Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jace Cristmann and James Jackson to the portal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Christman was 80% on FG’s for us at 32/40 for his career- literally our best in history. He was also 122/123 on XP’s. He was ****ed over. I did the math for you.
    I like Jace - but it was obvious that Ruiz was a weapon that Jace wasn't. In 3 seasons Jace rarely handled kickoffs because he didn't have the leg. And the handful of times he did, not a single touchback. That's why we Scott Goodman kickoff for 2 years - and he typically only got TB's 50% of the time. Ruiz got TB's on 37 of 43 KO's this season - completely eliminating the chance of a kick return this season.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Christman was 80% on FG?s for us at 32/40 for his career- literally our best in history. He was also 122/123 on XP?s. He was ****ed over. I did the math for you.
    I assume you're not teaching math, but in case you are, 10/12 = 83.3333% and 32/40= 80%. Christman is a really good kicker who got benched for a really good kicker who appears to be just slightly better.

Ruiz was also 81.8% in 2018, going 18-22 on field goals, including 4-5 from 40-49 although only 0-2 from 50. Ruiz was not very good in 2017. https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...1/brandon-ruiz ETA: looking more closely, it doesn't look like Ruiz was really bad in 2017 either. Like Jace, his mix of attempts was just very different. Went 5-10 from 40-49 and 2-5 from 50+. He was better from 40-49 in 2018 and 2020 (4-5 each year), so it wasn't all mix, but he did have a lot more attempts from 40+ and 50+ in 2017 than 2018 and 2020.

Jace was really good in 2017-2019. Percentage was 85.7 in '17 and only 75% in '18, but that was mainly due to a change in mix of distances. '17 had 2 more FG attempts inside of thirty and 4 less FG attempts from 30-49. https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ace-christmann

Really surprising that we were able to get Ruiz to transfer when Jace looked so good, although Ruiz was going to have an extra year of eligibility past Jace regardless.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 01-13-2021 at 09:05 AM.

vCash
    Ruiz > Cristmann
    We just better be 99.9% sure Ruiz is coming back....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I like Jace - but it was obvious that Ruiz was a weapon that Jace wasn't. In 3 seasons Jace rarely handled kickoffs because he didn't have the leg. And the handful of times he did, not a single touchback. That's why we Scott Goodman kickoff for 2 years - and he typically only got TB's 50% of the time. Ruiz got TB's on 37 of 43 KO's this season - completely eliminating the chance of a kick return this season.
    We Need touchbacks even more than the 37 Of 43 Ruiz had.
    We don’t need starting CBs and Safety’s having to make plays and getting banged up on KOC...
    agree 100% Ruiz is a weapon.

vCash
    You'd think if the gap between Christmann and Ruiz was truly so narrow, that the former's name would come up on the topic of future NFL kickers about as much as the latter's does. Much less ever, at all.

No disrespect to Jace intended, he scored a lot of points for us and I wish him the best.

vCash
    Christman was 80% on FG?s for us at 32/40 for his career- literally our best in history. He was also 122/123 on XP?s. He was ****ed over. I did the math for you.

They let Christman Kick off one time in 2020. It was returned to the 39 .. good for 16 yards. In his career at MSU, he kicked off 7 total times (in 3 years), and NEVER had a touchback.

Ruiz had 43 KOs, with 37 TBs.

Oh, you ONLY included Christman's 2019 FG stats. Add 2017 & 2018 and see what you get.

Your math sux!
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    You'd think if the gap between Christmann and Ruiz was truly so narrow, that the former's name would come up on the topic of future NFL kickers about as much as the latter's does. Much less ever, at all.

No disrespect to Jace intended, he scored a lot of points for us and I wish him the best.
    I think it is pretty narrow gap for just field goals. It's just when you can't kickoff, you have to be that much better at field goals to be desired. Ruiz can kick off and apparently has more range on field goals although the stats don't show it, and I think that's enough to get Ruiz NFL interest while Jace is not on their radar, even though Ruiz is only slightly better on field goals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think it is pretty narrow gap for just field goals. It's just when you can't kickoff, you have to be that much better at field goals to be desired. Ruiz can kick off and apparently has more range on field goals although the stats don't show it, and I think that's enough to get Ruiz NFL interest while Jace is not on their radar, even though Ruiz is only slightly better on field goals.
    The range factor is pretty important though. If you've got one guy you feel just as good about accuracy-wise from 10 yards further out than the other, that can change your entire offensive approach in a variety of situations, both play-by-play and on the drive as a whole. The fact that Ruiz has 28 career attempts from 40+ to Christmann's 17 in the same number of seasons as the primary field goal kicker is a rough indication that Ruiz gives an offense more versatility.

That said, I know that number isn't exactly an airtight comparison, and there may not be one. But if we agree that Ruiz has generally more range and what data we have shows they're pretty similar accuracy-wise, then at minimum it's obvious that Christmann didn't get snubbed by our staff for non-performance related reasons as someone earlier insinuated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Ruiz was 4/5 from 40-49 yards
    Christman was 7/11 from 40-49 yards
    You're arguing with a wall. Leach had no agenda and evaluated both of them in practice. Ruiz won because he had the stronger leg and was more consistent further out. Sucks for Jace.

vCash
    Kick offs are in the endzone now so that's one thing that we have been lacking. They are both accurate kickers, but Ruiz can hit from further. It's a no brainer to play him. That's an easy call.

You are a coach, do you bench your best players simply because they are the new guy?

The best players should be on the field and the players understand that this ain't peewee football, they are there to win at this level. The best are the ones that get to play.

It's clear you cannot be objective when it comes to any decision Leach makes if you don't like this one.

vCash
    I don't like losing Jace, to be honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Oh, you ONLY included Christman's 2019 FG stats. Add 2017 & 2018 and see what you get.

Your math sux!
    No- my math is perfect. Christmann is 32/40 for his career on FG's- 80%. 122/123 on XP's. Ruiz certainly has the stronger leg. Just think ****ing over a 3 year starter sux. We could have let Ruiz KO and handle long FG's. Easy solution there. Both were on the team anyway- so why not?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    No- my math is perfect. Christmann is 32/40 for his career on FG's- 80%. 122/123 on XP's. Ruiz certainly has the stronger leg. Just think ****ing over a 3 year starter sux. We could have let Ruiz KO and handle long FG's. Easy solution there. Both were on the team anyway- so why not?
    Christmann was a very solid kicker. Ruiz is better.

vCash
    Ruiz is better. A good bit better actually. C34 is wrong. He?s not the smartest guy in the room. Hate to break it to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    Ruiz is better. A good bit better actually. C34 is wrong. He?s not the smartest guy in the room. Hate to break it to him.
    He had a good year. We'll see if he matches his good 2020 season next year. Christmann kicked in the bowl game and we didnt miss a beat
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We could have, and he probably would have been just as good as Ruiz from inside of 40, but why bring Ruiz in cold for long field goals when he is just as good at other ranges? I sucks for Christmann that he was overtaken his senior year, but it happens. Any other position except for possibly QB, you try to figure out to get a long term starter snaps his senior year, but he's at one of a few positions in football where being slightly less good means you get basically zero snaps unless there is an injury or blowout.

vCash
    Another transfer Pruitt. We're going to field an NFL roster of 54 players. Man

vCash
    Christman was 80% on FG’s for us at 32/40 for his career- literally our best in history. He was also 122/123 on XP’s. He was ****ed over. I did the math for you.
    Ruiz has a NFL leg, Christman doesn't. Sucks but we are improved with Ruiz.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    What the hell? Ruiz was better. How can you not do %? 83 is higher than 80. The previous best kicker in school history got passed up by someone who had even better stats this season than Christman’s career stats. Tough shit. This is the sec, not Dixie Youth.
    Last edited by Jarius; 01-14-2021 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Another transfer Pruitt. We're going to field an NFL roster of 54 players. Man
    Addition by subtraction
    Get rid of these guys that will NEVER contribute..
    and get more guys in here that might ..
    By the end of the summer and before fall practice I bet we have at least 80 -83 scholarship players ..