Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Cohen is the real problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I can link way more than one article / tweet from national names that praised the Moorhead hire if you?d like. I don?t agree with Cohen or especially his wife on almost anything outside of sports but he is going to have the sports that matter here playing with excellent coaches. The biggest positive with him is he is not scared to admit he made a mistake and fire someone when that happens. He doesn?t accept mediocre coaches and when we have them he fired them immediately. That is something we have rarely had at State.
    If this is the case, I expect to see a new WBB coach next season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The 2017 baseball team can inherited was nowhere close to being loaded. Nowhere close. We had 3 guys who weren't pitchers pitching in sec games multiple times.
    2017 was a disaster before the season started. Many of us that watch baseball most closely expected only 20-25 wins. We even joked about 0-30 in the SEC

Cannizzaro in 2017 did incredible work. Credit to great player leaders like Jake and Cody and Rooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    If this is the case, I expect to see a new WBB coach next season
    No way that happens. McCray will get 3 years minimum no matter how bad she is. JoVester would have had another year but the lack of discipline was so bad it forced his hand.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

Uh

Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I can link way more than one article / tweet from national names that praised the Moorhead hire if you?d like. I don?t agree with Cohen or especially his wife on almost anything outside of sports but he is going to have the sports that matter here playing with excellent coaches. The biggest positive with him is he is not scared to admit he made a mistake and fire someone when that happens. He doesn?t accept mediocre coaches and when we have them he fired them immediately. That is something we have rarely had at State.
    They all reference one season and an SI article. He was demoted at UConn. It was all fluff by his agent. He'll, some tried to attribute Joe Brady to him. That was Payton. Saquan Barkley has now gotten two coaches jobs.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 01-17-2021 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No way that happens. McCray will get 3 years minimum no matter how bad she is. JoVester would have had another year but the lack of discipline was so bad it forced his hand.
    Not true. She's gone after two if it's this bad for two years. There's no big buyout and there's no rebuild here.
    This team lost one starter from a 27 win team. She could get fired very quickly if she can't get it right.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 01-17-2021 at 06:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Not true. She's gone after two if it's this bad for two years. There's no big buyout and there's no rebuild here.
    This team lost one starter from a 27 win team. She could get fired very wuickly if she can't get it right.
    Not in today's social justice world. She will get at least 3.

vCash
    Cohen is fine when he hires head coaches. He's the terrible when hiring assistants.

He needs a win/loss record and development track record to make a good hire while he's absolutely terrible at seeing the qualities that make good coaches good. I have some theories on the reasons for this but I'll keep them to myself.

My observation, however, is that he doesn't hire assistants that have an edge. As a HC Cohen had an edge but for whatever reason he doesn't hire head coaches that demand that.

He seems to value creativity, organization, and nice guys over people that can command the room and impose a respectful fear to the players.

vCash
    I like some things about Cohen...but he’s making it hard to defend him at this point.

And just like politics should stay off this board they should also stay out of our athletic department decision making. But unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case.

vCash
    Meh, if she runs into a ditch, she's gone. We fired Moorhead after two years. Cohen wanted him gone sooner. He's not going to sit around and watch the top program on campus come completely apart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I completely disagree that Cann was a good hire. The jury was still out on if he would have succeeded if he hadn?t got himself fired. He just inherited a loaded team with great leadership. We are just lucky Cann hired Gautreau.

Think about it. Cohen hired an assistant to run our best program. A year later, he was promising to bring in an experienced head coach who has coached at the high levels. It doesn?t add up. It was just Chapter 1 of Cohen trying to look smart.
    Cann took a depleted pitching staff to a super regional. He was also recruiting at a high level. He was a good hire.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 01-17-2021 at 06:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The biggest problem here was losing Vic. I wish I knew the whole story but not sure I ever will. Second problem at least appears to be this hire. While it would have been almost impossible to have gotten a coach that kept things rolling at the level Schaefer did, what's going on right now is an abomination.
    Nicki had a great player resume but she had basically Moorhead HC resume. It was a bad, bad hire for a program sitting in one of top in the nation. We were #2 in nation previous 4 year stretch only a few wins behind Uconn. We were one of top programs in nation and we hire a HC with little to no HC experience?? There were some major risks if Cohen had done his homework.

vCash
    Its possible for her to be gone after only 2 years but it would take something like missing the NCAA tournament both years which is a low, low bar to get over with all the talent she has to work with.

vCash
    No one has answered my question. Did we interview Johnny for the WBB HC position, or did she choose to go with Vic to UT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Nicki had a great player resume but she had basically Moorhead HC resume. It was a bad, bad hire for a program sitting in one of top in the nation. We were #2 in nation previous 4 year stretch only a few wins behind Uconn. We were one of top programs in nation and we hire a HC with little to no HC experience?? There were some major risks if Cohen had done his homework.
    Was there another proven P5 women's basketball HC willing to come? I don't know. I would have preferred Harris over what we did but there would have been risk with that as well because Johnnie Harris had no HC experience. NMP had 2 twenty plus win years at ODU but that is CUSA so its certainly not the competition level of the major conferences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    No one has answered my question. Did we interview Johnny for the WBB HC position, or did she choose to go with Vic to UT?
    Yes, Cohen definitely interviewed her. She didn't officially take the job with Vic until after we offered our job to NMP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The 2017 baseball team can inherited was nowhere close to being loaded. Nowhere close. We had 3 guys who weren't pitchers pitching in sec games multiple times.
    Yep, after injuries we didn't have a SEC pitching staff. Canny did about as good of a job that first year as you could hope for.

vCash
    Whether Leach was a good hire remains to be seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Whether Leach was a good hire remains to be seen.
    The hire was good based on a 20 year track record. Even Howland had a very solid track record.

Moorhead, Cannizzaro and McCray-Penson had no such track record. The talent level MSU recruits at in Baseball makes the hire of Lemonis look good so far. He looks to actually be stepping that recruiting level up, but apparently he was already a solid recruiter before coming to State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Meh, if she runs into a ditch, she's gone. We fired Moorhead after two years. Cohen wanted him gone sooner. He's not going to sit around and watch the top program on campus come completely apart.
    Cohen didnt fire Moorhead until he got permission to do it. She will get 3 years in today's climate unless she misses the NCAA's 2 straight years- and I dont see that happening with the talent she has.

vCash
    Not sure we will be back at level Vic took our women’s program. I’ve seen several Sec programs having recalling good years only to turn into average at best.
    Tn, Ga, Om, LSU and now probably MSU.