Thread: Don't follow the pearl clutching media. This was not a "brawl"

vCash

Don't follow the pearl clutching media. This was not a "brawl"

I watched the video over and over looking for a brawl thinking "wait did something else happen" but no.

There was a little scuffle in one area and then the crowd moved down near the end zone and that was about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwY0GWVVvYY

1:30 - State #3 comes in and throws a punch. Stupid. That gets everyone excited.

1:38 the Health kick and run occurs. The crowd is mostly apart it's not as if there's 20 hand to hand fights going on. The excitement takes people down towards the end zone.

1:46 a little shoving between Tulsa player and one of ourguys in Street clothes but the Tulsa player just runs away and nobody chases him. Wow some "brawl"

Also 1:46 - Tulsa player #11 runs up and shoves one of our smaller players (#19 i think) sending him flying to the ground. Nice delivery as the guy went flying from the 25 all the way to the 14 yd line! This causes some to come in but again mostly just standing apart and not some huge 10 on 10 boxing match. Look how separated the teams are.

And that's literally it! Not a damn brawl.

This story made Drudge for Pete's sake. Completely overblown.

vCash
    That was 100% on the game officials! They lost control during pre-game and never got it back! BS bizarre calls didn't help! They should be fired.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    I've seen better brawls at LSU games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    I watched the video over and over looking for a brawl thinking "wait did something else happen" but no.

There was a little scuffle in one area and then the crowd moved down near the end zone and that was about it.

1:30 - State #3 comes in and throws a punch. Stupid. That gets everyone excited.

1:38 the Health kick and run occurs. The crowd is mostly apart it's not as if there's 20 hand to hand fights going on. The excitement takes people down towards the end zone.

1:46 a little shoving between Tulsa player and one of ourguys in Street clothes but the Tulsa player just runs away and nobody chases him. Wow some "brawl"

Also 1:46 - Tulsa player #11 runs up and shoves one of our smaller players (#19 i think) sending him flying to the ground. Nice delivery as the guy went flying from the 25 all the way to the 14 yd line! This causes some to come in but again mostly just standing apart and not some huge 10 on 10 boxing match. Look how separated the teams are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

I agree the media portrayal is being sensationalized. But there are definitely some questions we need to look at.

There are 2 moments the tv feed does not capture that whoever sorts all this out will need to know more about. The first is whether one of their coaches instigated the incident. The espn analyst was running with this story early and that info has continued to leak out since. It is not shown on cameras, apparently just before or off camera.

The second is how/when their #1 got injured. He appeared to be on the edge of the dogpile even as things were breaking up. A few minutes later he could not walk off the field. What happened there?

A bonus question is if one of our coaches/staff body slammed one of their players, as they claim on their board.

The officials and the other team can sort out their part (which is most in my reckoning) but we need to hold ourselves accountable for our part in it.

vCash
    The fact is the talking heads love it when we do something like this. Guys like Herbie hate the SEC but cannot blast Bama, LSU, Florida. MSU is their ideal target bc they can unleash the wrath of their anger on us and blast the SEC without risk of offending future Gameday locations. Heath gave them the perfect target and visual to disregard Tulsa and focus squarely on us and they know the SEC will not come to our defense.

vCash
    I'll also add, horka is repeatedly claiming Heath kicked 7 in the face. @walkingbully on Twitter has several photos of the foot to the shoulder. Big difference.

Also, 7 came at Heath and swung twice before Heath threw him down and kicked him in the shoulder. I honestly have no problem with that. If you come at me swinging and I throw you down and kick you in the shoulder once while falling away (not stomping with my weight), don't cry to me. You came at me first.
    The bigger issue to me with Heath is him being stupid on social media after the game. That was stupid and he should be held accountable.

vCash
    Who even cares if it was the 'face'? The dude is wearing a football helmet, it's not like Heath was trying to kick him in his eye sockets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DovaDawg View Post
    The fact is the talking heads love it when we do something like this. Guys like Herbie hate the SEC but cannot blast Bama, LSU, Florida. MSU is their ideal target bc they can unleash the wrath of their anger on us and blast the SEC without risk of offending future Gameday locations. Heath gave them the perfect target and visual to disregard Tulsa and focus squarely on us and they know the SEC will not come to our defense.
    Excellent post. And they'll keep playing that role until we push back and stand up for ourselves instead of rolling over. I other words, stop playing the role that's expected - mitittipi tate we just glad to be be here. Funny thing, I actually heard someone in the stands say this at a game once when I was a kid. Back when it was still only called Scott Field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    Excellent post. And they'll keep playing that role until we push back and stand up for ourselves instead of rolling over. I other words, stop playing the role that's expected - mitittipi tate we just glad to be be here. Funny thing, I actually heard someone in the stands say this at a game once when I was a kid. Back when it was still only called Scott Field.
    Our leadership is trash and want to just maintain. Until we get new people in with new ideas and are bold, we will always be where we are now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Our leadership is trash and want to just maintain. Until we get new people in with new ideas and are bold, we will always be where we are now.
    Absolute truth

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    One of their players threw the first punch and hit #9 De?Monte Russell, who was not dressed out. Before Brule started. Not sure if there was anything before that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Who even cares if it was the 'face'? The dude is wearing a football helmet, it's not like Heath was trying to kick him in his eye sockets.
    Who cares where he kicked him? The point is that Heath had totally lost control, acted like a coward after he kicked him, and totally embarrassed MSU with that crap and his Instagram post.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    Who cares where he kicked him? The point is that Heath had totally lost control, acted like a coward after he kicked him, and totally embarrassed MSU with that crap and his Instagram post.
    Yes, Heath was dumb and should be disciplined, up to and including being kicked off the team if Leach feels it's warranted.

But let's not pretend #7 was actually in danger or anything. That's my point. It wasn't some egregious, treacherous kick.

vCash
    I have no problem with the kick. You come at me first swinging and I throw you down and kick your shoulder, that's on you. You started it by coming at me.

The social media crap was stupid and I'm fine with any discipline leach wants to hand out over that. It was so dumb.