Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Flipmas?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I think people are missing the point here. Ole Miss is all about perception. The point of flipmas is to publicly undermine State with a petty recruiting gambit and to undermine our recruiting with late hurdles. They are all about winning the press conference publicly and dirty, underhanded tricks privately.

The point of the poster I think is that unlike Dan or Joe this staff, through a combination of luck and planning, just went about their business with components that arguably equivalent, and from here we just has to see how it all shakes out.

I would say they could have closed better, but in general this staff is very professional and they will not be caught flat footed by SEC recruiting tactics a second time.

As an aside, it is crazy we always end up talking about the last minute commitments for months - these are the high drama kids who create or participate in these tug of war scenarios for attention. The players who made a commitment early and stuck by it are the ones worth talking about. But human nature, I guess.
    Well, ole miss shit in their lunch kit with the Pounders deal high school coaches all over this state will remember that!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Harmon is massively overrated and Green barely played last year. Green is a good get though but Im not willing to say he's better than MJ yet. He should be these next two years because he's got experience. MJ has a pretty high ceiling and has length. I expect nothing from Harmon but the same for Buckhalter. Boone over Pounders every day.
    High School players can add weight and even grow by the time they finish their 4-5 years in college. Harmon will do fine, a big physical body is an absolute weapon no matter how the foot speed time outs. Bear Wilson was slow, but could run a decent route and get in position to make plays....We will see about Harmon....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    High School players can add weight and even grow by the time they finish their 4-5 years in college. Harmon will do fine, a big physical body is an absolute weapon no matter how the foot speed time outs. Bear Wilson was slow, but could run a decent route and get in position to make plays....We will see about Harmon....
    He was our 4th option at that spot and only got it because Johnson didn't have the grades. He's not an SEC WR. Had no P5 committable offers. Bear was 10 times the athlete.
    Think we signed 3 or 4 guys that just aren't good enough and he's one. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 01-24-2021 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    He was our 4th option at that spot and only got it because Johnson didn't have the grades. He's not an SEC WR. Had no P5 committable offers. Bear was 10 times the athlete.
    Think we signed 3 or 4 guys that just aren't good enough and he's one. Hope he proves me wrong.
    I'm speculating here but
    Hampton
    Cavous (already left team)
    Harmon
    And one of the Juco OL

vCash
    Gabe has already left the team??
    Last edited by Hambone; 01-25-2021 at 09:52 AM.

vCash
    Boy, that is a pretty severe criticism of Harmon when you say a guy with 4.9 speed is 10 times the athlete. The thing that made Bear a good WR at the college level was his body size and ability to shield off defenders and go get the ball. He was certainly not the greatest athlete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Boy, that is a pretty severe criticism of Harmon when you say a guy with 4.9 speed is 10 times the athlete. The thing that made Bear a good WR at the college level was his body size and ability to shield off defenders and go get the ball. He was certainly not the greatest athlete.
    IIRCC - Bear didn't even play football until his SR year in HS. So, he basically learned to play WR in the SEC. That takes a helluva athlete - regardless of his actual speed.

It makes me laugh at how differently our fans react to a 4* signee vs. our friends in Oxford - MSU: "he's really overrated, had no other 'committable' offers (even though 247 shows Texas, Oregon, OM and UGA)"; OM: "our 4*s are the greatest!!!!! They should really be 5* they are going to change the program!!!!"
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    So some bitch because we don’t have 85 man roster, then bitch because they speculate that some of the signing class won’t pan out..
    when has more than 3/4 of a signing class ever gotten significant playing time .?

Who would have thought Ben Beckwith a walk on would have been as good as he was. On the the flip side Joe Morrow a high 4 star had less than a stellar career.

If some of these guys get here and aren’t moving up the depth chart or just aren’t SEC caliber guys odds are they will move on elsewhere sooner than later..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I'm speculating here but
    Hampton
    Harmon
    And one of the Juco OL

Cavous Is still a wait and see what the deal is.
    And if just 4 guys from the signing class don’t make an impact the 2021 will be the greatest signing class in the history of MSU football...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post

As an aside, it is crazy we always end up talking about the last minute commitments for months - these are the high drama kids who create or participate in these tug of war scenarios for attention. The players who made a commitment early and stuck by it are the ones worth talking about. But human nature, I guess.
    There is very little correlation between who fans are worried about on signing day and who ends up being important. I don't remember anything about B. Mckinney, but we all knew who CJ johnson was. Knew who Snoop or whatever his name was but didn't know who Kendrick Market was except they were teammates.

There's certainly some correlation. We all knew who Chris Jones was. Knew who AJ was. Knew who MOncrief was. Dak was a big deal (to us) as a recruit. But there are players like KJ Wright? Jonathan Banks? Don't remember a lot of discussion of them. And on the flipside everybody knew who the deaf defensive back was that flamed out at Ole Miss. Knew who the undersized WR/DB that orchestrated a flip (can't even come up with his name now), tobias singleton, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    And if just 4 guys from the signing class don’t make an impact the 2021 will be the greatest signing class in the history of MSU football...
    Yeah from my understanding he won't be back. I won't get into specifics but most here can use deductive reasoning

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    IIRCC - Bear didn't even play football until his SR year in HS. So, he basically learned to play WR in the SEC. That takes a helluva athlete - regardless of his actual speed.

It makes me laugh at how differently our fans react to a 4* signee vs. our friends in Oxford - MSU: "he's really overrated, had no other 'committable' offers (even though 247 shows Texas, Oregon, OM and UGA)"; OM: "our 4*s are the greatest!!!!! They should really be 5* they are going to change the program!!!!"
    Not a single one of those schools had a spot for Harmon. Not one. That's fact, not fiction. OM is all about some fiction. I prefer reality. Harmon will have the chance to prove people wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I'm speculating here but
    Hampton
    Harmon
    And one of the Juco OL
    Is this accurate on the Cavazous or is this a typo? I didn't have big expectations, but I did expect him to make it to August. Can someone confirm, this doesn't sound right.

vCash
    Not a single one of those schools had a spot for Harmon. Not one. That's fact, not fiction. OM is all about some fiction. I prefer reality. Harmon will have the chance to prove people wrong.
    I always thought Harmon would make an interesting TE prospect. Way too early to call him a boom or bust. I know he had genuine interest from about 30 schools over a year ago.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Is this accurate on the Cavazous or is this a typo? I didn't have big expectations, but I did expect him to make it to August. Can someone confirm, this doesn't sound right.
    He got homesick and left. He may come back but no one knows. As of now he isn’t with the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    He got homesick and left. He may come back but no one knows. As of now he isn’t with the team.
    Hope he comes back - that sucks for us, we lose that scholarship if he doesn't come back. We get it back next year, but that is next year.

vCash
    The homesickness thing always gets me. People are obviously wired differently, but I still have trouble wrapping my mind around it.

When I got to Starkville, it was the greatest thing ever. It's not like most people in Mississippi are coming from these great towns or cities. I came from a relatively nice place for Mississippi. Had some advantages over Starkville and looks nicer, but it still generally was not and is not as good as Starkville. Even if you come from a nice place, it's not like your home town was going to have another, what, 4k other people your age going through the same experiences. I get missing family, but just surprising to me how many people actually go back home because of it considering how great college can be. Seems to happen disproportionately with athletes, which if it really does and it's not just more noticeable, that would I guess make some sense as 5am workouts may not seem like such a great replacement for family being near compared to making new friends shooting the shit and hanging out and drinking and chasing girls.

vCash
    I find that highly suspicious. Must be more to the story. The dude is actually from MS and can't even make it in Starkville until the drop/add date? That just doesn't sound right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I find that highly suspicious. Must be more to the story. The dude is actually from MS and can't even make it in Starkville until the drop/add date? That just doesn't sound right.
    I don't know. He's like 30 minutes from Memphis and an hour from Ole Miss. Starkville is more like 2 and a half hours I think. Seems ridiculous but I knew people that went back home to the community college that was 20 minutes away from home because they were homesick in Starkville being an hour or an hour and a half away from home. And people that left MSU and Ole Miss to do a 30 to 45 minute commute to DSU because they were homesick.