Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on MBK Program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I think we can be better. But we won't try.
    Maybe we could. We could be worse too.

I think we have a really good year next season as these guys get some more experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

I think we have a really good year next season as these guys get some more experience.
    I will never understand why you give so much more room for error with our basketball coaching than you do with our football coaching.

vCash

I think the odds of us making a worse hire are better than making a good one. By a good margin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think the odds of COHEN making a worse hire are better than making a good one. By a good margin.
    FIFY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I will never understand why you give so much more room for error with our basketball coaching than you do with our football coaching.
    If we were 6th in the sec in football wins over the last 4 seasons, I would fight anyone who called for us replacing our coach. We've been far more successful in basketball lately while really pouring no resources into the sport.

vCash
    If we were 6th in the sec in football wins over the last 4 seasons, I would fight anyone who called for us replacing our coach. We've been far more successful in basketball lately while really pouring no resources into the sport.
    That's a pisspoor argument considering our conference is the standard in football and mediocre in basketball.

vCash
    That's a pisspoor argument considering our conference is the standard in football and mediocre in basketball.
    It's our conference... that's who we play.

I looked though... we're tied for 9th in sec wins the last 4 seasons in football with tenn at 14. We've only got 6 of those the last 2 seasons though.

BTW, didn't tv last night say sec has more 1st round nba picks of any conference lately? Can't remember his time frame. This conference has gotten much better.

ETA... if you look at all time ncaa bids of the current conference teams, we're 10th in births. It isn't like we have some storied record in basketball
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-20-2021 at 03:53 PM.

vCash
    It's our conference... that's who we play.

I looked though... we're tied for 9th in sec wins the last 4 seasons in football with tenn at 14. We've only got 6 of those the last 2 seasons though.

BTW, didn't tv last night say sec has more 1st round nba picks of any conference lately? Can't remember his time frame. This conference has gotten much better.
    Yeah draft picks doesn't reflect getting better... note our team last year....

vCash
    Yeah draft picks doesn't reflect getting better... note our team last year....
    We finished 4th in our conference. That's first bye we've had in over a decade. And none of our picks were 1st rounders, so we didn't contribute to that stat at all

vCash
    Unless we hire Richard Williams again, we aren't satisfying fans in MBK. Any other coach would leave at first opportunity, which would likely happen after year two, provided we look motivated and well coached. At least we can maintain mediocre status with Howland.

vCash
    Instead of firing howland, we should raise his coaching budget. Find a way to get butts in seats next season. Get creative... offer big perks if your seats are used every game or whatever. Offer something to the students that attend 80% of games or something. Put in some resources.

vCash
    Do we want to commit to winning in basketball? The answer is, unfortunately, no. We'll continue losing to OM and playing in the NIT.
    107-73 in 5 1/2 seasons (one of which was below .500) is winning, and winning at a rate higher than all but 1 coach since integration. I look at our basketball team in much of the same vein as football - we are a developmental program that will have it's ups and downs. More than anything we need stability at the coaching level in order to build a culture and continuity. If the coach is winning, then I'm not going to look to fire them unless there are circumstances that warrant it (like a rotten culture , see Moorhead, Joseph).
    I want to see what Howland can do with these guys. They are young, seem to be coachable, and seem to be MSU kids (unlike Newman, Peters, and even Q - who were all here for an NBA payday).
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Deivon needs to start. Iverson's assist numbers say he's practically playing from the 2 already; we need to get some more distribution on the floor. I'm no coach and nothing against Matthews, but it seems pretty hard to justify that we're not better going Deivon/Iverson/DJ at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    107-73 in 5 1/2 seasons (one of which was below .500) is winning, and winning at a rate higher than all but 1 coach since integration. I look at our basketball team in much of the same vein as football - we are a developmental program that will have it's ups and downs. More than anything we need stability at the coaching level in order to build a culture and continuity. If the coach is winning, then I'm not going to look to fire them unless there are circumstances that warrant it (like a rotten culture , see Moorhead, Joseph).
    I want to see what Howland can do with these guys. They are young, seem to be coachable, and seem to be MSU kids (unlike Newman, Peters, and even Q - who were all here for an NBA payday).
    I can't disagree with this take enough. There's absolutely no comparison to football and basketball. Also don't think a coach staying for a period of time builds anything but complacency unless it's a Saban type coach. Winning in basketball means making the tournament regularly. We can do it if we want to put what's required into it. But we won't. Which is why a large number of fans just don't care and will settle for this.

vCash
    Instead of firing howland, we should raise his coaching budget. Find a way to get butts in seats next season. Get creative... offer big perks if your seats are used every game or whatever. Offer something to the students that attend 80% of games or something. Put in some resources.
    Howland won't get fired.

vCash
    Apathy has already set in for some and it is the kiss of death. It is in dangerous territory

vCash
    11 straight bowl trips and plenty of wins vs OM is better than our last 11 years of basketball.

They had me close to coming back bc word was they played hard and together then last night happens. Same deal for about 4 years now. The last game I watched and really cared about was that SEC tourney game vs Tennessee and that admiral kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    11 straight bowl trips and plenty of wins vs OM is better than our last 11 years of basketball.

They had me close to coming back bc word was they played hard and together then last night happens. Same deal for about 4 years now. The last game I watched and really cared about was that SEC tourney game vs Tennessee and that admiral kid.
    We'd have 3 straight postseason appearances if not for covid. NIT is same as some of the low level bowls we've made.

As far as calling for football firing... I did on Moorhead. I've beeched about our offense under leach, but I'm all for giving him his shot. I haven't called for him to be fired, yet, and I probably won't till year 3. Hopefully he answers the bell.

vCash
    I can't disagree with this take enough. There's absolutely no comparison to football and basketball. Also don't think a coach staying for a period of time builds anything but complacency unless it's a Saban type coach. Winning in basketball means making the tournament regularly. We can do it if we want to put what's required into it. But we won't. Which is why a large number of fans just don't care and will settle for this.
    What quantifies making the tournament "regularly?"

vCash
    Hiring his replacement would be much easier in that situation.
    This.