Thread: Is 'opting out' here to stay?

vCash

Is 'opting out' here to stay?

Another phrase from 2020 I'm sick of seeing

vCash
    Unless NCAA Covid protocols change it is here to stay.

vCash
    Never going away now. But it'll only be for the draft.

vCash
    Yeah I think it will be for high draft picks only once this vaccine gets out and hopefully things get back to normal as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Yeah I think it will be for high draft picks only once this vaccine gets out and hopefully things get back to normal as possible.
    I think you are exactly right.

However at what point does the university providing
    The scholarship require a player to play?

Will there ever be a set of consequences if a player "opts out" mid year to protect himself for the draft?

With our current schedule set up, a true nfl talent really has no reason to play (by this logic) after the Bama game.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 12-29-2020 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    This is why there needs to be a minor league for football that can take those folks that have 0 interest in college and put them in an environment more suited to them. Maybe then we would get back to amateur status in college sports.

vCash

Yes

"Opting out" was supposed to be specifically in regards to sitting out due to COVID concerns with the implication that the player would eventually be back, but now it seems to be a used more often as a nicer way of saying "quitting early". Since quitters often don't want to be called "quitters", I'm sure "opting out" will be the replacement term.

vCash
    Right now you can opt out without losing eligibility. I think that's a one year thing. In the future, I think the only opt outs will be draft hopefulls opting out of bowl games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    It won't just be for high picks. It'll be guys ready to get to the NFL regardless. Especially those with a family to support. And it won't work out for all of them, but that's the chance they'll take.

vCash
    Until 90% of the schools aren't playing a glorified exhibition season, it will only get worse. I can't blame a player who has a chance to make any money at all playing football who does it either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It won't just be for high picks. It'll be guys ready to get to the NFL regardless. Especially those with a family to support. And it won't work out for all of them, but that's the chance they'll take.
    Not sure what you are calling high picks, but I think it will just be a thing for players with solidified draft status. I think outside of this year, mid or late round picks opting out mid season will be penalized on draft day, so you won't see that outside of problem players. If the NFL shows mid and late round picks get punished worse for an injury than opting out mid season, then it could become a big deal. I think the bowl game opt out was already well established.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Until 90% of the schools aren't playing a glorified exhibition season, it will only get worse. I can't blame a player who has a chance to make any money at all playing football who does it either.
    Exactly. Opting out is a reflection of how these bowls don't mean anything.

vCash

This is correct

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    "Opting out" was supposed to be specifically in regards to sitting out due to COVID concerns with the implication that the player would eventually be back, but now it seems to be a used more often as a nicer way of saying "quitting early". Since quitters often don't want to be called "quitters", I'm sure "opting out" will be the replacement term.
    Thinking about opting out of my job due to terrible hours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    In the future, I think the only opt outs will be draft hopefulls opting out of bowl games.
    Probably and I think you will see more and more NFL hopefuls opt out in the future. Particularly the ones in the lesser bowls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This is why there needs to be a minor league for football that can take those folks that have 0 interest in college and put them in an environment more suited to them. Maybe then we would get back to amateur status in college sports.
    I think that's different IF the premise is these players are opting out to not get hurt because in theory you have the same chance of getting hurt playing minor league football as you would playing college football.

And I'll be honest- I HATE the MLB draft taking high school baseball players. I don't want to see that in football.

vCash
    Evidently opting out can be temporary as well. Opt here, play there. Hmmm. Hahaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    Another phrase from 2020 I'm sick of seeing
    Agree, sick of several words from 2020. Opt out is nice code word for quit.

Sick of hearing Covid19 everywhere you turn. I went to national weather service website today and it has more Covid stuff on it than weather. The world became obsessed with Covid in order to manipulate everyone we do and how we do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree, sick of several words from 2020. Opt out is nice code word for quit.

Sick of hearing Covid19 everywhere you turn. I went to national weather service website today and it has more Covid stuff on it than weather. The world became obsessed with Covid in order to manipulate everyone we do and how we do it.
    Nobody is trying to manipulate you. You need to get over that.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.