Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Sarkisian focuses on Alabama assistants, Mississippi State DC Zach Arnett for T

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    MSU has become Rent-A-DC U. Sucks. Maybe we can get Uhaul as a sponsor.
    The good and bad. Well bad is obvious but the good in this is that any good up and coming DC knows he can come thru Starkville and up his stock. We may not be the final destination but while they are here we are still good.

vCash
    We need to just pony up and pay top end money to keep coordinators. Money is the great equalizer and while Texas has more of it than us I bet we are willing to pay more to keep Arnett. Or, at least, I hope we are. The issue in the past has largely been that we didn?t have an administration (or boosters) willing to pay top dollar for coordinators.

We need to pay a coordinator enough that they are willing to stay and only leave for HC positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why? It's not like that job is a spring board to the NFL. Manny Diaz probably would have become a head coach more quickly if he had stayed here instead of detouring through La Tech, back to MSU and then to Miami.
    I said it earlier, they have a better chance to win their league, thus a better chance to win a national championship, have more resources, better recruiting base etc etc. only state people w glasses on would disagree.

vCash
    According to an article by the Long Horn Network, Muschamp declined the job and Barry Odom is their next target along with a chance of Ash staying. The article doesn’t even mention Arnett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We need to just pony up and pay top end money to keep coordinators. Money is the great equalizer and while Texas has more of it than us I bet we are willing to pay more to keep Arnett. Or, at least, I hope we are. The issue in the past has largely been that we didn?t have an administration (or boosters) willing to pay top dollar for coordinators.

We need to pay a coordinator enough that they are willing to stay and only leave for HC positions.
    We matched Florida's offer for Mullen, he still left. We matched FLoridas offer for Grantham, he still left with Mullen. We matched waht Bama offered Brian Baker, he still left. We matched what Texas offered Vic, he still left.

At some point we have to accept the fact that AD's are attracted to coaches from big name programs. Or they know it doens't matter, but they think they can sell a hire to the fanbase better if it's a hire from a big name school. "our new HC was the DC at 10-2 Texas" sounds better than "our new HC was the DC at 7-5 Mississippi State", even if the defensive ranking for both teams is the same. Fans are dumb and don't really think about the fact that a 8th ranked D at State is more impressive than an 8th ranked D at Texas due to our lesser talent. Fans think anyone that's coached at a big successful school learned the secret to being a winner while he was there.

As long as that's true, coaches will leave us. Improving our own perception nationally will reduce that incentive, but it will still be there. Money alone can't always make up for the increased HC potential coordinators get by being at big programs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    NO way in hell I would take a job that requires a alcoholic as a boss to stay sober.
    Good lord man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    We matched Florida's offer for Mullen, he still left. We matched FLoridas offer for Grantham, he still left with Mullen. We matched waht Bama offered Brian Baker, he still left. We matched what Texas offered Vic, he still left.

At some point we have to accept the fact that AD's are attracted to coaches from big name programs. Or they know it doens't matter, but they think they can sell a hire to the fanbase better if it's a hire from a big name school. "our new HC was the DC at 10-2 Texas" sounds better than "our new HC was the DC at 7-5 Mississippi State", even if the defensive ranking for both teams is the same. Fans are dumb and don't really think about the fact that a 8th ranked D at State is more impressive than an 8th ranked D at Texas due to our lesser talent. Fans think anyone that's coached at a big successful school learned the secret to being a winner while he was there.

As long as that's true, coaches will leave us. Improving our own perception nationally will reduce that incentive, but it will still be there. Money alone can't always make up for the increased HC potential coordinators get by being at big programs
    This guy is right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post

And I assume you are at the top of the line to help pay for this correct?? Which wouldn't matter, but I at least know where to go to help.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I said it earlier, they have a better chance to win their league, thus a better chance to win a national championship, have more resources, better recruiting base etc etc. only state people w glasses on would disagree.
    They have more resources- no one is debating that. But just because somewhere has more resources doesn't make it a better situation. A lot of bluebloods have internal issues. See Auburn.

With all of their resources- look at the kind of coaches that they are pulling. Herman came from Houston and we pulled Leach from a P5 school. Charlie Strong? And the guy that they just hired was a candidate for our job and we chose Leach over him.

I'm saying that sometimes it's better to wait than just jump at the first opportunity especially as a DC because those jobs come open much more frequently.

vCash
    Arnett bought a farm here.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    If Texas wants him, he'd be an idiot to stay.
    Then call him an idiot. Texas has internal issues and he doesn't want any part of it, per people inside the building. He may be filling us full of shit but he's telling his peers here he isn't interested, just like Odom told them he wasn't interested and just like Muschamp told them he isn't interested. We upped his salary to 7 figures. Of course Texas could pay him more if they really wanted to but they aren't going to pay a DC ten times more than the going rate that is as inexperienced as Arnett. They will just move on to the next guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsfanalongtime77 View Post
    Good lord man.
    No ... This makes a lot of sense. Alcoholics can fall back at any time - it's a constant struggle for them. One screw up is enough to get him fired and where does that leave his staff..... The guy screwed up and never even got to coach a game at USC before he was canned. Maybe working under Saban helped him but now he is back on his own with an incredible amount of pressure on him and the temptation is real. Very valid point or consideration
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Arnett bought a farm here.
    I hadn't heard that. But so did Vic. And I'm not saying he's leaving. Just pointing out, buying stuff that's an asset doesn't make one stay here. Or wherever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Then call him an idiot. Texas has internal issues and he doesn't want any part of it, per people inside the building. He may be filling us full of shit but he's telling his peers here he isn't interested, just like Odom told them he wasn't interested and just like Muschamp told them he isn't interested. We upped his salary to 7 figures. Of course Texas could pay him more if they really wanted to but they aren't going to pay a DC ten times more than the going rate that is as inexperienced as Arnett. They will just move on to the next guy.
    Shouldn't over pay him. Or anyone w his experience for that matter.

vCash
    Arnett is definitely the first MSU coach I have ever heard call out his neighbors by their names as being great people in a press conference. He even mentioned them helping him with a stuck zero turn. Of course, my first question is, can't we just pay someone to cut his grass? But some people find it relaxing I guess.....

He is definitely a perfect cultural fit for Mississippi State....straight shooter, hard edge, guys would run through a brick wall for him. That being said, foolish not to think their are other jobs he might find very enticing.
    Last edited by CovertDawg; 01-06-2021 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    No ... This makes a lot of sense. Alcoholics can fall back at any time - it's a constant struggle for them. One screw up is enough to get him fired and where does that leave his staff..... The guy screwed up and never even got to coach a game at USC before he was canned. Maybe working under Saban helped him but now he is back on his own with an incredible amount of pressure on him and the temptation is real. Very valid point or consideration
    He coached a year and half at SC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    He coached a year and half at SC
    yeah not sure what fish was thinking on that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

Exactly.

vCash
    I hope he stays, but let us also not forget that Arnett had been Syracuse's DC for all of 11 days before he accepted our offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I hope he stays, but let us also not forget that Arnett had been Syracuse's DC for all of 11 days before he accepted our offer.
    That's a good point, but it would be hard to turn down an offer to coach in the SEC. I put more stock in that he is from New Mexico and coaching at Texas would put him closer to home, though I don't know much that matters.