Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This game reinforced one thing

vCash
    A bunch of freshmen and walkons found a way to win a bowl game against a ranked team, enjoy it guys. We have a tough minded players who want to win and play as a team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Anyone arguing that the G5 deserves a playoff spot, even in an expanded 8 team format, is crazy. Bama/Clemson would murder whoever the 8 seed G5 team is.
    That's not a problem. In fact, it's a reward for the team to keep playing hard and grab the #1 seed rather than resting up once they know they're in the playoff. The 2 seeds would rarely lose to the 7s, but they would usually have a much harder game than the 1 seeds.

And with the best G5 team included in the bracket, you never have people doubting the legitimacy of the champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Why yes- it certainly did. We won because of a Pick-6 today. We had less than 300 yards while they approached 500 yards. People acting like we were in total control are delusional.

We ran the ball much more the last 2 games which is what is needed for this offense to work. We will be better next year- I certainly agree with that. But there are still alot of questions. Tulsa ran the 3-8 and was patient most of the day- it worked for them. They went to man in the red zone and got burned. I'm curios to see how the DC's adjust to us even more in 2021 now that they have gotten a taste of the Air Raid
    If you want to take away our pick 6 then you have to take away our punt dribble. It evens out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    One of the reasons for yard disparity was Tulu kept returning to their 40. That's 35 yards that we didn't have to go every possession that started with a kickoff return, which I believe was 5 not counting the onside kick. So prob 150 yards.

I felt the game was pretty evenly matched. We have to get more explosive at outside wr and leach has to get more creative getting playmakers the ball.
    I've read this theory a few times now, so I checked out avg starting field position.

State: 10 possessions (threw out last one, recovered onside), avg starting possession was at state 32.5

Tulsa: 11 possessions, avg starting possession was at Tulsa 32.6

Virtually identical

vCash
    It seemed like every time Tulu made a big return we got called for a block in the back. This happens a lot on returns (not just us) which I would normally rather take the ball at the 25. Of course Tulsa was only kicking to the ten yard line so you have to try the run back in those cases.

No matter how you guys see the game we beat a ranked team and we were the underdog according to Vegas. Mullen hardly ever won as an underdog ( I just throw that in to lengthen this thread).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienfield View Post
    It seemed like every time Tulu made a big return we got called for a block in the back. This happens a lot on returns (not just us) which I would normally rather take the ball at the 25. Of course Tulsa was only kicking to the ten yard line so you have to try the run back in those cases.

No matter how you guys see the game we beat a ranked team and we were the underdog according to Vegas. Mullen hardly ever won as an underdog ( I just throw that in to lengthen this thread).
    It was state -1 at kickoff. We covered though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It was state -1 at kickoff. We covered though.
    I know it changed as the game time got closer but folks on here say that doesn't count.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienfield View Post
    I know it changed as the game time got closer but folks on here say that doesn't count.
    I think that's probably right. Vegas considered Tulsa the favorite, and the public changed it.

vCash
    This is our drive chart..
    3 plays 39 yds td
    3 plays 2 yds
    7 plays 13 yds
    7 plays 30 yards
    7 plays 16 yards
    9 plays 64 yards td
    4 plays 5 yds
    4 plays 12 yards
    11 plays 65 yds td
    3 plays 7 yds

It isn't like we were moving and just didn't have much field to move on
    Fair point. But the scenarios presented change that chart and total yards. End of half we stopped drive and threw a Hail Mary. Last drive we sat on it to run clock bc they mathematically couldn't win without onside kick or our turnover. Forbes 90 yard TD removed a whole drive. Short field on first TD (marks goes for 65 instead of 30 on that TD run if we start on our 25).

They moved the ball better no doubt though.

vCash
    I've read this theory a few times now, so I checked out avg starting field position.

State: 10 possessions (threw out last one, recovered onside), avg starting possession was at state 32.5

Virtually identical
    Mean vs median argument.

Also doesn't account for missing a whole drive on Forbes TD or game situation (sitting on the ball the last two possessions to run clock).

vCash
    Mean vs median argument.

Also doesn't account for missing a whole drive on Forbes TD or game situation (sitting on the ball the last two possessions to run clock).
    State: 58 plays 277 yds = 4.8 yds/play
    Tulsa: 86 plays 484 yds = 5.6 yds/play

I threw out our 2 kneels to end game.

vCash
    Fact. We never trailed in this game.
    Fact. 28-26
    Fact. Leach is still your football coach.

Happy New Year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknut View Post
    Fact. We never trailed in this game.
    Fact. 28-26
    Fact. Leach is still your football coach.

Happy New Year!
    Finishing out the year with a 2-game win streak vs decent teams is certainly a nice note to go out on. As I stated in shotgun's thread, I feel better about leach than I did midseason. I was disappointed in the offense yesterday though. I wanted to see us build on the really nice offensive game vs mizzou. Nevertheless, we won. Hopefully we start seeing more consistency next season from the offense. Happy new year

vCash
    State: 58 plays 277 yds = 4.8 yds/play
    Tulsa: 86 plays 484 yds = 5.6 yds/play

I threw out our 2 kneels to end game.
    That's about what I figured and paints a more accurate picture of the game flow. Throw out the Hail Mary, makes 57 plays for 277 yards, or 4.85 yards a play. For reference, that would equate to 417 yards vs their 484 if same amount of plays are run. Bout what I'd expect bc they moved the ball a little better than we did, just stalled out in the red zone a few times.

vCash
    That's about what I figured and paints a more accurate picture of the game flow. Throw out the Hail Mary, makes 57 plays for 277 yards, or 4.85 yards a play. For reference, that would equate to 417 yards vs their 484 if same amount of plays are run. Bout what I'd expect bc they moved the ball a little better than we did, just stalled out in the red zone a few times.
    4.85 is not good at all though. If we used these 2 avgs today, this is where they'd rank nationally...

4.85 = 107 out of 127
    5.63 = tied for 67 out of 127

We finished year at #104 out of 127 at
    4.92, so we were worse than normal.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/...10/sort02.html

vCash
    4.85 is not good at all though. If we used these 2 avgs today, this is where they'd rank nationally...

4.85 = 107 out of 127

It was 35 degrees, raining the whole game, with a 15-20 mph north wind. It is no surprise both teams per play average was not good.

Johnson and marks averaged over 6 yards a carry combined (6.5 for one and 5.7 the other). Our backs rushed 23 times for 140 yards, over 6 yards a carry. I though that was encouraging. Showed progress.

vCash
    It was 35 degrees, raining the whole game, with a 15-20 mph north wind. It is no surprise both teams per play average was not good.

Johnson and marks averaged over 6 yards a carry combined (6.5 for one and 5.7 the other). Our backs rushed 23 times for 140 yards, over 6 yards a carry. I though that was encouraging. Showed progress.
    Tulsa yesterday slightly raised their yds/play to 5.58 against the #4 defense in the sec in yds/play. We finished defensively at 5.4 yds/play for the season, so Tulsa raised that number in 35 degrees, rain, and wind.

vCash

Virtually identical
    I agree with your point, but the muffed punt helped their number a lot.

vCash
    Tulsa yesterday slightly raised their yds/play to 5.58 against the #4 defense in the sec in yds/play. We finished defensively at 5.4 yds/play for the season, so Tulsa raised that number in 35 degrees, rain, and wind.
    They threw and caught better than we did in the elements. No doubt. But they were also playing catch up and had to throw more, driving up yards per play. Especially late. It's why we forced turnovers too. Perfect example of the importance of game flow.
    Last edited by confucius say; 01-01-2021 at 10:38 AM.

vCash

4.85 = 107 out of 127

We still have a long ways to go to live up to the offensive guru status to be the vaunted "air raid". I agree with others, the run game the past two games is encouraging.