Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howland and the Dawgs

vCash

Howland and the Dawgs

A BIG 5 game stretch coming up for us. We need to sweep the 3 home games and then figure out a way to split the 2 road games. @UT and @Bama will be tough but those are the games you have to win to be a tournament team. Going 4-1 through this stretch would give us a lot of momentum going down the home stretch and we'd also be sitting at 12-5 and 7-2 in the conference. We probably need 12-13 conference wins to feel good about our tourney chances. That would also get us the all important double bye in the SEC tournament.

vCash
    At tenn and Bama will be really tough tests. That's the best 2 teams in sec. Bama does depend on the 3 a lot, so hopefully they're off

vCash
    A&M tonight is a must-win game. You can't lose home games to teams with NET rankings in the 100s. Then you have two opportunities for decent wins against Florida and Ole Miss, both teams I think we are better than. We'll worry about Bama and Tennessee when we get there, the first task is taking care of business at home.

I would also like to point out how strange our conference schedule is this year. We are currently in the middle of a stretch where we play 5 of 6 games at home, then immediately after that we have four straight conference road games (Iowa State game at home in the middle of that, but still). Never seen us have home and away splits that are so unbalanced in terms of timing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    A&M tonight is a must-win game. You can't lose home games to teams with NET rankings in the 100s. Then you have two opportunities for decent wins against Florida and Ole Miss, both teams I think we are better than. We'll worry about Bama and Tennessee when we get there, the first task is taking care of business at home.

I would also like to point out how strange our conference schedule is this year. We are currently in the middle of a stretch where we play 5 of 6 games at home, then immediately after that we have four straight conference road games (Iowa State game at home in the middle of that, but still). Never seen us have home and away splits that are so unbalanced in terms of timing.
    Only team in the SEC this year to have 4 straight away games. Thankfully we have the Iowa State game at home

vCash
    I think we match up well with Florida and A&M.

I think at Bama is winnable, just have to run them off the 3pt line. Hopefully we don't sag the middle and utilize Ado in the paint for defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I think we match up well with Florida and A&M.

I think at Bama is winnable, just have to run them off the 3pt line. Hopefully we don't sag the middle and utilize Ado in the paint for defense.
    We just never play well in Coleman Coliseum. I think we've only won there like 3 times this century and one of those times took possibly the greatest comeback in Mississippi State history to pull it off.

vCash
    We absolutely need to win these next 3 home games. Dropping 1 or more would be detrimental. After this stretch, I only see us being favored in 3 more conference games. Realistically, if we do win these next 3 I think we have a good shot at 11-7 maybe 12-6, but the back half of the schedule is a lot more difficult

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We just never play well in Coleman Coliseum. I think we've only won there like 3 times this century and one of those times took possibly the greatest comeback in Mississippi State history to pull it off.
    They had 2 starters injured vs Kentucky and they will probably still beat us at CC.
    No Signature

vCash
    Wait wait wait, we're talking about the possibility of this team making the postseason, for what would have been the fourth consecutive year? Can't be, we were told in November that we suck worse than ever and Howland needs to be fired.

vCash
    3-2 will be really good over the next 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Wait wait wait, we're talking about the possibility of this team making the postseason, for what would have been the fourth consecutive year? Can't be, we were told in November that we suck worse than ever and Howland needs to be fired.
    I don't think most could've predicted the jump that Iverson has made. We're at worse 9-3 if he plays the first 2 games and I think we're probably 10-2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    3-2 will be really good over the next 5
    3-2 is good. But 4-1 is needed for the tournament. Either UT or Bama would be a great Q1 win.

vCash
    "making the post season for a 4th consecutive year" is nothing to hang your hat on, when you get there and fall flat on your face. Howland is still a bad coach and will continue to fail to put forth a consistent team. I am tired of these "Wonder what team will show up tonight" games.
    No Signature

vCash
    No one knows what the post season will look like, they will give all the blue bloods the benefit of the doubt with records, covid issues , ect....
    The best chance we will have to make tourney IMO will be a run in the sec tourney , may not have to win it but making the finals may have to be done..

The SEC is as strong in hoops top to bottom this year than any I can remember .. Texas AM is game we have to win for sure but they aren’t a bad team.. will be one of the best coached teams In the league

But this also one of the grittiest teams That CBH has had here..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    3-2 is good. But 4-1 is needed for the tournament. Either UT or Bama would be a great Q1 win.

Need 10 SEC wins .. and no bad losses.. that prob won’t get us in but it will put us In the conversation..
    the worse loss we could have is Liberty , who will prob win their conference and we didn’t have Iverson...
    Clemson is a tourney team , Dayton will prob win their conference as well
    The UK loss won’t hurt because it’s UK

We already have 2 road wins
    Handle our business at home . Pick up 2 more road wins somewhere and sweep home games that gets us to 12 ..
    12-6 in this league this year should be a no brainer.. but for some reason words Miss State doesn’t sound good to that selection committee .. never really has..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    "making the post season for a 4th consecutive year" is nothing to hang your hat on, when you get there and fall flat on your face. Howland is still a bad coach and will continue to fail to put forth a consistent team. I am tired of these "Wonder what team will show up tonight" games.

The ignorance of basketball shows up again...

vCash
    I disagree. I think we make the ncaa if we finish top 6 in the SEC. SEC is more than likely a 7 bid league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The ignorance of basketball shows up again...
    Yes! That is exactly what I was thinking!! Glad you see it too. Hanging your hat on postseason "appearances" is ridiculous especially if that postseason includes the NIT.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Yes! That is exactly what I was thinking!! Glad you see it too. Hanging your hat on postseason "appearances" is ridiculous especially if that postseason includes the NIT.
    What's acceptable standards here?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's acceptable standards here?
    So...each year a coach at Mississippi State should tell his team. "Guys we got to work hard to make that appearance in the postseason!! We got to work to make that NIT!!! Should that be the expectations for MSU fans? We are just Mississippi State and this is all we can achieve? Howland has had his chance. He is washed up and it is time to retire.
    No Signature