Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So with Osiris going to the XFL or CFL and Pruitt transferring

vCash

So with Osiris going to the XFL or CFL and Pruitt transferring

Aren?t we really shallow ?Leach standard wise? at WR? Any chance on pulling Gilbert from LSU?

vCash
    We're fine depth wise at WR.

Gilbert is likely transferring out of the SEC due to having to sit a year if he transfers in conference
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    With Smith at DB not an option why not Knott? A 3rd string backup at Bama is bound to be better than a 3rd string backup we currently have. Not trying to be negative, but being a realist.

vCash
    Pruitt wasn't going to get on the field even if he stayed. WR has plenty of numbers. We have more depth issues at other spots.

vCash
    Leach only plays/reps 8 WRs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    With Smith at DB not an option why not Knott? A 3rd string backup at Bama is bound to be better than a 3rd string backup we currently have. Not trying to be negative, but being a realist.
    He was never an SEC caliber player. Not as good as what we've got since injuries.

vCash
    Knott needs to be a Landshark so he can be a legend...err.... I mean legacy.

vCash
    If walk-ons are getting PT at your position, and you are not, they call that "a clue".
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    I think we're okay at WR.

Outside: Heath/Ducking

Inside: Walley/Cumbest

Inside: Payton/Williams/Knox

Outside: Tulu/Polk/Spivey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I think we're okay at WR.

Outside: Heath/Ducking

Inside: Walley/Cumbest

Inside: Payton/Williams/Knox

Outside: Tulu/Polk/Spivey
    Seems like this is Williams 15th year?

vCash
    Javonta Payton moves to X/Z. Rufus Harvey and Caleb Ducking have a chance to surprise. I am pretty high on Polk too. He is going to be a weapon on the tunnel screens

vCash
    If Harvey can grow up a little bit and stay healthy he will shine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Javonta Payton moves to X/Z. Rufus Harvey and Caleb Ducking have a chance to surprise. I am pretty high on Polk too. He is going to be a weapon on the tunnel screens
    If it were up to me, Payton would move outside and Tulu would move inside, but this staff doesn't move receivers around. They put them in a spot and keep them there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    If it were up to me, Payton would move outside and Tulu would move inside, but this staff doesn't move receivers around. They put them in a spot and keep them there.
    I could easily be wrong but I don?t see Tulu playing outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I could easily be wrong but I don?t see Tulu playing outside.
    I mean he did it this year. Are you saying you think it's already been determined that he's moving inside? And is it certain Payton will be moving outside? Will be an interesting thing to monitor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I mean he did it this year. Are you saying you think it's already been determined that he's moving inside? And is it certain Payton will be moving outside? Will be an interesting thing to monitor.
    His size and speed both seem to indicate he would be a slot guy, but this staff doesn't seem to use size as an indicator for who plays inside/outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    His size and speed both seem to indicate he would be a slot guy, but this staff doesn't seem to use size as an indicator for who plays inside/outside.
    I thought we had moved to the 6?5? 230 lb. slot guys like Cumbest and Spivey. Are you saying we should be going back to the 5?9? 175 lb. slot guys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I thought we had moved to the 6?5? 230 lb. slot guys like Cumbest and Spivey. Are you saying we should be going back to the 5?9? 175 lb. slot guys?
    I'll leave that up to the coaches. As I stated, our coaches don't use height as a determining factor of where you play.

vCash
    Size isn't technically the determining factor for where receivers play in any offense; it's skillset. It just happens that typically bigger, taller guys have the vertical and body control you want for long throws deep and to the outside, and smaller guys tend to have the agility to exploit mismatches in the short to intermediate middle of the field. There are always exceptions though; the most notable is probably Steve Smith, who's a borderline Hall of Famer after playing most of his career on the outside at 5'9".

What's probably the case for Tulu, at least right now, is his above average ability to go up and get it for his size is in higher demand from an overall personnel standpoint than his ability in the slot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Spivey started outside at Z the last half of the season and barely got any reps inside other than in the two-TE jumbo set. Cumbest wasn't in the normal rotation at all, again just playing the two-TE set.

Generally smaller guys play in the slot because they don't have to face as much press coverage, but as thf24 pointed out its really more about skill set in this scheme and we have some pretty good plays for an X with his skill set. Plus, we've just had a need there with a lack of quality outside receivers. Again, we had friggin Spivey starting, which shouldn't have to happen.

If they move Tulu inside I suspect it will be because guys outside such as Ducking and/or Polk force their way onto the field this spring.