Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shane Beamer

vCash
    I'd much rather live near the beach as opposed to the woods of the black prairie. I know most wives with kids would.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'd much rather live near the beach as opposed to the woods of the black prairie. I know most wives with kids would.
    I hear you on that but the Gulf isn't much further than east coast (time wise probably about the same) and the Gulf Beach is nicer. Columbia would give the family more shopping so there is that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I hear you on that but the Gulf isn't much further than east coast (time wise probably about the same) and the Gulf Beach is nicer. Columbia would give the family more shopping so there is that.
    good points and agree on Columbia. When these guys have 7 figures in their pockets, I would assume lifestyle views overall change as well. Despite the fact we could bump his salary to cover Netjets and they fly anywhere they want. The day to day living with that money might change views on towns. Just talking out loud on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Columbia to Charleston is under 2 hours and Columbia to Myrtle Beach is 2.5 hours driving.

Starkville to Orange Beach (nobody wants to go stay on the Miss Coast for a beach trip) is around 6 hours. Big difference

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Columbia to Charleston is under 2 hours and Columbia to Myrtle Beach is 2.5 hours driving.

Starkville to Orange Beach (nobody wants to go stay on the Miss Coast for a beach trip) is around 6 hours. Big difference
    People that make as much as Arnett is now Making don’t have to drive to destin or orange beach from Starkville.

vCash
    Now let me say- SC would likely have to throw some money at him- but never downplay where someone lives in saying "lateral move". Fla Atlantic and Tulsa are supposedly "lateral moves". No they arent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    People that make as much as Arnett is now Making don’t have to drive to destin or orange beach from Starkville.
    It's a pain in the ass to set up a flight from the GTR to the Mobile or Pensacola using someone's plane as compared to driving 90 minutes. The wife and kids could go on their own constantly while you are busy working camps and such- with you driving over after camp is over. 90 minutes vs 6 hours is a huge difference

vCash
    Now let me say- SC would likely have to throw some money at him- but never downplay where someone lives in saying "lateral move". Fla Atlantic and Tulsa are supposedly "lateral moves". No they arent
    Thank you for reminding everyone that coaches are people too. All we see is their job, but to the coach, it's a balancing act between their job, hobbies, and family. Just like the rest of us. It's just to get to be a SEC coach you typically have to place job higher than the rest of us, so we assume that's all they care about.

MS is a poorer than SC, with no beach, no waterfalls (SC-UGA border is unbelievably beautiful), and he's been there before and maybe he just loves the place. Leach stays in Key West for crying out loud

Coaches are people. I live in SE TN and while I LOVE the people of MS, I could never go back just because of the lack of mountains, clear running streams, views, and more moderate summers. MS just isn't it for me. Football isn't the only thing in Arnett's life, and he'd be a fool to only take the status of a job into considertion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Didn't Ellis Johnson do the same thing back in the day?
    Ellis Johnson was working under the Slytanic with one of the perennial worst offenses in college football. Wouldn't you be looking for other employment?

vCash
    Grenada Lake has a beach.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    In addition to this, some folks forget we took Arnett from Syracuse after less than 2 weeks there. So if, and it's still a big if, he would have gone from SDSU to Syracuse to MSU to Texas in one year. That's one hell of a rise of it happens.

Still hoping it doesn't. People think Texas is a big job. It's not anymore. It's second tier at best and if you look at recruiting this year, there's a hell of a lot to be concerned about. Texas has 1 commit from a Top 35 state of Texas player. That's as many as we have. 32 of those 35 have already signed. So it's not like they are going to make a massive splash there. Texas is a rebuild with pressure to win the way boosters want you to. That's not for everyone.
    You can try to convince yourself it isn't a big job. It is. Especially someone who isn't from near here. Nationally, it's still a huge job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Thank you for reminding everyone that coaches are people too. All we see is their job, but to the coach, it's a balancing act between their job, hobbies, and family. Just like the rest of us. It's just to get to be a SEC coach you typically have to place job higher than the rest of us, so we assume that's all they care about.

MS is a poorer than SC, with no beach, no waterfalls (SC-UGA border is unbelievably beautiful), and he's been there before and maybe he just loves the place. Leach stays in Key West for crying out loud

Coaches are people. I live in SE TN and while I LOVE the people of MS, I could never go back just because of the lack of mountains, clear running streams, views, and more moderate summers. MS just isn't it for me. Football isn't the only thing in Arnett's life, and he'd be a fool to only take the status of a job into considertion
    You guys can come up with so of the most entertaining reasons a coach should leave us when we know one of our coaches is being talked to even when its to a mediocre program like SC. So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. But now, less than a year later, he needs to go to SC to be DC for a rookie HC to have better access to beaches? You all are creative, I'll give you that.

vCash
    I?ve been told Arnett is actually interested in the South Carolina job but not the Texas job.
    He wouldn't be listening if he had zero interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

Agree, and hello from the same area
    Last edited by Santiago; 01-06-2021 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Dual purpose trip for Beamer. I used to be neighbors with his in-laws. He's here visiting them, and figured why not see if he can catch a fish. Arnett isn't expected to accept the job. Can't blame Shane for trying
    So he brought the Athletic Department plane for a family visit? Hmm. That's unethical. Perhaps he just threw in the interview as an excuse to make the trip on the university dime. If that's the case, that's unethical too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. .
    Who really wants to live in a high tax state like NY to coach at Syracuse that will forever be an also-ran? SC has been to the SEC championship game in the last 10 years. To act like leaving us for SC would be dumb is well- dumb. I've lived in Mississippi for 39 of my 51 years and I would shag ass to SC immediately. And I love Mississippi

I'll take on the East with a beach close by vs living in the woods facing Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn anytime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    You guys can come up with so of the most entertaining reasons a coach should leave us when we know one of our coaches is being talked to even when its to a mediocre program like SC. So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. But now, less than a year later, he needs to go to SC to be DC for a rookie HC to have better access to beaches? You all are creative, I'll give you that.
    Who said Syracuse is a place he wanted to live? Maybe he hates cold winters.

Look, he took a massive jump from SDSU to Syracuse. He immediately got another shot to take a big jump and came here. SC isn't a big jump as a job, but the location maybe to him.

Again, it's a balance of job, family, and hobbies. If his family likes the beach and the job is the same, why not go to SC? All of his moves so far make perfect sense from a career standpoint, all C34 is saying is that a move to SC makes sense IF he values the beach life. He never claimed to know that, it's just a theory as to why SC could be a better job to Arnett.

For the record, I highly doubt he leaves us for SC. I'm just agreeing with C34 that there are reasons beyond football for a coach to take a different job. YOu gotta admit, Starkville ain't exactly surrounded by holiday destinations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    In addition to this, some folks forget we took Arnett from Syracuse after less than 2 weeks there. So if, and it's still a big if, he would have gone from SDSU to Syracuse to MSU to Texas in one year. That's one hell of a rise of it happens.

Still hoping it doesn't. People think Texas is a big job. It's not anymore. It's second tier at best and if you look at recruiting this year, there's a hell of a lot to be concerned about. Texas has 1 commit from a Top 35 state of Texas player. That's as many as we have. 32 of those 35 have already signed. So it's not like they are going to make a massive splash there. Texas is a rebuild with pressure to win the way boosters want you to. That's not for everyone.
    Syracuse to MSU is definitely a step up (although, unless I'm mistaken, they had a NC sometime back in the '70s). And Texas more than doubled Manny's salary to entice him to their school (but it didn't work out too well), so that's definitely a step up.

The thing about Texas is they always seem to have high expectations and the rank to go along with it, but they never come through. Kinda like Notre Dame in that respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    If Arnett goes to Texas or Notre Dame I can accept that and understand. Moving to USC makes no sense and seems strange unless he is from there or has a family tie. That would be weird to join a head coach with no head coaching experience as opposed to someone with 15+ years
    Arnett is from Albuquerque, according to Wikipedia.

vCash
    How much are we paying Arnett?