Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it with MSU folks ...

vCash

What is it with MSU folks ...

and MSU ex-coaches? They are gone. Let them go. As for the ones that left on their own, I hope they do well. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having coaches that got hired away from here doing well. It actually helps us in the long run. Y'all are whining about the wrong ones. The ones we DON'T want to do well are the ones we ran off. That is speaking from an absolute MSU perspective.

vCash
    MSU fans have loooooooong memories and love to be miserable in general.

What other fan base in the SEC would remember "Tech and 10" over 30 years later?

Personally I don't really care about Dan Mullen as far as what happens. He has basically proven to be who I thought he was as a head coach and I've been saying for years that he was ultimately going to go to the NFL which may be a good fit for him since he won't have to recruit.

vCash
    Every fan base is like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    and MSU ex-coaches? They are gone. Let them go. As for the ones that left on their own, I hope they do well. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having coaches that got hired away from here doing well. It actually helps us in the long run. Y'all are whining about the wrong ones. The ones we DON'T want to do well are the ones we ran off. That is speaking from an absolute MSU perspective.
    Mullen can go suck tomato paste out of a hobo's crusty ass for all I care. 17 that guy

vCash
    Inferiority complex

vCash
    Yea, because LSU cheers for Saban, Vandy cheers for Franklin and Cincinnati cheers for Brian Kelly.

Pettiness is part of the college game.

vCash
    How about let's fix the much more serious problem of MSU fans that continually poor mouth MSU before we worry about MSU fans that poor mouth former MSU coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Yea, because LSU cheers for Saban, Vandy cheers for Franklin and Cincinnati cheers for Brian Kelly.

Pettiness is part of the college game.
    This. It's much more fun to be petty about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Every fan base is like that.
    Yep, it’s true.

Clemson people remember and fear everybody pre-Dabo

Oklahoma people consider everything between Switzer and Stoops as the Dark Ages and remember the name “Blake”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Mullen can go suck tomato paste out of a hobo's crusty ass for all I care. 17 that guy
    I have to admit I just about sprayed mimosa all over the bar on that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    How about let's fix the much more serious problem of MSU fans that continually poor mouth MSU before we worry about MSU fans that poor mouth former MSU coaches.
    I enjoy lambasting our own coaches, but it is just as fun to comment negatively about our former ?grass is always greener? coaches. Both of those coaches did not get more to go to their new gigs than Cohen offered them to stay, so their egos drive them to the bigger yet harder jobs! I always find it odd that someone thinks they are God?s gift to their chosen sports profession, that they would move laterally financially speaking to take a higher pressure job. Mullen could have gone 8-4 and stayed at State for life. Vic had created a monster and was going to be expected to win a NC at some point, but apparently we would need Paul Harvey to give us ?the rest of the story? as to why Vic bailed so quickly and it ain?t about being close to dead and buried relatives. I don?t think it was about going home. We may need a 20/20 or 48 hours investigation to get that answer.

But I sure did like both of those guys as State coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    This...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Inferiority complex
    This, plus our folks (that are on MBs and social media) seem to like to wallow in misery, rather than focus on positivity. Little brother syndrome?

They way our folks go after our own current and former players (and recruits that signed else where) is nonsensical. Some will argue it doesn't get back to the player, but I think it does. The player may not read it, but you can beat friends, family members or fans of rival schools read it and makes sure it gets back.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 01-10-2021 at 03:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It really doesn't help us in the long run for head coaches to leave here and be successful. There is a silver lining to coaches getting hired at big time programs from here because it makes the job more attractive to coaches that wouldn't view MSU as a destination job, but once they leave, to the extent it matters, it's better for us that they crash and burn so people see that it's not as hard to win here as it looks.

vCash
    State fans got nothing on some Arkansas fans.

Some of them hate Houston Nutt with a white fire passion. I've never understood it.

vCash
    I don’t know about the rest of this bunch but I’m an opinionated asshole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    State fans got nothing on some Arkansas fans.

Some of them hate Houston Nutt with a white fire passion. I've never understood it.
    I always thought Nutt was a good coach and wasn't happy that he ended up at Ole Miss. He was basically a less consistent Dan Mullen. Had Arkansas above where they probably "belonged" on average, averaging 3rd in the west over his tenure (when I'd say back then they probably "belonged" at fourth behind Bama/LSU and Auburn).

But he did flame out pretty quickly at Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I always thought Nutt was a good coach and wasn't happy that he ended up at Ole Miss. He was basically a less consistent Dan Mullen. Had Arkansas above where they probably "belonged" on average, averaging 3rd in the west over his tenure (when I'd say back then they probably "belonged" at fourth behind Bama/LSU and Auburn).

But he did flame out pretty quickly at Ole Miss.
    He was definitely better than Arkansas fans let on at the time, but spending 10 years anywhere these days eventually wears thin. He rode the coattails of a generational talent in Matt Jones at QB then underachieved with the best backfield in college football when he had McFadden/Jones/Hillis/etc.

He did some good things but a lot of national media chastised Arkansas for firing him saying that the Hogs couldn't do better so it was pretty sweet when Petrino went 10-3 and 11-2 in back to back years a few seasons later, sort of vindicated the decision a bit. Not much to cheer about since then though lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Yep, it?s true.

Clemson people remember and fear everybody pre-Dabo

Oklahoma people consider everything between Switzer and Stoops as the Dark Ages and remember the name ?Blake?
    You can rest assured if Dabo left they would hate him for life. Same with Stoops. This would be especially true if they left and were successful and their schools were not. 17 Dan Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    He was definitely better than Arkansas fans let on at the time, but spending 10 years anywhere these days eventually wears thin. He rode the coattails of a generational talent in Matt Jones at QB then underachieved with the best backfield in college football when he had McFadden/Jones/Hillis/etc.

He did some good things but a lot of national media chastised Arkansas for firing him saying that the Hogs couldn't do better so it was pretty sweet when Petrino went 10-3 and 11-2 in back to back years a few seasons later, sort of vindicated the decision a bit. Not much to cheer about since then though lol.
    Do arkansas fans still hate whatever the girls name on the motorcycle? I can't imagine what kind of hatred there would be if somebody derailed our football program when it was rolling like that. Granted it was ultimately Petrino's fault, but still. How hard would it be to be in your twenties and say no to Bobby 17ing petrino. And that girl's poor fiance. One of the most brutal ways to be emasculated ever.

ETA: And do arkansas fans bitch about him being fired in hindsight? Granted what he did was a fireable offense, but the fallout from keeping him on couldn't have been worse than the money they've lost since he left. Even if he ultimately flamed out the same way he did at Louisville, another 4 or 5 years of steady success would have done a ton for Arkansas both financially and as far as maintaining its recruiting while having to compete with A&M for texas recruits.