Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miss. State Women's Basketball Recruiting

vCash

Miss. State Women's Basketball Recruiting

Women's basketball team could use additional rebounding and defensive help in the post area. This has been a big issue since Teaira McCowan and Anriel Howard left. Coach Schaefer tried to bring in Esmery Martinez, then later Deyona Gaston and Lauren Ebo who both ultimately followed him and his staff to Texas.

Has Miss. State been involved with Amaz Carmichael from Hinds Community College? Amaz Carmichael (6-3 forward, Hinds Community. College)
    Last season at Hinds.....
    16.4 pts per game
    14.3 rbs per game (4th NJCAA)
    53 blocks

Miss. State fairly recently offered Taiyanna Jackson (6-5 forward, Trinity Valley Community College).
    Last season at Trinity Valley...
    9.6 pts per game,
    13.2 rebs per game (6th NJCAA)
    Offesive rebounds 143 (7th NJCAA)
    118 blocks (2nd NJCAA)
    31.6% from 3 pt range
    59.9 fg %
    Last edited by jdelta02; 01-15-2021 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    Gaston and Ebo are big losses in hindsight, they are two of UT's better rebounders. Vic is getting more from them than we are getting from Cooks and Morris.

I like Carter as a scorer and she has some rebounding ability, but she doesn't do much for me in terms of defense.

vCash
    We don't need more or new bodies to rebound, we need effort and attitude to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    We don't need more or new bodies to rebound, we need effort and attitude to do it.
    Amen

vCash
    They could use the Ginger right now! Too bad she was unhappy here.

vCash
    We have big Yemiah Morris now but I rarely ever see her getting any minutes.

vCash
    We need help down low next year no doubt - we will probably bring in 3 and maybe even 4 post players so we need to hit big on 1-2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I agree. I think that’s the difference. Vic got so much out of his players. It was 100% effort. Toughness and effort and hustle were constantly stressed. That is what’s missing in all elements of our game.

vCash
    Bringing more players to the program isn’t going to help if the players aren’t bringing effort to the court.

vCash
    From the games I've watched, which is most of them... I think our highest energy and effort is a freshman, Madison Hayes.

vCash
    Also, Madison is an outstanding rebounding guard, one of the team's best rebounders and passers. High energy player. The more she develops..the better for the team. Need her on the court.

6-6 center Yemiyah Morris can help this team as well.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 01-16-2021 at 12:22 AM.

vCash
    I don't understand why Morris isn't playing more? Getting her in at the 5 & Carter at the 4 would be ideal imo.

vCash
    Recruiting helps, but this team has the talent to compete for a #1 seed (top 4 in the country) but unfortunately does NOT play anywhere close to the level of defense that allowed for the success of the past 4 seasons. Allowing Bama to score 86 points would have Vic blowing a gasket.

vCash
    Why can we not play a zone, with Morris in the middle and stop the dribble drives. Play Matahru, Rickea, Carter, Morris and Hayes. I believe I could take that 5 and win most games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    I don't understand why Morris isn't playing more? Getting her in at the 5 & Carter at the 4 would be ideal imo.
    Only reason I can figure is that NMP has claimed she wants to play an uptempo fast paced style. I guess having Morris on the floor, especially with Carter on the floor as well, would not be very conducive to playing that way. Other than that it really makes no sense why Morris has been pretty much MIA since SEC play has started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    We have big Yemiah Morris now but I rarely ever see her getting any minutes.
    She doesn’t fit the one on one offense we run. Luckily she’s there when one of them gets in trouble driving and they can dish to her under the; basket. Otherwise she won’t get the ball in this wild shoot it playground offense.

vCash
    Saw this update regarding Miss. State women's basketball signee.....
    Jasmine Shavers (Mesquite, TX..Horn HS)...averaging 26.3 points per game this season

Few Notes
    Jasmine Shavers, listed 5-10 guard, ESPN #55 overall, class of 2021. She's an outstanding perimeter shooter/scorer, been coached by former NBA standout Jason Terry...AAU, this during time playing her high school basketball at Mesquote Horn. He indicated in an article last July that Shavers is the best shooter that he has ever coached.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 01-29-2021 at 08:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Saw this update regarding Miss. State women's basketball signee.....
    Jasmine Shavers (Mesquite, TX..Horn HS)...averaging 26.3 poits per game this season

Few Notes
    Jasmine Shavers, listed 5-10 guard, ESPN #55 overall, class of 2021. She's an outstanding perimeter shooter/scorer, coached by former NBA standout Jason Terry at Mesquite Horn HS, Mesquite TX. He indicated in an article last July that Shavers is best shooter that he has ever coached.
    Glad we got her signed before she could watch this team play under NMP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Glad we got her signed before she could watch this team play under NMP.
    Let’s go ahead and Make it a package deal and trade NMP for Jason Terry....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    From the games I've watched, which is most of them... I think our highest energy and effort is a freshman, Madison Hayes.
    Maya Taylor is near the top as well. Maybe she just looks quicker and faster because she's relatively small.