Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk Ons in Starkville

vCash
    I've had no trouble finding a place to watch games in Starkville. Bulldog burger, The Grill, Mug shots, two brothers, Hobies...... all those places I have watched football on a Saturday afternoon/night at the bar.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I've had no trouble finding a place to watch games in Starkville. Bulldog burger, The Grill, Mug shots, two brothers, Hobies...... all those places I have watched football on a Saturday afternoon/night at the bar.
    Bulldog burger has one tv (last time I was there) that’s about 45 inches big. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about 4 or 5 big TVs with all the games on. Hobies does a pretty good job with it but I was talking more in the cotton district. Some of them don’t even have TVs. I’ve been in multiple on Thursday nights that didn’t have the nfl network so I left and went to 2 brothers.
    Last edited by Jarius; 01-23-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I have never had a dish that I didn?t enjoy at Walk Ons anywhere to include Hattiesburg. They have a lot of Cajun and seafood dishes that are as good as any chain restaurants anywhere. I would obviously prefer a local spot, which brings me to a question that I can?t figure out. Why are Starkville local bar owners not smart enough to realize that people want to watch sports in their bars? The ones in the cotton district especially have almost zero access to televisions. Starkville needs our version of Oxford?s Library in the worst way. Two Brothers is the only one that even comes close to having enough tv?s for me to sit there on a weekend and watch games all day. I end up going to Wild Wings or now I will go to Walk Ons for that reason. Most men want to watch sports when they are on tv. A bar should have that. Sorry for the rant.
    You and I would be friends. Hell, maybe we even are.

Starkville bars lack of knowledge about all things sports is mind blowing. When I go to watch a game somewhere, a good bit of the time the staff aren't even aware we are playing, and then when you ask to change the channel they don't know how to work the TV. It is infuriating.

I wish Starkville had a local bar that had good bar food, and had a good setup to watch games. Also, the staff and manager of said bar knew when big games were on and could control the TV system properly. A place like Buffalo Phil's in Tuscaloosa is kind of what I would have in mind.

For what it's worth, I heard that Walk on's was going to be on hwy 12 in front of the Hilton Garden Inn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Oxford City/Lafayette County Government >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Starkville City/Oktibbeha County Government ..... plus residents in Oxford/Lafayette embrace the University, unlike Starkville/Oktibbeha County residents.

This is the most infuriating thing ever. How many places in America have a university that is basically the only thing keeping the town from being a complete shit hole and the town still not embrace the university? The small mindedness of Starkville residents over the decades really is mind blowing. There was a significant number of residents that apparently wanted Starkville to be Eupora, and only lived in Starkville because there was a job there (almost certainly only made possible by the university and students, or else they could have just moved to 17ing Eupora).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is the most infuriating thing ever. How many places in America have a university that is basically the only thing keeping the town from being a complete shit hole and the town still not embrace the university? The small mindedness of Starkville residents over the decades really is mind blowing. There was a significant number of residents that apparently wanted Starkville to be Eupora, and only lived in Starkville because there was a job there (almost certainly only made possible by the university and students, or else they could have just moved to 17ing Eupora).
    This isn't false. I've never understood some of the attitudes towards the university from the resident of Starkville. I mean trust me I understand that traffic sucks a lot worse and Kroger is a little more crowded with students in town. But without them, our choices of places to eat out would probably be Wendy's, McDonalds, and a couple of Mexican restaurants. On top of that, as the post said, without the university Starkville's job market would be quite dry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

I wish Starkville had a local bar that had good bar food, and had a good setup to watch games. Also, the staff and manager of said bar knew when big games were on and could control the TV system properly. A place like Buffalo Phil's in Tuscaloosa is kind of what I would have in mind.

For what it's worth, I heard that Walk on's was going to be on hwy 12 in front of the Hilton Garden Inn
    AKA The Grill in the late 90's early 2000s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    AKA The Grill in the late 90's early 2000s
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    +1
    My son is going to attend state next year. Anyways, got there to tour and I see the new "Grill" was open. Told the son diddy is about to throw down. Its time to party. THAT PLACE SUCKS!!!!!!! What kind of hipster woman BS is that place???? TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED

vCash
    I liked the original Grill back in the day but I'm totally not getting this thread. There are places nicer now than it was then. Starkville has come a long ways in 20 years. I'm really impressed each time I get down there.

Anyway, what is up with that building? Why can't they keep anything going there?

Bulldog Burger has at least 4 TVs btw. I'm not saying it's a sports bar. But it is an option with good food.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I liked the original Grill back in the day but I'm totally not getting this thread. There are places nicer now than it was then. Starkville has come a long ways in 20 years. I'm really impressed each time I get down there.

Anyway, what is up with that building? Why can't they keep anything going there?

Bulldog Burger has at least 4 TVs btw. I'm not saying it's a sports bar. But it is an option with good food.
    I never understood the popularity of the grill back in the day. For all the unwarranted criticism of Starkville, if that was really the best option, that was damning.

It is wild that there isn't a local sports bar though if that's the case.

vCash
    I never understood the popularity of the grill back in the day. For all the unwarranted criticism of Starkville, if that was really the best option, that was damning.

It is wild that there isn't a local sports bar though if that's the case.
    It was cool because of location - the Cotton District was still newish, and it was the only restaurant/bar in the District (at least in the early to mid '90s). And, if my very hazy memory is correct, they had a very long afternoon happy hour. I don't think anyone else in Starkville was doing anything like it at the time. You were either a restaurant like Harveys or a bar like Cheers. Mulligans was maybe the only other daytime drinking place I remember as a student.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It was cool because of location - the Cotton District was still newish, and it was the only restaurant/bar in the District (at least in the early to mid '90s). And, if my very hazy memory is correct, they had a very long afternoon happy hour. I don't think anyone else in Starkville was doing anything like it at the time. You were either a restaurant like Harveys or a bar like Cheers. Mulligans was maybe the only other daytime drinking place I remember as a student.
    The bar at the Bully II motel(?) was a good daytime drinking spot in the 80's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Thats the thing a college bar isn't supposed to be some super clean fancy mimosa friday and sunday special fruity boy place. Yes the happy hour at the old grill started at 3 if i remember correctly. $1 dollar bourbon and cokes. I consumed a ton of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Thats the thing a college bar isn't supposed to be some super clean fancy mimosa friday and sunday special fruity boy place. Yes the happy hour at the old grill started at 3 if i remember correctly. $1 dollar bourbon and cokes. I consumed a ton of them.
    Apparently kids today have standards LOL. I drank at the Bully III, The Club, The Landing, and Macs and ate Allgoods. I don't think any of those places would survive as they were then in today's scene.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    What a hardship! **** Back in the mid 1970's to get a drink we had to go to county line road, len loos (sp) and some other bar I forget the name of, or we went to Columbus to the Club or Ironworks (rough place - you had to have some swagger to get out alive). There was no such thing as a sport bar back then - not in these neck of the woods anyway!!

vCash
    Moving further off topic.

My memory is fading but was the original Starkville Harveys in what was the Ramada Inn at the time?

I recall it was located approximately where Buffalo Wild Wings is. In fact, the condos behind wild wings may have originally been hotel rooms?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    What a hardship! **** Back in the mid 1970's to get a drink we had to go to county line road, len loos (sp) and some other bar I forget the name of, or we went to Columbus to the Club or Ironworks (rough place - you had to have some swagger to get out alive). There was no such thing as a sport bar back then - not in these neck of the woods anyway!!
    Len Lews, Welding Works and Triangle Club, I ran the Triangle Club back in those days.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Moving further off topic.

My memory is fading but was the original Starkville Harveys in what was the Ramada Inn at the time?

I recall it was located approximately where Buffalo Wild Wings is. In fact, the condos behind wild wings may have originally been hotel rooms?
    Yep Harveys was in the Ramada Inn, I checked in for the semester at the Ramada the fall of 1981, because I got to school 2 weeks late and there was nothing available in town. Me and Harveys became good friends.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

When I go to watch a game somewhere, a good bit of the time the staff aren't even aware we are playing, and then when you ask to change the channel they don't know how to work the TV. It is infuriating.
    Students

vCash
    Watching a game in a restaurant bar in Starkville and the local patrons in earshot of me acting like they're happy we won when I turn around to check the reaction. One might even have raised his glass. Good times.