Thread: CFB monopoly

vCash

CFB monopoly

USA TODAY: How to break up Nick Saban's monopoly at Alabama to improve college football.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ip/6630094002/

Good read

vCash
    I just think kids not in 11th or 12th grade should not be contacted and for the love of god don't offer 8th graders scholarships.

vCash
    Decreasing the scholarship limit is definitely the first place to start. I'd go a step further though and go from 85 to 70. There has to be parity and when you let Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA hoard all the talent then you'll never get any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Decreasing the scholarship limit is definitely the first place to start. I'd go a step further though and go from 85 to 70. There has to be parity and when you let Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA hoard all the talent then you'll never get any.
    Alabama has way too many 5 stars riding the pine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I just think kids not in 11th or 12th grade should not be contacted and for the love of god don't offer 8th graders scholarships.
    I can tell you right now from going through it in other sports, it?s a nightmare not being able to talk to coaches.

vCash
    Why is everyone so hung up on lowering the scholly numbers? I tend to like to idea of putting a cap on the rating of the athlete. Ex. each team is limited to 3x5 stars, 10x4 stars, and 3,2,1 stars at will. it will force teams to evaluate better and the top teams cannot just hoard the talent. If we just lower the amount of schollys then bama is still going to get their 7 five stars and 15 four stars, it wouldn't effect them at all. It doesn't force the talent to look at other schools. Also, the value of the lower rated players would come into play greatly because a lot more of them are going to be needed to fill roster spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Why is everyone so hung up on lowering the scholly numbers? I tend to like to idea of putting a cap on the rating of the athlete. Ex. each team is limited to 3x5 stars, 10x4 stars, and 3,2,1 stars at will. it will force teams to evaluate better and the top teams cannot just hoard the talent. If we just lower the amount of schollys then bama is still going to get their 7 five stars and 15 four stars, it wouldn't effect them at all. It doesn't force the talent to look at other schools. Also, the value of the lower rated players would come into play greatly because a lot more of them are going to be needed to fill roster spots.
    Ratings are completely subjective and each company rates different. I mean who would be standard? Would it be ESPN? Rivals? 247? Lowering scholarships is a better idea because even though Bama might still get their top end players, it's the low end 5 to the mid 4 stars talents that they have to make decisions on. They can't offer a scholarship to a guy like Byron Young just so we can't have him or a guy like Brandon Turnage. Bama is always going to get the Najee Harris, Devonta Smith, and Jaylen Waddle's of the world. Nothing is going to stop that. Because in your system if Bama has a 5 star they like they can just go to the recruiting service and get the guy dropped down to a 4 star and problem solved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I think there's a few problems with that. First, we'd need a governing body giving out stars. Do we really want the NCAA in charge of ranking a kid a 5 star? Won't be long before boosters are paying people to rank a kid a 3 star vs 4 star so they can take him. Then what happens if a kid blows up his senior year. Do you have to drop him if he's bumped up to a 5 star and you're already full?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Ratings are completely subjective and each company rates different. I mean who would be standard? Would it be ESPN? Rivals? 247? Lowering scholarships is a better idea because even though Bama might still get their top end players, it's the low end 5 to the mid 4 stars talents that they have to make decisions on. They can't offer a scholarship to a guy like Byron Young just so we can't have him or a guy like Brandon Turnage. Bama is always going to get the Najee Harris, Devonta Smith, and Jaylen Waddle's of the world. Nothing is going to stop that. Because in your system if Bama has a 5 star they like they can just go to the recruiting service and get the guy dropped down to a 4 star and problem solved.
    Completely agree that is is subjective there would have to be a standard that would have to be meet, how that is come up with, don't ask me. But, that is why they have a cap on the amount of 4 stars they could get. eventually the top level talent or what is considered top level has to be divided up amongst the teams. Again if all they had was 70 schollys they would just not sign the two to three 3 stars that they sign every year. They would still be able to hoard everything that they already hoard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    I think there's a few problems with that. First, we'd need a governing body giving out stars. Do we really want the NCAA in charge of ranking a kid a 5 star? Won't be long before boosters are paying people to rank a kid a 3 star vs 4 star so they can take him. Then what happens if a kid blows up his senior year. Do you have to drop him if he's bumped up to a 5 star and you're already full?
    Bama would just have guys rated a 3 star if they needed to. It isn't like they don't cheat already. The only way to make it more fair is to lower scholly numbers.

vCash
    Alabama isn't really a college program these days. It's something different.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Alabama isn't really a college program these days. It's something different.
    It's probably that "NFL style" S&C program.

vCash
    Nice to see someone from a national publication finally willing to at least broach the topic of scholarship reductions. Its seemingly the taboo subject but the only real meaningful way to make football more competitive from top to bottom.

vCash
    I'd drop the limit to 65, maybe even 60. If the NFL can make it with a 54 man roster, I don't know why colleges couldn't make it with 65. You're realistically only playing about 30-35 players regularly on a weekly basis, barring injury. But I think we can all agree that the current 85 scholarship rule is absurd and way too many.

Side note: How ironic would it be that the dominance of Bama (and to a lesser degree Northern Miss in the 50s) that led to the original imposition of the current scholarships limit could result in the limit being lowered again?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'd drop the limit to 65, maybe even 60. If the NFL can make it with a 54 man roster, I don't know why colleges couldn't make it with 65. You're realistically only playing about 30-35 players regularly on a weekly basis, barring injury. But I think we can all agree that the current 85 scholarship rule is absurd and way too many.

Side note: How ironic would it be that the dominance of Bama (and to a lesser degree Northern Miss in the 50s) that led to the original imposition of the current scholarships limit could result in the limit being lowered again?
    Not sure it would be practical to go much below 70. NFL may have a 54 man roster but they can sign free agents or call up players from their practice squad if a player is lost due to injury during the season. Colleges only have the players they have when they start the season. Plus nobody in the NFL on a roster is 'redshirting' and everyone is expected to contribute in some way which a lot of guys straight out of HS on a college roster are not. But there is no argument to be had that 85 is way too many and constitutes a glut that allows a program like Alabama to oversign and then process out players that don't measure up to Saban's standard.

vCash
    Alabama smoked Kentucky in Rupp last night.

Time to lower basketball scholarships.** Hahahaha.