Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arnett staying...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I winder if these schools are thinking they can get him to switch his defensive philosophy to fit more with what they like and know and he's saying no.

You don't get the interviews he's gotten and keep getting passed up unless there's some sticking point. I just wonder if they want him to move off the 3-3-5 and he's not willing to.
    While I agree- you have to give Cohen credit also for the buyout that is making it difficult for teams to poach him from us. I have to think that is some of it.

And yeah- we still may lose him but at least we made it very difficult for blue bloods to take him and basically eliminated lateral moves like South Carolina.

It would be really good if he left us and went straight to being a head coach for somebody.

vCash
    It is possible they view his scheme as high risk/high reward which is great if your team is trying to go 9 and 3....but if it costs you 1 or 2 games at LSU and a chance at a national title then they will want to run Arnett out of town. I am not saying this is the correct take but blue bloods tend to be more conservative because of their talent level.

vCash
    He is an up and coming coach getting a lot of attention but he has really only gone to one interview right? I agree with the others that said his style really should not be the blue bloods go to style of defense.

If you get the best talent, why would you run such a risky defense? I don't see them actually coming after him after just one year.

If he leaves, it will be our loss but every good program loses coaches. How many OC's and DC's has Saban been through? People love to hire someone that has been involved in the day to day operations of a good program.

That's the thing about Leach, I don't think he will have an issue getting a good DC to replace him even if he does. Mississippi State has proven that if you come here, you can do well as a DC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Doubt it..... Sark isn't retaining Ash so we'll see.
    Texas board member thinks Sarks waiting for the NFL to finish.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Texas board member thinks Sarks waiting for the NFL to finish.
    Thought he was getting Quinn but Dallas killed that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Bama wasnt running Golding's defense. Bama runs Saban's D. The DC gets his orders and makes calls based on film and tendencies- but Nick Saban still runs the Bama D.
    The DC still takes the heat and ire of the fans, as well as the ass chewing from Saban. Rumors have been out there that Saban wasn't happy with the defense. Been a lot of chatter. We shall see. Hard to complain when you're winning titles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Thought he was getting Quinn but Dallas killed that.
    Huge move by McCarthy

vCash
    To add to the rumor about Arnett and Lsu. My Lsu buddy says this so take it as another rumor true or not. First, AD didn't want to pay the buyut and another $2 million dollar contract. Second, O wants some coach on the Saints defense to be his DC and is waiting for the playoffs to finish. Third, O is under pressure to hire a minority to be DC. Fourth, Arnett's personality didn't come off as a "people person" (Ha like Pelino was). And 5th, Arnett's 3-3-5, wasn't willing to change, cough cough. So pick your rumor coming from a Lsu buddy. He was disappointed Arnett didn't get the job.

But something was said from either side that didn't go in the right direction. Glad he is still at StarkVegas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    To add to the rumor about Arnett and Lsu. My Lsu buddy says this so take it as another rumor true or not. First, AD didn't want to pay the buyut and another $2 million dollar contract. Second, O wants some coach on the Saints defense to be his DC and is waiting for the playoffs to finish. Third, O is under pressure to hire a minority to be DC. Fourth, Arnett's personality didn't come off as a "people person" (Ha like Pelino was). And 5th, Arnett's 3-3-5, wasn't willing to change, cough cough. So pick your rumor coming from a Lsu buddy. He was disappointed Arnett didn't get the job.

But something was said from either side that didn't go in the right direction. Glad he is still at StarkVegas.
    All of that sounds reasonable.

In the end, I believe it's just been unfortunate for us(or fortunate for some) that, of the 10 or so schools that Arnett WOULD leave for, approximately 40% of them have a vacancy at DC.

The South Carolina thing is still a head scratcher though. Maybe that was just a "get my name out there" thing being a young DC. And it just happened that the next possibilities were all places that he would have left for.

Either way, looks like we're going to weather this storm and keep a DC for year 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post

In the end, I believe it's just been unfortunate for us(or fortunate for some) that, of the 10 or so schools that Arnett WOULD leave for, approximately 40% of them have a vacancy at DC.

The South Carolina thing is still a head scratcher though. Maybe that was just a "get my name out there" thing being a young DC. And it just happened that the next possibilities were all places that he would have left for.

Either way, looks like we're going to weather this storm and keep a DC for year 2.
    I'm not buying Arnett is looking to leave, I think schools have reached out to him, the only "real" interview was yesterday at Red Stick. I see no problem with him going and looking around. You never know what someone will offer if you don't listen. Maybe he will go on another interview, to me it speaks well of him having schools interested. I do think he had an interest in Lsu, going and seeing and listening first hand made either Lsu or Arnett seeing the light.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm not buying Arnett is looking to leave, I think schools have reached out to him, the only "real" interview was yesterday at Red Stick. I see no problem with him going and looking around. You never know what someone will offer if you don't listen. Maybe he will go on another interview, to me it speaks well of him having schools interested. I do think he had an interest in Lsu, going and seeing and listening first hand made either Lsu or Arnett seeing the light.
    I agree. I don't think he was looking to leave at all. Just happened that, after SC, the schools who came calling were blue bloods.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post

Knowing that Beamer has family ties to MSU it does make some sense that he would reach out the way he did.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    Does anyone know what Arnette's new contract with us is worth? I couldn't remember if that was public or not.