Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howland and the Dawgs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    So...each year a coach at Mississippi State should tell his team. "Guys we got to work hard to make that appearance in the postseason!! We got to work to make that NIT!!! Should that be the expectations for MSU fans? We are just Mississippi State and this is all we can achieve? Howland has had his chance. He is washed up and it is time to retire.
    The last postseason, we were in the ncaa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I don't think most could've predicted the jump that Iverson has made. We're at worse 9-3 if he plays the first 2 games and I think we're probably 10-2.
    Valid point but even then, it was idiotic to try to draw strong conclusions from the early performance of our team of mostly newcomers starting the season against multiple quality opponents after not getting nearly the normal amount of preseason practice and scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's acceptable standards here?
    Doesn't matter, the goalposts will always be one notch further for those who don't know anything about basketball other than thinking we're supposed to be a perennial contender due to the 10-25 years ago out of our mostly putrid basketball history during which we enjoyed some sporadic success.
    Last edited by thf24; 01-13-2021 at 12:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Valid point but even then, it was idiotic to try to draw strong conclusions from the early performance of our team of mostly newcomers starting the season against multiple quality opponents after not getting nearly the normal amount of preseason practice and scrimmage.

Doesn't matter, the goalposts will always be one notch further for those who don't know anything about basketball other than thinking we're supposed to be a perennial contender due to the 10-15 years ago out of our mostly putrid basketball history during which we enjoyed some sporadic success.
    It really is strange that some of our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant at basketball.

vCash
    The last postseason, we were in the ncaa
    Unless you want a back and forth of 2 pages worth of ridiculous takes don’t waste your time.. He has already embarrassed himself enough with the previous few posts..

vCash
    Yes! That is exactly what I was thinking!! Glad you see it too. Hanging your hat on postseason "appearances" is ridiculous especially if that postseason includes the NIT.
    So the exact same thing we did under Stansbury is considered ridiculous by you. Stans only won 4 tourney games and only won 1 against a team from a power conference. You're acting like we're some college basketball blue blood. WE ARE NOT. We've made one Final 4 in our history and only made it out of the first weekend a handful of times. So hell yes a postseason appearance, especially a NCAA tourney appearance, should be celebrated. If you're so upset with our team and coach then go support the women. I think they have plenty of room on the bandwagon at the moment. You can even get a FRESH AS HAIL shirt!!

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Unless you want a back and forth of 2 pages worth of ridiculous takes don’t waste your time.. He has already embarrassed himself enough with the previous few posts..
    no Ari(Fools) Gold I haven't embarrassed myself at all. I guess I just ain't like the rest of you that are content with being mediocre. That is what is embarrassing.
    No Signature

vCash
    "making the post season for a 4th consecutive year" is nothing to hang your hat on, when you get there and fall flat on your face. Howland is still a bad coach and will continue to fail to put forth a consistent team. I am tired of these "Wonder what team will show up tonight" games.
    So I assume you were ready to fire Stans then seeing as he was terrible in the Tourney with teams that should have gone deep.

vCash
    no Ari(Fools) Gold I haven't embarrassed myself at all. I guess I just ain't like the rest of you that are content with being mediocre. That is what is embarrassing.
    Eh it's one thing to not be content with being mediocre it is another to live in la la land.

You apparently haven't followed basketball all that much until recently as we have never been a NC contender. We now have a top 15 coach and some talent. The guy took over possibly the worst Power 5 program in the country and in what 5 years had us competitive and making tournaments.

In my mind that is a hell of a turn around and I can't wait to see the improvement we make over the next 5

Lets start with this: Were you in favor of firing stans? If not, than your argument is dead in the water right there because he never achieved any more than Howland has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Eh it's one thing to not be content with being mediocre it is another to live in la la land.

You apparently haven't followed basketball all that much until recently as we have never been a NC contender. We now have a top 15 coach and some talent. The guy took over possibly the worst Power 5 program in the country and in what 5 years had us competitive and making tournaments.

In my mind that is a hell of a turn around and I can't wait to see the improvement we make over the next 5

Lets start with this: Were you in favor of firing stans? If not, than your argument is dead in the water right there because he never achieved any more than Howland has.
    I don't think it's even necessary to bring Stans into it specifically. For a relatively brief period in somewhat recent history, we made the tournament more years than most, and didn't do much once we got there outside of one fairy tale season. Big whoop; a ton of programs can claim that. Prior to that, we have very little to write home about. Yet all of a sudden, we shouldn't be satisfied with anything short of deep tournament runs most years and looking consistently great doing it? It's absurd. It's akin to the OM fanbase's delusion that they're an elite football program ever due to regain their former glory because they won some "national championships" prior to integration and not jack else.

vCash
    Have you even watched the team this season? Your comments suggest you have not.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    A BIG 5 game stretch coming up for us. We need to sweep the 3 home games and then figure out a way to split the 2 road games. @UT and @Bama will be tough but those are the games you have to win to be a tournament team. Going 4-1 through this stretch would give us a lot of momentum going down the home stretch and we'd also be sitting at 12-5 and 7-2 in the conference. We probably need 12-13 conference wins to feel good about our tourney chances. That would also get us the all important double bye in the SEC tournament.
    You?re asking for us to be consistent. That won?t happen with a Howland coached team. See last nights game. But according to the ?ignorant? here this is our normal and we should accept it.

vCash
    It really is strange that some of our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant at basketball.
    I think that group mostly made up of fans who were lucky enough to have been on campus for the '95 & '96 seasons or the '02-'04 runs. I was there Fall '91-Dec. '94, and got to see us go 15-13, 13-16, 18-11, and missed '94-'95 because only 1 game took place before I graduated. I went to a pretty empty Hump for 3 years to see some less than mediocre ball. My friends who were there in '95 and '96 have a much higher expectation for MSU basketball than I do.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-14-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Hate to say it but yeah last night did us in. That was a must win. Terrible loss.

vCash
    I'll let everyone in on a little secret - remove your expectations and simply enjoy success when it comes. I'm not saying it's the way to build a great program but it is absolutely the way to enjoy being a fan.

If you're pissed off at where our program is right now, then years like 2004 will be less enjoyable for you than for everyone else and the rest of the time you're going to be miserable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'll let everyone in on a little secret - remove your expectations and simply enjoy success when it comes. I'm not saying it's the way to build a great program but it is absolutely the way to enjoy being a fan.

If you're pissed off at where our program is right now, then years like 2004 will be less enjoyable for you than for everyone else and the rest of the time you're going to be miserable.
    Words to live by.

If the only way you can derive any satisfaction from a recreational pastime like sports fandom is taking a consistently and aggressively pessimistic outlook (and projecting it onto others), you're probably better off tuning out and spending that time and mental energy elsewhere.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    Hate to say it but yeah last night did us in. That was a must win. Terrible loss.
    Not of you run off 5 or 6 wins in a row. Either way, we once again 17ed ourselves early on games we shoukd have won by 18 and lose cause we cannot
    1. Reboubd
    2. Break a press
    3. Refuse to run a play coming off of a timeout we called
    4. Not even getting a shot off.
    5. Can't shoot free throws
    6. Just allow the other team dictate both ends of the floor for 20 minutes.

Just take a pick. Same thing over and over again.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Not of you run off 5 or 6 wins in a row. Either way, we once again 17ed ourselves early on games we shoukd have won by 18 and lose cause we cannot
    1. Reboubd
    2. Break a press
    3. Refuse to run a play coming off of a timeout we called
    4. Not even getting a shot off.
    5. Can't shoot free throws
    6. Just allow the other team dictate both ends of the floor for 20 minutes.

Just take a pick. Same thing over and over again.
    This is the one consistent knock I have against Howland. We're in Year 6 of this thing and we still look like a Jr. High Girls team trying to break a zone press. Which is odd because our press, the few times we use it, is pretty elite. We consistently get TO's out of it. I just don't understand how you can press as well as we can, yet we have no idea how to break one year after year. And the really sad thing is that none of the presses we face are very good. It just makes me think that Howland never really taught how to break it and once we had Lamar he just relied on him to break everything, which he did more times than not.