where they basically got over their skis and promised more than they could deliver so Daniels basically has them on credit. Hope he gets that cash!

MSU replaced him with Jalen Green a 24/7 composite 4 star 0.9762 and a 24/7 5 star 98

MSU gets a veteran P5 DB who can play FS or CB who was much higher rated. However, like a free agent signing vs. a prospect from the farm in baseball there is the argument of higher known value for 2 years in Green vs the potential 4 years with Daniels. However, given the history of Ole Miss's Flipmas elves and the apparent money issues with boosters, I'd say the odds of Daniels staying at Ole Miss is relatively low making the risk worth the reward.

Anyway, Tis the season to be jolly and laugh at Ole Miss... again.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    The only thing MJ has over Green is he has 4 years left compared to Greens 2.
    He will be impact player day 1 for us..
    and minus all the bullshit that will follow MJ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Green on college experience alone is better than a high school player walking in the door. It's a reason he's a 5* guy the talent is there.
    Oh, I agree. But long term, it's a wait and see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The only thing MJ has over Green is he has 4 years left compared to Greens 2.
    He will be impact player day 1 for us..
    and minus all the bullshit that will follow MJ
    Can't disagree. I like DBs with long arms. MJ has that. Green will be a huge upgrade. But he's got questions. I do think our defense is a better fit for him. He gives us flexibility.

vCash
    I expect nothing from Harmon
    Why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Why?
    Slow foot speed very raw WR. Will add mass. More of a TE prospect. Aubrey Bell is a decent comparison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Slow foot speed very raw WR. Will add mass. More of a TE prospect. Aubrey Bell is a decent comparison
    Does he have a decent catch radius? Is he not physical at all?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Harmon is basically Spivey with better hands. He can be a red zone target but I don’t expect a ton. Knox will be an all SEC guy if he reaches his potential and Polk is basically Osirus Mitchell with better upside.

vCash
    Our fans are our worst enemies. Oh, I may criticize the players throughout a game when they screw up, but I never criticize the new guys who want to come in and play for MSU before they ever step on the field. Some of you can brag on Daniels all you want. But he was used by our arch rival to play games. I hope he has struggles at Mississippi. I saw him play a couple of times and he wasn?t special. Me thinks the hype may be a bit exaggerated.

vCash
    I've saved this thread for future use..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Harmon is basically Spivey with better hands. He can be a red zone target but I don?t expect a ton. Knox will be an all SEC guy if he reaches his potential and Polk is basically Osirus Mitchell with better upside.
    I?ve heard so many times on this board how Spivey will be an all star when he gets it all together, but now Harmon who is ?Spivey with better hands? won?t be any good. Weird

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    I?ve heard so many times on this board how Spivey will be an all star when he gets it all together, but now Harmon who is ?Spivey with better hands? won?t be any good. Weird
    Ok. Everyone we signed is going to be an All American.I did not say Harmon was not going to be any good. We will be able to use Harmon in situations. He is a big body that can get position and be a possession guy and win battles in the red zone. He is not going to be the feature guy in this offense like Tulu or a Knox or Malik Heath or Payton or Walley has the potential to be because of their skill set.
    Last edited by Jarius; 01-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I really doubt any of the 3 Flippers would have made it through one season of Leach
    This is the primary reason I'm glad we've got the guys we got. There is no point in us even signing players that need coddling or are looking for special treatment. They just absolutely won't last under Leach. Probably would have worked under Moorhead because he was an excellent coddler, but not Leach. SO, it really doesn't matter if we did better or worse on the talent scale with the flips and their replacements, what is the most important factor is that we likely got replacement guys MUCH more willing to fall in line with Leach's methods and become contributors. I have no doubt that Daniels and Buckhalter would have ended up in the portal even if we had signed them. We just don't need any more Fabian Lovetts or Jarrian Jones type players on our roster. THEY WON"T LAST. So their talent level doesn't really matter because we know they would not have stuck it out under Leach. One thing I've seen in Leach's coaching career is that he doesn't need the most talented guy to be successful, he really needs the most dedicated and the most coachable guy and he will do just fine. It was that way at TTU and WSU and it will be the same way here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Ok. Everyone we signed is going to be an All American.I did not say Harmon was not going to be any good. We will be able to use Harmon in situations. He is a big body that can get position and be a possession guy and win battles in the red zone. He is not going to be the feature guy in this offense like Tulu or a Knox or Malik Heath or Payton or Walley has the potential to be because of their skill set.
    I think people are missing the point here. Ole Miss is all about perception. The point of flipmas is to publicly undermine State with a petty recruiting gambit and to undermine our recruiting with late hurdles. They are all about winning the press conference publicly and dirty, underhanded tricks privately.

The point of the poster I think is that unlike Dan or Joe this staff, through a combination of luck and planning, just went about their business with components that arguably equivalent, and from here we just has to see how it all shakes out.

I would say they could have closed better, but in general this staff is very professional and they will not be caught flat footed by SEC recruiting tactics a second time.

As an aside, it is crazy we always end up talking about the last minute commitments for months - these are the high drama kids who create or participate in these tug of war scenarios for attention. The players who made a commitment early and stuck by it are the ones worth talking about. But human nature, I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I think people are missing the point here. Ole Miss is all about perception. The point of flipmas is to publicly undermine State with a petty recruiting gambit and to undermine our recruiting with late hurdles. They are all about winning the press conference publicly and dirty, underhanded tricks privately.

The point of the poster I think is that unlike Dan or Joe this staff, through a combination of luck and planning, just went about their business with components that arguably equivalent, and from here we just has to see how it all shakes out.

I would say they could have closed better, but in general this staff is very professional and they will not be caught flat footed by SEC recruiting tactics a second time.

As an aside, it is crazy we always end up talking about the last minute commitments for months - these are the high drama kids who create or participate in these tug of war scenarios for attention. The players who made a commitment early and stuck by it are the ones worth talking about. But human nature, I guess.
    Great post!