Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MSU/Texas A&M

vCash
    On to Florida. This will be a tough, but winnable game. I expect Stewart to be much better coming off a terrible game, which should give us a good shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We're a young, bubble type team. This is what young, bubble type teams do... they play well and beat teams they probably shouldn't like mizzou, and then play bad and lose to teams they probably shouldn't like aTm. Tonight was a bad loss, but it shouldn't be too unexpected if we genuinely realize what type of team we are.
    That?s called a college basketball team. When are we going to not be that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    If Molinar, t. Smith, and Stewart are all here next season, we should be more than a bubble type team. Get those guys back, and there shouldn't be hiccups like this.

vCash
    We're a young, bubble type team. This is what young, bubble type teams do... they play well and beat teams they probably shouldn't like mizzou, and then play bad and lose to teams they probably shouldn't like aTm. Tonight was a bad loss, but it shouldn't be too unexpected if we genuinely realize what type of team we are.
    I think this is a very good point, and I did not have high expectations for this team before the year. Frankly we are still better than I expected.

The issue is that it seems like a continuation of the last several years for many of our fans. A night like tonight is nothing new under Howland. Maybe it’s not fair to blame this specific team for the sins of teams that came before them. But the common thread is the coach and that’s where a lot of the frustrations lie.

The trend of us totally lacking the ability to sustain momentum for several years running is maddening as heck to our fans who so badly want this to be like the good ole days. I don’t think most people care that this is an inexperienced team, there has been a stigma attached to this program for years and a loss like this one justifies many of those pre-conceived notions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Also, our best player went 3-14 from the field. That alone can kill even great teams in a single game.

vCash
    If Molinar, t. Smith, and Stewart are all here next season, we should be more than a bubble type team. Get those guys back, and there shouldn't be hiccups like this.
    They will be here, and it will not make a damn bit of difference. We have issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    it wasn't just the end of the half and end of the game plays. we should be pushing the ball after every miss. we are horrible in the half court. he should have instructed Molinar to attack more. We should have been getting easy buckets off their trap defense. we played exactly the way A&M wanted us to play and that was literally their only chance to win. And he probably should have pulled DJ. DJ was passing up open shooters to brick mid-range jumpers.
    Exactly what I was implying in my two post. Should have blown them off the floor.

vCash
    guys as a former ranter and raver over every MSU loss there is one thing i have learned this past year....in the stream of time sports are nothing to get really upset about. HAIL STATE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    Exactly what I was implying in my two post. Should have blown them off the floor.

What a disappointing game! Hard to watch us blow a 12-15 point lead!

vCash
    I gave up on basketball when the wheels fell off for Stans and Ray crashed the bus. Got excited about Howland, but he's not changing anything and has been totally inconsistent. But who really thought we would be good this year? I didn't. We've shown flashes but that's been the norm since Howland arrived.

vCash
    Tough and bad loss .. needed that game , let’s soo how this young team bounces back
    Have to pick up one on the road now to off set that
    I knew Texas AM game would be ugly, all of their games are like that.. ugly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I'm just saying that outside of 1996 and few seasons in the 60's, this has pretty much been who we are.
    We were a top 3/4 SEC program 2000-2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Won SEC in 91 too. Yes we aren't UK or UF but we have been a very good program for a lot of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Also, our best player went 3-14 from the field. That alone can kill even great teams in a single game.
    DJ hits one of those missed layups or an easy jumper he missed we win and no one thinks anything. It was a terrible loss just like UK.

I hope DJ doesn't go mental after last night. I could see him overthinking his shooting late in second. Never a good thing having played competitive basketball a lot in my younger years. You have to shoot with confidence, be loose, and not thinking. He was thinking as he was shooting late in 2nd half.

vCash
    Hmm...many of those "Western Division" championships sorta gloss over the fact we were extremely mediocre during that stretch, so not sure the "top 3 or 4" really holds up factually. For example, for that stretch only the 01-02, 03-04, and 07-08 seasons did we finish with double digit conference wins. A whole bunch of 9-7 records....Good enough to "win" in the historically bad SEC West during that stretch, but it doesn't mean we were great. Consistent, perhaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Won SEC in 91 too. Yes we aren't UK or UF but we have been a very good program for a lot of years.
    And Howland has won at least 20 games 3 years in a row, and had us in position last year to make the dance two years in a row had it not been for COVID.

vCash
    Playing a schedule weighted by an incredibly weak division during that period that no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    We did, which was only good for a 5 seed in the NCAA, and we got blown out in the first round.

Being one of the better teams in the SEC hasn't meant a whole lot historically nearly as often as it has for football. All time, per Wikipedia, we rank tied for 97th in NCAA tournament appearances and tied for 80th for tournament wins. That's better than many in the grand scheme of things (though keep in mind how diluted the bottom of the list is by those who weren't or haven't been in the running nearly as long), but not exactly what I'd call "very good" or worthy of high expectations year in and year out that some seem to believe we're entitled to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Playing a schedule weighted by an incredibly weak division during that period that no longer exists.

We did, which was only good for a 5 seed in the NCAA, and we got blown out in the first round.

Being one of the better teams in the SEC hasn't meant a whole lot historically nearly as often as it has for football. All time, per Wikipedia, we rank tied for 97th in NCAA tournament appearances and tied for 80th for tournament wins. That's better than many in the grand scheme of things (though keep in mind how diluted the bottom of the list is by those who weren't or haven't been in the running nearly as long), but not exactly what I'd call "very good" or worthy of high expectations year in and year out that some seem to believe we're entitled to.
    This.