Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mac Jones a 1st rounder?

vCash

Is Mac Jones a 1st rounder?

I would've said no imo until I saw this. Perhaps he's better than I thought...

"The Bama quarterback has thrown an uncatchable ball on just 18.7% of his 10-plus-yard passes, which is over four percentage points better than any other Power 5 quarterback since we began charting QB accuracy and ball location back in 2018.

Further cementing his place at the top is Jones' ability to limit negative plays. One of the most important and stable statistical measures to quarterback play is negatively graded throw rate, and there hasn?t been a better quarterback in that metric this season than the Crimson Tide passer. Not only does he lead all quarterbacks in negatively graded play rate this year, but he also leads every single QB of the PFF College era.

And all of this success isn?t entirely because he has open throw after open throw. He's actually thrown into a tight window on 15.2% of his passes this season, a rate that is about four percentage points higher than Tagovailoa's last season and is nearly double that of Justin Fields (8.3%) this year. Oh, and Jones has also been the most accurate passer on tight-window throws this season ? by a large margin"

https://www.pff.com/news/college-foo...in-cfb-history

vCash
    No. I think he will struggle in the NFL without Bama protection.

vCash
    Tua is the first Bama QB as far back as I can remember that's had mild success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Tua is the first Bama QB as far back as I can remember that's had mild success.
    Uh am I missing something? He?s been benched almost every game they let him start then got blown with with 3 picks today

vCash
    Also to answer OP, any other year yeah but there?s 4 guys ahead of him this year. I think he might sneak in late but not a sure fire like other years.

vCash
    Given the recent history of Bama QBs in the NFL, I don't take him in the 1st round if I'm a GM.

vCash
    I certainly wouldn't take him top 20. I might would give him a shot 27-32 though.

vCash
    Hell no.
    Career backup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Hell no.
    Career backup
    Do you read PFF? I think those guys are pretty smart, so I put weight in their stat based opinions.

vCash
    Probably not but could see him going in the 2nd to say New England. There are several teams that wanna go the qb route.

vCash
    He's incredibly accurate, but I'm not sure he's a guy you build a team around. Sark is a key reason he's excelled this season, like Kiffin was with Tua. NFL is different. The responsibility of reads, prep, and in-game progressions are on you. If he lands in Atlanta or somewhere that has a nice supporting cast, then he may be able to excel more. He'd be forgotten if he got drafted by Carolina.

vCash
    I wouldn't move up to take him if I needed a QB.

I'm very weary of these signal callers from these top tier programs that get the best protection all the time. They don't have to deal with as much in game adversity. Look at Mac Jones. How may times was he in a really pressure situation? Maybe Ole Miss? Maybe Florida?

Kids like Mac Jones and Lawrence will never been seen how they respond to a loss because they've never lost in the regular season. They don't have to come back and make changes. Same with kids like Fields amd Tua.

I said it last week. I'll be interested to revisit these guys in 3-5 years that played at Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, amd Oklahoma amd see where they are. Watson has done well. Mayfield better this year. But lots of unknowns for the rest.

vCash
    I don't see it. Like with every Bama QB he's surrounded by elite collegiate talent. Take that away and, meh. I wouldn't waste a pick on him. I don't even see him as a career backup either. None of Saban's Bama QB's have had great NFL careers.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Do you read PFF? I think those guys are pretty smart, so I put weight in their stat based opinions.
    I think with scouting- MLB or football- you have to use both stats and the eye test and integrate the two to come up with an overall evaluation. Stats are a tool but shouldn't be the only tool used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I couldn't care less what they think about his stats. He has no carrying tool and nothing dynamic about him. He's Mason Rudolph-ish. Not a 1st rounder and not a consistent NFL starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I don't see it. Like with every Bama QB he's surrounded by elite collegiate talent. Take that away and, meh. I wouldn't waste a pick on him. I don't even see him as a career backup either. None of Saban's Bama QB's have had great NFL careers.
    None of his qbs had 4000 plus 36 tds 4 picks. 77% completion percentage either. I see a team giving him a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsfanalongtime77 View Post
    None of his qbs had 4000 plus 36 tds 4 picks. 77% completion percentage either. I see a team giving him a shot.
    He'll get a shot for sure. I just don't think he has anywhere near the ingredients to be an NFL starter

He's the 4th best QB pro prospect in the SEC IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He'll get a shot for sure. I just don't think he has anywhere near the ingredients to be an NFL starter

He's the 4th best QB pro prospect in the SEC IMO
    Trask obviously then who else? Mond? 4th best is hard to come to terms with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsfanalongtime77 View Post
    Trask obviously then who else? Mond? 4th best is hard to come to terms with.
    Corral

Gap

Trask
    JT Daniels

Jones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    He's incredibly accurate, but I'm not sure he's a guy you build a team around. Sark is a key reason he's excelled this season, like Kiffin was with Tua. NFL is different. The responsibility of reads, prep, and in-game progressions are on you. If he lands in Atlanta or somewhere that has a nice supporting cast, then he may be able to excel more. He'd be forgotten if he got drafted by Carolina.
    Carolina has a better supporting cast than the Falcons. Christian McCaffery plus 3 1000yd receivers this year.