Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Governor's Cup this year

vCash

No Governor's Cup this year

That makes me sad because that is one of my personal top 10 baseball events I look forward to every year.

vCash
    Yeah it really does suck. Hopefully it'll be back in 2022.

vCash
    At least USM isn?t too chicken to play us in Pearl this year.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    You know the MS Braves hate this because that was one of the biggest events, if not THE biggest event held in Trustmark Park every year. Huge revenue boost gone this year.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    You know the MS Braves hate this because that was one of the biggest events, if not THE biggest event held in Trustmark Park every year. Huge revenue boost gone this year.
    Yeah the only crowd I've ever seen bigger at Trustmark was when Chipper Jones was there on a rehab assignment for one game. The place was literally wall to wall people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah the only crowd I've ever seen bigger at Trustmark was when Chipper Jones was there on a rehab assignment for one game. The place was literally wall to wall people.
    I remember the year the Atlanta Braves came to Pearl and the Governor's Cup that year outdrew the MLB exhibition game.

vCash
    Can?t have people get sick in Pearl. We need them to burn Minneapolis, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I remember the year the Atlanta Braves came to Pearl and the Governor's Cup that year outdrew the MLB exhibition game.
    The Governor's Cup game is such a great game for the fans, especially for those of us in central/south mississippi. Love that game and hate that we're not playing it this year.

vCash
    That makes me sad because that is one of my personal top 10 baseball events I look forward to every year.
    Why aren't they doing it? I'm assuming not COVID related since we are playing other games, including non-conference?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    At least USM isn?t too chicken to play us in Pearl this year.
    Seems like USM is a good opportunity for us to play in Biloxi. I don't understand why we don't have a couple of games in Biloxi each year. Seems like it would be an easy way to get exposure in south Mississippi and get some decent OOC teams to come in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Seems like USM is a good opportunity for us to play in Biloxi. I don't understand why we don't have a couple of games in Biloxi each year. Seems like it would be an easy way to get exposure in south Mississippi and get some decent OOC teams to come in.
    I'd love to see that too.

vCash
    Why aren't they doing it? I'm assuming not COVID related since we are playing other games, including non-conference?
    Some kind of a scheduling conflict that yes, is ultimately COVID related. By my unofficial count we are playing 51 games this year so I wouldn't be surprised if we play a game in Pearl against someone later in the year if possible. Essentially what has happened to everyone is all of the northern teams that we typically scheduled had to pull out so everyone had multiple cancellations that left everyone scrambling for games. As far as the Governor's Cup I'm not sure if it had to do with the SEC schedule which was just recently revealed and or some kind of conflict with the M-Braves who have played games the day of the Governor's Cup in the past but in the morning.

I'm all for playing games in Biloxi. To me the ideal opponent would be LSU to be honest but LSU won't play an OOC game outside of Louisiana. Tulane has a tough time getting them to play at Zephyr Field in NOLA. As far as playing USM I want to keep playing them in Pearl as a native Jacksonian. I'm afraid that MSU/USM would do some alternating schedule thing which I'm not for and that would hurt baseball n Jackson IMO. I liked playing Texas Tech in Biloxi last year. Maybe we can play Tulane there now that we appear to have a baseball relationship with them.

vCash
    I hate it because I want to keep the streak of beating their ass going!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Well, it's safe for this year! It's not like it stopped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Will they hang a banner for not losing this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Actually, the Mississippi Braves make little to nothing off the game. After expenses, whatever they make from concessions is the Braves entire take for the game. The subsidiary of Yates Construction that plans Non-Braves Events gets the gate minus team expenses. At the end of the 2024 Season, Trustmark?s Name License ends, and Yates transfers ownership of the stadium to the city of Pearl.

Edited to note that Bloomfield Equities is the organization that actually plans Events and has ownership of the Stadium until 2024 when it goes over to Pearl.
    Last edited by CaptainObvious; 01-19-2021 at 09:20 PM.

vCash
    Some kind of a scheduling conflict that yes, is ultimately COVID related. By my unofficial count we are playing 51 games this year so I wouldn't be surprised if we play a game in Pearl against someone later in the year if possible. Essentially what has happened to everyone is all of the northern teams that we typically scheduled had to pull out so everyone had multiple cancellations that left everyone scrambling for games. As far as the Governor's Cup I'm not sure if it had to do with the SEC schedule which was just recently revealed and or some kind of conflict with the M-Braves who have played games the day of the Governor's Cup in the past but in the morning.

I'm all for playing games in Biloxi. To me the ideal opponent would be LSU to be honest but LSU won't play an OOC game outside of Louisiana. Tulane has a tough time getting them to play at Zephyr Field in NOLA. As far as playing USM I want to keep playing them in Pearl as a native Jacksonian. I'm afraid that MSU/USM would do some alternating schedule thing which I'm not for and that would hurt baseball n Jackson IMO. I liked playing Texas Tech in Biloxi last year. Maybe we can play Tulane there now that we appear to have a baseball relationship with them.
    I'd be up with alternative series with Tulane. One year at Tulane and one year at Biloxi. If we did a weekend game in New Orleans, coast fans would travel to it. Then we'd just have to find an opponent for Biloxi every other year. USA or one of the LA directional schools?

It'd be awesome to play a governor's cup type game against LSU in Biloxi, but I'm not sure that would be good for MSU long term just because there are already so many damn LSU fans on the coast. Not sure we want to give them an opportunity to increase their presence.

Not sure it really matters to the players, but I think a game at Autozone park every other year or so would be good. Plenty of MSU people in Memphis and would give them an easy opportunity to get kids to a game. Is the RPI still screwed up where if we play Memphis at autozone park it counts as a neutral site game? If it counted as an away game like it should, then that seems like it would make sense to do on a fairly regular basis. Maybe not every year, but every other year would be good. If it's counted as a neutral site game, not sure how much sense it makes.

Another really cool minor league stadium that I would like to see us play in (ignoring the fact that it probably wouldn't make any sense) is Pensacola's.

vCash
    I'd be up with alternative series with Tulane. One year at Tulane and one year at Biloxi. If we did a weekend game in New Orleans, coast fans would travel to it. Then we'd just have to find an opponent for Biloxi every other year. USA or one of the LA directional schools?

It'd be awesome to play a governor's cup type game against LSU in Biloxi, but I'm not sure that would be good for MSU long term just because there are already so many damn LSU fans on the coast. Not sure we want to give them an opportunity to increase their presence.

Not sure it really matters to the players, but I think a game at Autozone park every other year or so would be good. Plenty of MSU people in Memphis and would give them an easy opportunity to get kids to a game. Is the RPI still screwed up where if we play Memphis at autozone park it counts as a neutral site game? If it counted as an away game like it should, then that seems like it would make sense to do on a fairly regular basis. Maybe not every year, but every other year would be good. If it's counted as a neutral site game, not sure how much sense it makes.

Another really cool minor league stadium that I would like to see us play in (ignoring the fact that it probably wouldn't make any sense) is Pensacola's.
    South Alabama is a likely option if we had an alternating opponent in Biloxi. I was impressed that they were able to pull Texas Tech and if they can keep pulling opponents like that there that would be awesome.

I hear your concern about LSU but to me that's not any different than playing Ole Miss in Jackson. I bet we would win our share given LSU's track record in midweek games against directional Louisiana teams.

I like Autozone Park and that's one encouraging thing to me about playing Arkansas State again- we may be able to get them to play a midweek game in Memphis. I think the biggest issue is Memphis uses the venue as a de facto home field so there would be some scheduling complexity if I had to guess. No one knows the true RPI formula and there is always some slight deviation. What we see on Warren Nolan is a close estimate but not official. I'm not sure how the NCAA counts that game for us and it may be different every year. I would guess that they would count it as a road game.

I'm all for playing midweek games in Pearl, Biloxi, Memphis, NOLA, and even Pensacola. I think it's good for the schools marketing and branding and I think our players from those areas probably look forward to playing in those venues. I know Jake Mangum liked playing in the Governor's Cup! One good thing about Pearl is our team can play a game and be back on campus around 1 AM. Memphis they could be back on campus maybe a little later than that. Biloxi has to be an overnight stay- and that complicates us playing a game there and why if we do I suspect that it will be a two game series like Texas Tech or tied in with a road trip to Baton Rouge like the year we played ULM in Biloxi.

vCash
    Why not play it at some other Jackson area venue?

Play at Hinds, Mississippi College, ...

Or chap Vandy by playing in Nashville, They have a minor league team
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 01-20-2021 at 01:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Why not play it at some other Jackson area venue?

Play at Hinds, Mississippi College, ...

Or chap Vandy by playing in Nashville, They have a minor league team
    I'm not sure that Trustmark Park is the issue. I'd probably guess that they aren't. It's probably a scheduling conflict.