Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss. State vs Alabama (Women's Basketball)

vCash
    We are just a middle of the pack SEC team this year and we aren't going to beat many of the better teams in the SEC. We will be lucky to have a winning SEC record.

vCash
    I can?t figure if Vic knew after last year that this group was going to be a bunch of ?me? lazy players and got our while the getting was good or if this Coach is just that poor of an offense x & o?s coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    It was MSU women's basketball last year. This is the same team Vic had that was lazy, wouldn't rebound or play defense. Sometimes I wonder if it really wasn't that hard for Vic to leave because this team had a lot of issues last year too. I don't blame Nikki for most of it at this point. She inherited these lazy players.
    Agree with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    We made a mistake with our coaching hire. This isn't MSU Women's basketball.
    The gravy days are likely over for this program. Attrition is gonna kill us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I can?t figure if Vic knew after last year that this group was going to be a bunch of ?me? lazy players and got our while the getting was good or if this Coach is just that poor of an offense x & o?s coach.
    Queen V and Big T were just very special players. We don't have any players on this team that are at that level. We have a lot of pretty good players but nobody that take a game over when we are playing a good team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    It was MSU women's basketball last year. This is the same team Vic had that was lazy, wouldn't rebound or play defense. Sometimes I wonder if it really wasn't that hard for Vic to leave because this team had a lot of issues last year too. I don't blame Nikki for most of it at this point. She inherited these lazy players.
    If it's the same team Vic had last year, why were we 27-6 last year, 13-3 in sec, and going to be a 2 or 3 seed last year in the tourney vs what is happening this year, where we may not even make the tourney? We suck right now.

vCash
    Yep....I can?t believe I was once excited about MSU WBB... those days are gone.

vCash
    Final
    Miss. State 78
    Alabama. 86

Rickea Jackson 15 pts
    Myah Taylor 15 pts, 6 assists ,2 to, 3 stls

Notes....
    Miss. State gave up a 11 point halftime lead. 19 piont swing in score (from up 11 to losing by 8) after halftime. Alabama with 11..3 pointers (11-30) in the game. They out rebounded Miss. State 44 to 33, including 16 offensie rebounds to Miss. State's 10. Also, Alabama...getting to the free throw line, converting...17-21 (81%). Miss. State...7-10 (70%)
    Last edited by jdelta02; 01-14-2021 at 11:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Queen V and Big T were just very special players. We don't have any players on this team that are at that level. We have a lot of pretty good players but nobody that take a game over when we are playing a good team.
    Disagree, talent ain't the problem. Most talented team in MSU history from a plain talent standpoint. Team play, hustle and attitude is a problem though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Whats Nikki's buyout? **
    Don't know but I don't think it matters, she has a Rick Ray contract at least - 5 years.

vCash
    We are not the most talented team from a talent standpoint unless you go 100% by ratings.

Having T was the equivalent of having Shaq and we surrounded her with proper role players.

This roster is still talented but incredibly flawed with how the pieces fit together and much like a lot of recent men’s teams they really lacked natural basketball instincts/smarts

vCash
    Nikki played for Pat Summit and is supposedly all about some Pat. Well; Pat would have gone knee deep in some ass before, during, and after this game. Pat is probably wouldn?t won?t her name anywhere near this program.

vCash
    This actually reminds me of Stans downfall - he used to really focus on receuiting a lot of tough hard nosed players with a little offensive talent sprinkled in.

Then he started chasing talent and ignoring traits like toughness and basketball smarts thinking he could coach them up. In the end he took too many of that types and it killed our identity and it killed his career here.

I see a lot out of this roster. A lot of individual talent but no cohesion, toughness, leadership and will to win.

vCash
    Good coaches with good talent win games. And this isn't a young team. Sorry defense, poor effort rebounding, out of control offense, no toughness, no coaching.

vCash
    Save me the excuses.

She inherited a top 15 team that added a McDonald's All-American and returned plenty of talent, and we've regressed in every area. No hustle, no grit, no toughness. That's coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    We are not the most talented team from a talent standpoint unless you go 100% by ratings.

Having T was the equivalent of having Shaq and we surrounded her with proper role players.

This roster is still talented but incredibly flawed with how the pieces fit together and much like a lot of recent men’s teams they really lacked natural basketball instincts/smarts
    Ratings is all there is and this is most talented in history. 3 McDonalds AA and lots of top 100 players. I don't but much into recruiting ratings. I'll take a lower rated good talent but with good attitude, work ethic, leadership, discipline any day over a 5 star attitude.

Vic had starters playing in a NC game that would be practice squad on this team from a talent standpoint but they had heart, fight and will to win.

We play like victims. Too much pouting, sulking on the floor. I'll stop there but you don't succeed in anything with that mindset. Vic was the opposite. You think it is bad now wait till the Vic influence remnant is gone.

vCash
    That Alabama team was just flat better. Last year and this year.

vCash
    If you can’t be a top team with 3 McD’s AA players- you’re in trouble. She won’t ever have more talent than she has now. I said the same exact thing about JoVester.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Ratings don’t mean talent at this level. I’m watching the games and we don’t have a quickness advantage at spots like we used to. We don’t have a size advantage like we used to and we don’t have an intangible advantage we used to.

Of the teams we’ve played who’s two players would you take Taylor and Mingo Young over? How many pf you’ve seen us play would you take Cooks over? That’s 3/5 of our team.

Right now we have to figure out how to build around jackson, Matharu, Carter and Hayes on offense. We are simply lost on that end now for a variety of reasons but a lot of it is most of those players don’t understand spacing.

I don’t know if I’ve seen a scorer as talented as Jackson have such terrible court awareness. She’s simply lost on the court most of the time and almost all her shots are forced.

On defense we are a nightmare because our guards are too small to fight through screens and our bigs aren’t good defenders. We are asking to get abused in man to man. At this long of pit Morris I’m the middle
    of a zone and hope she can rebound and alter shots. That or we’ve got to commit to pressing more and hope to force mistakes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Disagree, talent ain't the problem. Most talented team in MSU history from a plain talent standpoint. Team play, hustle and attitude is a problem though.
    Talent or no talent I am talking about how a player affects a game. Alabama was getting layup after layup in the second half. Big T would have put that crap into the seats. VV was just a scorer much moreso than anyone on this team right now. When we are depending on Myah Taylor to try and drive the lane and score in crunch time then we just don't have what we need offensively.