Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ole Miss v Indiana

vCash
    Dan Merlins lost as well.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    I’m not sure what’s so fancy about the OM offense. To me it reminds me of the back yard “get open or go deep and I’ll throw it to you” offense. They just have had the WR talent to pull it off.

vCash
    They create some 1:1 mismatches based on formations and route trees. Seems each player has a designed spot to go and then a safety valve so it’s primarily a one read offense.

I could be wrong but that’s how it looks to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I’m not sure what’s so fancy about the OM offense. To me it reminds me of the back yard “get open or go deep and I’ll throw it to you” offense. They just have had the WR talent to pull it off.
    Good OL makes any scheme seem better than it really is. For example everyone was freaking out about Gus's O back in '13 when they had a great OL. Every other year? meh to bad.

They also have a QB that makes all the throws, WRs that are good and on the same page with the QB. Past that, I think the magic of their O is that they all mentally grasp it. They can play fast, change plays, and execute well because nobody is lost. Kiffin gets credit for communicating his scheme so well, BUT is it really his scheme itself that's so good? Or the combo of these non-scheme factors?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Good OL makes any scheme seem better than it really is. For example everyone was freaking out about Gus's O back in '13 when they had a great OL. Every other year? meh to bad.

They also have a QB that makes all the throws, WRs that are good and on the same page with the QB. Past that, I think the magic of their O is that they all mentally grasp it. They can play fast, change plays, and execute well because nobody is lost. Kiffin gets credit for communicating his scheme so well, BUT is it really his scheme itself that's so good? Or the combo of these non-scheme factors?
    Lane kiffin total offense and scoring offense ranks nationally the last 4 years...
    2020: 3rd, 12th
    2019: 23rd, 14th
    2018: 14th, 45th
    2017: 9th, 8th

I'd say he's been pretty dang good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Dan Merlins lost as well.
    Yep, don't know how I forgot that.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash

I am just saying it looks like an offense that has more talented receivers that go catch any and everything. They seem to win the ball the majority of the time on 50/50 balls and do not have the easy drops that we do. If we had had the WR talent they have had the last decade, we probably have a trip or two to Atlanta and maybe playoffs. That is all we were really lacking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    SEC with 2 losses, Florida and auburn
    Yep, forgot about them.

vCash

vCash

You make a great point. What makes any scheme affective is the ability of the players to mentally grasp it. A great college coach understands that 18-22 yo players can't run complicated schemes. For various reasons, they simply can't retain and execute if it requires a lot of thinking. Keep it simple and allow the players to be athletes. Thinking and uncertainty will always make players a step slower and less athletic.

vCash
    I guess that is why we have had Croom?s Gulf Coast Offense, Mullen?s Read Option, Moorhead?s East Coast Offense, and now Leach?s Key West Offense. We don?t like consistency in our schemes from coach to coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I guess that is why we have had Croom?s Gulf Coast Offense, Mullen?s Read Option, Moorhead?s East Coast Offense, and now Leach?s Key West Offense. We don?t like consistency in our schemes from coach to coach.
    Yeah because at MSU we have to go 180 degrees away from the previous coach every time. We've been paying for Dan's bad recruiting on the offensive side of the ball too- which is why we were so young.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Thats our offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah because at MSU we have to go 180 degrees away from the previous coach every time. We've been paying for Dan's bad recruiting on the offensive side of the ball too- which is why we were so young.
    HMMM no Dan had us set up to run his offense. Joe then brought his guy in for the RPO and now Leach has to find players to run his O.