Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Miss. State vs Kentucky (Women's Basketball)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Kentucky has more talent and more experienced players than us.
    Experienced maybe, but to say they are more talented is just incorrect. The recruiting rankings will back that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'd at least give our new coach the rest of the season to judge her. She's in an almost impossible situation to succeed in by following a legend.
    Sounds like joe moe honestly. Never want to be the guy who follows the guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Experienced maybe, but to say they are more talented is just incorrect. The recruiting rankings will back that up.
    They have five players that are 5 stars- ranked 4, 17, 25, 32, 34 out of high school. One of their players is the pre-season pick for National POY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Sounds like joe moe honestly. Never want to be the guy who follows the guy
    Slightly different scenario. At least jomo didn?t have to follow two championship final appearances.

vCash
    I keep seeing so many people of the opinion that our team is absolutely loaded with talent and I just don’t think it’s true.

We are very good but we are far from elite and I don’t think people realize how much better overall women’s basketball has gotten in the last 8 years.

Carter is a beast offensively but is not a great post defender. Jackson has elite scoring potential but I’m starting to wonder how well she really understands the game as her spacial awareness is still an issue.

Matharu is really the only player we have that can score consistently. I still think she might be a better natural scorer than Rickea but we’ve kinda annoited Jackson as our alpha.

We don’t have a great natural rebounder or we don’t have a lot of good passers.

Clearly we are a top 15 team but I’m not sure we are sure fire top 8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsfanalongtime77 View Post
    Slightly different scenario. At least jomo didn?t have to follow two championship final appearances.
    I agree. I just meant nmp and joe both followed the best ever at our school in their respective sport in Dan and Vic. Interestingly, both nmp and joe strive to be relationship builders and friends with their players, whereas Vic and Dan were more hard asses. That's my biggest concern with nmp. Our toughness has gone to sh*t, same way that happened under joe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    We also played exceptionally poor defense on the one player they had that could beat us single handedly. When we were actually trying to defend Howard toward the end of the game, which we should have probably had 2 people on her most of the time, it was with Mathura. She is just not big enough to match up with Howard. At some point, after we had been burned one possession after another, our coach should have made some defensive adjustments. At one point in the 4th quarter Howard scored 12 straight points for them and she scored most of their points in OT.
    Bibby would have been on Howard. Can?t guard her with 5?10? players.

vCash
    If you do not let shooters. shoot and run clock you put yourself in position to loose. We should have been setting up three point shots with Wiggins and Matharu.

KY had 14 extra points on threes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I agree. I just meant nmp and joe both followed the best ever at our school in their respective sport in Dan and Vic. Interestingly, both nmp and joe strive to be relationship builders and friends with their players, whereas Vic and Dan were more hard asses. That's my biggest concern with nmp. Our toughness has gone to sh*t, same way that happened under joe.
    No one coaching style guarantees success. Calipari is quite the players coach and has done pretty well. Like it our not, the days of coaching players in a fashion that causes dislike in the name of toughness or some fear based respect are numbered. Thangs a changing!
    Last edited by PendingTransaction; 01-04-2021 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    Hey... But they can be sharp & wipe their private parts with their hand on Tik Tok & shake that a$$...

Great hire Cohen... Ya woke idiot..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    Hey... But they can be sharp & wipe their private parts with their hand on Tik Tok & shake that a$$...

Great hire Cohen... Ya woke idiot..
    STFU idot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    No one coaching style guarantees success. Calipari is quite the players coach and has done pretty well. Like it our not, the days of coaching players in a fashion that causes dislike in the name of toughness or some fear based respect are numbered. Thangs a changing!
    In both cases though it seems we drastically changed coaching styles. I certainly hope that the NMP hire ends up better than the JoMo hire but I agree that, in the case of JoMo, changing a HC that was an authority figure to a HC that was more of a buddy figure did not go well. I personally think Cohen made a mistake by not offering the WBB HC job to Johnnie Harris. Its not often that I would prefer an assistant get a HC job at MSU over another sitting HC that has shown some success but in the case of our WBB program I did. JH had a big part in building the program and culture that we had under Vic, and I think it would have been right to allow Harris the opportunity to keep that culture in place. NMP may work out but we made a change in the way things are done in our women's program when we didn't have to. We very well may end up regretting it. When things are really working well, a lot of times you are better to keep things as close as you can to what you already have in place. You don't always need to bring in someone from the outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    Cal is super hard on his guys. He berates them during games every game. Calls them out in pressers. Just told one kid to leave.

Your kids have to be tough to win. How you go about accomplishing that as a coach can differ, I agree.

vCash
    Why do y'all think NMP is a player's coach? I see her getting on the players during games and sitting them if they do something wrong. I don't know how she is outside of games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    In both cases though it seems we drastically changed coaching styles. I certainly hope that the NMP hire ends up better than the JoMo hire but I agree that, in the case of JoMo, changing a HC that was an authority figure to a HC that was more of a buddy figure did not go well. I personally think Cohen made a mistake by not offering the WBB HC job to Johnnie Harris. Its not often that I would prefer an assistant get a HC job at MSU over another sitting HC that has shown some success but in the case of our WBB program I did. JH had a big part in building the program and culture that we had under Vic, and I think it would have been right to allow Harris the opportunity to keep that culture in place. NMP may work out but we made a change in the way things are done in our women's program when we didn't have to. We very well may end up regretting it. When things are really working well, a lot of times you are better to keep things as close as you can to what you already have in place. You don't always need to bring in someone from the outside.
    JH played a major role in keeping the players from saying "17 this shat"