Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shane Beamer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    You can try to convince yourself it isn't a big job. It is. Especially someone who isn't from near here. Nationally, it's still a huge job.
    Oh it's definitely a big job. But I would say a decade ago it was a Top 5 job. Today I think it's debatable that it's a Top 10 job. I would take Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame over Texas. After that you're in a battle with LSU, USC, Texas A&M, and Oregon to round out the Top 10.

Texas has lost some of its luster because it's boosters meddle too much and it's just not a consistent upper echelon winner anymore. Go check recruiting in the state of Texas and you'll see what kids think of them right now. Perception after what they did to Herman hasn't helped them either.

Is it a step up from us? Yes. But the last decade has not been kind to them and the legacy that was UT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Columbia to Charleston is under 2 hours and Columbia to Myrtle Beach is 2.5 hours driving.

Starkville to Orange Beach (nobody wants to go stay on the Miss Coast for a beach trip) is around 6 hours. Big difference
    It's a pain in the ass to set up a flight from the GTR to the Mobile or Pensacola using someone's plane as compared to driving 90 minutes. The wife and kids could go on their own constantly while you are busy working camps and such- with you driving over after camp is over. 90 minutes vs 6 hours is a huge difference
    Great point! Substitute Hilton Head for Myrtle Beach though... Ain't no one w/ kids making what he's making choosing to go to Myrtle over Hilton...

Also, you forget how close it is to Charlotte and the NC Mountains...

I will add Columbia is the "armpit of SC" though. I believe Lou Holtz put it best: "The only difference between Columbia and Hell in summer is a screen door"

vCash
    Who really wants to live in a high tax state like NY to coach at Syracuse that will forever be an also-ran? SC has been to the SEC championship game in the last 10 years. To act like leaving us for SC would be dumb is well- dumb. I've lived in Mississippi for 39 of my 51 years and I would shag ass to SC immediately. And I love Mississippi

I'll take on the East with a beach close by vs living in the woods facing Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn anytime
    Well yea, if he was being interviewed by Steve Spurrier back in the day leaving would make a lot more sense. And sorry, didn't realize SC was such a nirvana place to be. Heck, I'm not saying that there aren't some attractive things about SC but I doubt many of them apply to living in the capital city of Columbia but whatever. My point is WHOEVER is interviewing one of our coaches from whereever, we always have our fans listing all the reasons he should get out of Starkville while he has the chance. We do more to promote the other school than the other schools' fans do. From a football standpoint there is no real reason to leave MSU for SC. Heck, for all the pain in the ass OM is, SC has to deal with Clemson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Syracuse to MSU is definitely a step up
    Not if you are in need of a shopping mall.***

vCash
    I heard the street signs are blue in Columbia rather than green and with the family history of a certain eye disease Zach?s family has, blue is easier for him to read. He?s gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I hear you on that but the Gulf isn't much further than east coast (time wise probably about the same) and the Gulf Beach is nicer. Columbia would give the family more shopping so there is that.
    Columbia is a Sh__ Hole .... Most people that know it won't want to live there
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Who really wants to live in a high tax state like NY to coach at Syracuse that will forever be an also-ran? SC has been to the SEC championship game in the last 10 years. To act like leaving us for SC would be dumb is well- dumb. I've lived in Mississippi for 39 of my 51 years and I would shag ass to SC immediately. And I love Mississippi

I'll take on the East with a beach close by vs living in the woods facing Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn anytime
    it's quite obvious that you have never spent time in Columbia ... Now someone making what Arnett would be making can find some buffer but he still has to go into town just to reach the university ... Columbia is horrible
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Columbia is a Sh__ Hole .... Most people that know it won't want to live there
    I agree with you. I have been there many times myself!

vCash
    Having lived in Mississippi, California, Florida, and Arizona....I can tell you people in general have a lot of wanderlust. No matter where I have lived, it seems the locals always project they would be happier in another place. Californians love to talk about Hawaii, but people in Hawaii love to talk about Fiji and people in Fiji love to talk about New Zealand. People in South Beach love to talk about the Caribbean. Austin is the new hot place but I know a family moving out of there because they can't take the traffic any more. Everyone sees the flaws in their current situation which is why I decided to retire in one the most inexpensive places (Mississippi) and use the money I save to travel like crazy.
    Last edited by CovertDawg; 01-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.

vCash
    Getting back on topic a bit here, I wonder just how many of our coaches Beamer was here to interview. There's reports that USCe is losing both their O Line coach and OC to Auburn.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    How much are we paying Arnett?
    His new contract is 7 figures.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    It's a pain in the ass to set up a flight from the GTR to the Mobile or Pensacola using someone's plane as compared to driving 90 minutes. The wife and kids could go on their own constantly while you are busy working camps and such- with you driving over after camp is over. 90 minutes vs 6 hours is a huge difference
    It took me about 45 seconds to find a flight from Starkville, MS directly to Destin, Fl. It’s a 45 minute flight. People that make 7 figures a year can go anywhere they want at any time with no hassle at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    It took me about 45 seconds to find a flight from Starkville, MS directly to Destin, Fl. It’s a 45 minute flight. People that make 7 figures a year can go anywhere they want at any time with no hassle at all.
    He can probably take the university plane if he wanted to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    Having lived in Mississippi, California, Florida, and Arizona....I can tell you people in general have a lot of wanderlust. No matter where I have lived, it seems the locals always project they would be happier in another place. Californians love to talk about Hawaii, but people in Hawaii love to talk about Fiji and people in Fiji love to talk about New Zealand. People in South Beach love to talk about the Caribbean. Austin is the new hot place but I know a family moving out of there because they can't take the traffic any more. Everyone sees the flaws in their current situation which is why I decided to retire in one the most inexpensive places (Mississippi) and use the money I save to travel like crazy.
    Me and my bud, like Key West!*#%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Some people dont like flying- especially on smaller planes. Especially people with young children. Then we are talking coolers and other things people bring to the beach- especially when you have young children- that are easier packed in a vehicle than in a plane
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    As someone who flies commercially for a living, your statement about packing coolers does not hold water. There is plenty of room in any CRJ for 2 Yeti 110 coolers and able to haul 6 people. Our MState aircraft routinely make 3 hour trips to the Gulf beaches and back. Most of the time, the coolers and gear are all purchased at destination and or left at host resort or condo. Plus the passengers literally carry their bags less than 15 feet. It is a great perk and it is utilized a TON.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Some people dont like flying- especially on smaller planes. Especially people with young children. Then we are talking coolers and other things people bring to the beach- especially when you have young children- that are easier packed in a vehicle than in a plane
    Uprooting your entire family for a lateral job because you would rather drive 2 hours to the beach instead of taking a 45 minute private flight seems unlikely when money is no object.

vCash
    and it may not. For some people it's not an issue. Some people it is. Coaches are always prepared to move as they know they wont be somewhere very long. It's the nature of the business- especially for assistants. It's a revolving door.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is