Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Espy leaving D1 sports Madison

vCash

Mike Espy leaving D1 sports Madison

Should help us with recruits from Madison Central. Maybe they'll hire some MSU people to balance things out since Shay Hodge will still be there.

vCash
    Doubt it. Ole Miss runs recruiting in this state.

vCash
    Why he leaving?

vCash
    Does anyone know if that building D1 is in is for sale? I've been looking for a commercial building and I keep seeing an ad as if it's for sale but no price is listed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    Does anyone know if that building D1 is in is for sale? I've been looking for a commercial building and I keep seeing an ad as if it's for sale but no price is listed.
    Hmmm...that's interesting.

vCash
    Actually it appears to be up for auction. Starting bid 900k.
    https://www.ten-x.com/commercial/lis...10/1000014031/

vCash
    Michael Oher and Chris Spencer were investors. Sounds to me like they're selling the franchise.

vCash
    It has a St. Dominic sign out front so I thought they owned it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    It has a St. Dominic sign out front so I thought they owned it.
    Hospitals often sponsor gyms and things like that. Like the Baptist Healthplex. The idea is use this facility and then if you get hurt use our sports medicine MD's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Michael Oher and Chris Spencer were investors. Sounds to me like they're selling the franchise.
    And I think David Morris is one of the founders of D1. Unfortunately Ole Miss is all over that organization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And I think David Morris is one of the founders of D1. Unfortunately Ole Miss is all over that organization.
    Also, unless I was misinformed yrs ago, Flector Cox was part owner in D1.
    However, he may have gotten out of it few yrs back.

Also, Mad Central needs to step it as far as a lot of D-1 talent. Haven?t had much to talk about in decades.
    Fortunately we haven?t missed out on much from MC lately. I know a lineman from MC went to Mizzo last cycle who we pursued late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post

Also, Mad Central needs to step it as far as a lot of D-1 talent. Haven?t had much to talk about in decades.
    Fortunately we haven?t missed out on much from MC lately. I know a lineman from MC went to Mizzo last cycle who we pursued late.
    That lineman is headed to JSU now too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post

There are a couple of players who will be 2023 prospects- Vic Sutton and Isiah Spencer.

vCash
    There are a couple of players who will be 2023 prospects- Vic Sutton and Isiah Spencer.
    What positions do they project as? Also, I like the Spencer family from Madison but I would never get a fuzzy feeling about one as a recruit to state. Any difference with this one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    What positions do they project as? Also, I like the Spencer family from Madison but I would never get a fuzzy feeling about one as a recruit to state. Any difference with this one?
    Sutton played QB and S for MC this year. I don't think he is a SEC QB but I do think he is a SEC caliber player or will develop into one. I think he ends up either at LB or S in college depending on how big he gets over the next two years. Spencer is a WR. As far as MC players go to me it really comes down to whether or not they are from Flora or from Madison and if they're from Madison then it depends on what school they pull for more. For example, Devon Desper was a MSU fan. So, as long as we offered- no worries. If a player is from Flora where the demographics are not as good they're going to be more likely to be enticed by handouts. See Tobias Singleton. If they are from Madison and they pull for Ole Miss growing up they're probably going to Ole Miss.

I don't know anything about Spencer's family but I do know that there are a LOT of Spencer's in Flora and odds are high that he is related to them. I don't know where Sutton is from either.

Espy leaving helps because he was known to steer MC players like Jimmy Holiday away from MSU. I think running the Air Raid will help with Spencer. Sutton- I'm not sure if he wants to play QB or not in college but I do know that MC is getting a QB from Oxford HS next year. I'm not sure how all of this is going to shake out but I have a feeling that MC will want to keep Sutton on defense if possible.

I think MSU landing John Lewis from Germantown is a GREAT and encouraging sign as far as recruiting Madison County.

vCash
    Thanks! Good info. I agree on the madison county situation. The Spencer's I knew are a great family but that trio from MC going to ole miss always made it feel like it'd be an up hill battle. Pumped about John Lewis from Germantown though.

More on topic, does Lacoste still have training going on in that area?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Thanks! Good info. I agree on the madison county situation. The Spencer's I knew are a great family but that trio from MC going to ole miss always made it feel like it'd be an up hill battle. Pumped about John Lewis from Germantown though.

More on topic, does Lacoste still have training going on in that area?
    It's an uphill battle for MSU because of the Ole Miss boosters in the area going all out for players. If there was a MSU boosters that was equally as nuts as XenaReb 20 years ago you might have been looking at a Civil War in recruiting that probably would have hurt MSU, Ole Miss, and Madison Central.

Yes, Paul Lacoste still does training in the area but he focuses more on regular people like me and I'm not sure if he even does athletes at all to be honest with you.

I believe the Baptist Healthplex does football training as well and I've seen Anthony Dixon there every once in awhile working with players. I'm not sure if it's a side hustle for him or what the deal is. I'd like to see AD at D1 if it still exists.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    It's an uphill battle for MSU because of the Ole Miss boosters in the area going all out for players. If there was a MSU boosters that was equally as nuts as XenaReb 20 years ago you might have been looking at a Civil War in recruiting that probably would have hurt MSU, Ole Miss, and Madison Central.

Yes, Paul Lacoste still does training in the area but he focuses more on regular people like me and I'm not sure if he even does athletes at all to be honest with you.

I believe the Baptist Healthplex does football training as well and I've seen Anthony Dixon there every once in awhile working with players. I'm not sure if it's a side hustle for him or what the deal is. I'd like to see AD at D1 if it still exists.
    Well there are a couple as crazy as them starting now. They better buckle the hell up going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Well there are a couple as crazy as them starting now. They better buckle the hell up going forward.
    No pun intended when you said "buckle"? Yeah we're going to have to fight as usual like we always do. I'd like to see our boosters be proactive for once in Madison at MC.

vCash
    A lot more croots that fit Leachs system in Florida, Texas and Georgia...the 50th ranked recruit in those states would be top 10 recruit in Mississippi. Leach isn?t going to play around with kids with handlers looking for a handout.