Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mullen Hot Seat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    These fools also want Grantham Gone ... also some expected Mullen dissatisfaction

https://www.secrant.com/rant/gator-s...llen/94244767/
    Well, they did go from #9 in Total D in '19 to #83 in '20; and from #7 in scoring D to #70. That's a pretty concerning drop off.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I know I'm not alone, but I stated from day one that he would last 3-4 years max at Florida. It was an easy prediction. Fired, retired, new gig,..... doesn't matter. He just wasn't going to stay there long.
    I said a similar thing, I may have said 3-5 but it wasn't going to be long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Yes and you see I stated "college coach". I gotta say Lombardi and Noll are the greatest two NFL coaches.

Btw, disregard the era who would you take, Bryant or Saban?
    I can't remember Bryant (too young), so I say saban

vCash
    If Florida is stupid enough to get rid of Dan then they deserve the MASSIVE drop off they would have. Mullen is a Top 5 coach and Florida won't be lucky enough to find anywhere near that level of coach if they fire Dan coming off an SEC Championship. Good coaches are always going to be a commodity. It's the nature of the business. I've never understood why a majority of people get butthurt when a coach interviews for a higher profile job. I mean I don't think someone would stay in a lower level job if someone offered a management position just because of the #FAMILY. Which is also a crock with the way fans run down the players. It's a business. I don't fault Dan one bit for seeing if an NFL job is out there. He's said for years, even when he was here, that the NFL is his ultimate goal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He's not a recruiter.
    And yet, he got FL on probation with illegal contact with recruits and a personal' show cause!'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No chance? Kliff kingsbury got an nfl job, so I wouldn't say no chance. And Mullen ran a much more pro style attack this season with trask
    Totally different. While I was shocked an NFL team actually hired Kingsbury, they did it because he was synonymous with the Air Raid and was a sexy name.

Nothing about Mullen would excite any NFL fan base, and while he's had success in college, he hasn't had enough and doesn't run a system they want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Totally different. While I was shocked an NFL team actually hired Kingsbury, they did it because he was synonymous with the Air Raid and was a sexy name.

Nothing about Mullen would excite any NFL fan base, and while he's had success in college, he hasn't had enough and doesn't run a system they want.
    The NFL is full of boring no name coaches. As a matter of fact I bet you can't name 20 NFL coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    If Florida is stupid enough to get rid of Dan then they deserve the MASSIVE drop off they would have. Mullen is a Top 5 coach and Florida won't be lucky enough to find anywhere near that level of coach if they fire Dan coming off an SEC Championship. Good coaches are always going to be a commodity. It's the nature of the business. I've never understood why a majority of people get butthurt when a coach interviews for a higher profile job. I mean I don't think someone would stay in a lower level job if someone offered a management position just because of the #FAMILY. Which is also a crock with the way fans run down the players. It's a business. I don't fault Dan one bit for seeing if an NFL job is out there. He's said for years, even when he was here, that the NFL is his ultimate goal.
    I didn't mind Dan looking for a job. I minded him not doing our job when looking for a job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    The NFL is full of boring no name coaches. As a matter of fact I bet you can't name 20 NFL coaches.
    Bill Belicheck, Joe Judge, Kliff Kingsbury, Pete Carrol, Bruce Arians, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer, Mike Vrabel, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Jon Gruden, Sean McVay, Matt Rhule and Kyle Shanahan.

Not trying to argue with you, I just wanted to see if I could do it off the top of my head lol. But to your credit, 20 is all I could think of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Well, they did go from #9 in Total D in '19 to #83 in '20; and from #7 in scoring D to #70. That's a pretty concerning drop off.
    How did he do the two years before ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Bill Belicheck, Joe Judge, Kliff Kingsbury, Pete Carrol, Bruce Arians, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer, Mike Vrabel, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Jon Gruden, Sean McVay, Matt Rhule and Kyle Shanahan.

Not trying to argue with you, I just wanted to see if I could do it off the top of my head lol. But to your credit, 20 is all I could think of.
    Niceee! I had to rep you for getting to 20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

What? Kingsbury was nothing. He was fired at TTU as an HC and considered a good catch by USC as OC. He was no more flashy a name than Muschamp would be. Gus had 10x the resume.

Kingsbury was hired because they thought his scheme would work and he could manage NFL personalities. Basically they thought his college problems was recruiting.

Mullen -if he is hired- will be hired for the same reasons. He's always adapted his O's to his personnel, and is a QB savant. Unlike Kingsbury he's shown he can build a program, and emphasize things like physicality. I don't think his personality meshes well in the player focused NFL, but there's plenty of reasons an NFL team would want him.

He has 5x the name recognition and resume as Kliff did. He's far higher respected too; Kliff had to take a blue blood OC job, if Mullen was fired 2 weeks ago he'd be at Auburn or Texas as their HC. Kliff worked out, but in no way was Kliff a "sexy name" and Mullen not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Yeah, and if you don't care about getting a coach that will excite people, there are 50 candidates you might hire before Mullen.

Kingsbury was hired partly to excite people because of the offense he runs. If you do care about that, you definitely won't hire Mullen. So he had something going for him that Mullen doesn't.

vCash
    Twitter verse now reporting Mullen has an interview in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Twitter verse now reporting Mullen has an interview in Atlanta.
    Pretty sure smoot is a falcon guy, so that would be funny if he gets the job

vCash
    If given the opportunity to, he gone. Get Lawrence, and he'd get to stay in state of Florida
    He wouldn't even have to move to a new house if he gets the Jacksonville job. But wasn't there some talk a year or two ago about moving the Jacksonville team to London? It's a pretty small (population wise) area, Green Bay notwithstanding, to have an NFL team.

vCash
    I can't remember Bryant (too young), so I say saban
    I remember Bryant, sort of vaguely. I'd say Saban as well - I don't think Bryant was as dominant as Saban is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I remember Bryant, sort of vaguely. I'd say Saban as well - I don't think Bryant was as dominant as Saban is.
    The Bear was a great motivator, his players loved him. It would be hard to say who was the greatest, both coaches changed their styles over time such as offenses. Pretty sure Bear's staff were more dedicated to the Bear. You need to read the book or story about the Bear and his A&M teams, Junction Boys, 10 days summer camp held in Junction Texas. It's an amazing story, players would leave camp sneaking out at midnight and never coming back! LOL, Bear also coached at Kentucky when Rubb was HC/Basketball. He left Ky when the alumni gave Rubb a Cadillac and the Bear received a watch. The Bear knew football wasn't important at Ky so he left and took the Aggie job.
    Side note, most wouldn't know who John David Crow was, Heisman trophy RB winner who played for the Bear at A&M. Crow was the AD at NLU when I was assistant basketball coach/Basketball. The stories he told me about the Bear would blow some away, tough ass Coach and like I stated players loved him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Bryant had a 30+ game SEC win streak which is remarkable. But Saban is in the discussion for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Bryant had a 30+ game SEC win streak which is remarkable. But Saban is in the discussion for sure.
    Bryant did great things but no one has done what Saban has in an era where SEC is bigger and better than ever. Scholarship limits and more talent available than when Bryant coached. In the playoff era, Saban has had to win more NC on the field of play too. Bryant got the media NC a lot just by popular votes.