Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The in state recruiting problem

vCash
    As far as getting one or two more 4 star in state players helping our talent level well all that would technically do is help our ranking and number of stars. We have gotten some of the best talent hence our NFL talent we have put in league. We were ranked #4 nationally in top 100 players. Not too shabby. Many of those stars don't work out and we have so many 2-3 stars that blow up the league. We must continue to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yep, I live in Bama and Bama attracts all kinds of bandwagon fans. I know Columbus has a ton. Everybody wants to be associated with a winner. The true maroon folks went to MSU or had family go there and have pride in their school.

My kids grew up in Alabama and now I have a daughter in school at MSU. I even converted my wife a long time Bamer to a Dawg. I thought that was impossible but it happened.

In some parts of the state of Alabama there are very large groups of MSU alumni and fans. I would say where I live, MSU is a close third behind Auburn. Just at lunch today, I saw two other families in a fast food joint with MSU attire on - no Auburn or Bama. MSU has made some inroads. The 2014 and Dak run along with the womens bball and baseball has exploded the MSU brand nationally. It has been incredible watching it while living in another state.

Bama has about 75% of state it seems like.
    We have made huge progress over the past decade. A lot of it is what you point to, but I'll add our overall merchandise availability has exploded as well since we moved to Adidas. I know they aren't everyone's favorite - but being an out of state person, it was next to impossible for me to get gear pre-Adidas. Yeah, I could get some items from the Lodge or bookstore online - but selection was very limited. Now, it's easy online - and I even occasionally find stuff at stores here in coastal GA or in Jacksonville. I now run into MSU folks everywhere because of that too. That never happened prior to 2010 or so.

vCash
    Yep, I live in Bama and Bama attracts all kinds of bandwagon fans. I know Columbus has a ton. Everybody wants to be associated with a winner. The true maroon folks went to MSU or had family go there and have pride in their school.

My kids grew up in Alabama and now I have a daughter in school at MSU. I even converted my wife a long time Bamer to a Dawg. I thought that was impossible but it happened.

In some parts of the state of Alabama there are very large groups of MSU alumni and fans. I would say where I live, MSU is a close third behind Auburn. Just at lunch today, I saw two other families in a fast food joint with MSU attire on - no Auburn or Bama. MSU has made some inroads. The 2014 and Dak run along with the womens bball and baseball has exploded the MSU brand nationally. It has been incredible watching it while living in another state.

Bama has about 75% of state it seems like.
    I lived down in Gulf Shores for 3 years and it was 50/50 among the locals.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here's why I think we have a lot of problems with in state players and what we can do about it.

1. We have ZERO media presence in state. Our best media guy is probably Brandon Walker. I'm not sure how far his reach is though. If you go to Louisiana LSU is hyped up by the media. Same thing with other states like Arkansas. Even worse though our Clarion-Ledger beat writer is not only not talking positively about MSU- he is writing slanderous articles about how Ole Miss has taken us over. That's an issue we need to take up with the Clarion-Ledger.

2. Mississippi has a poor ole me attitude from its citizens. There is very little state pride and you often here from the citizens "I'm leaving for __ whenever I first get the chance."

So because MSU has zero media presence it is up to MSU to create it's own pride and image. What MSU needs to do for the next year:

1. Threaten to pull the Clarion-Ledger's press credentials. And then follow through and pull them if our beat writer writes another slanderous article.

2. Have the MSU video department do short interviews with former MSU players from Mississippi that made it to the NFL and talk about why going to MSU was a good decision for them and talk about their favorite memories of playing at MSU. So, Anthony Dixon, Eric Moulds, Gabe Jackson, Elgton Jenkins, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Jeffrey Simmons, KJ Wright, Benardrick McKinney, Johnathan Abrams- he could talk about why he came back to MSU after going to Georgia, and Jonthan Banks. Fans could tweet the videos to recruits. You could also have current players like Jaden Walley, Emmanuel Forbes, and etc. talk about their decision to go to MSU.
    Good post there Todd

vCash
    As far as getting one or two more 4 star in state players helping our talent level well all that would technically do is help our ranking and number of stars. We have gotten some of the best talent hence our NFL talent we have put in league. We were ranked #4 nationally in top 100 players. Not too shabby. Many of those stars don't work out and we have so many 2-3 stars that blow up the league. We must continue to do that.
    Yes, it would improve our ranking in recruiting as a byproduct but for me it's more about filling in spots and getting the best talent to MSU. Deion Smith and Ahmad Calloway would make difference on the field for us immediately and in the future. Fortunately the transfer portal allows to get some of these players back.

vCash
    What happened to the Relentless videos. I mean it seems like almost every college has a version of The Season on YouTube except us now. I know this isn't a major thing with recruiting but it can't hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    What happened to the Relentless videos. I mean it seems like almost every college has a version of The Season on YouTube except us now. I know this isn't a major thing with recruiting but it can't hurt.
    In Covid quarantine. But I agree those were good and should be continued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I feel like I've been reading this post 2-3 times a year since Gene's page was started.
    For reals. It is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    I was told it took too long, took too much time, etc.

And I agree- that should be brought back.

Only question I have there is if MSU isn't giving them enough money or are they too lazy? Or both?

vCash

Only question I have there is if MSU isn't giving them enough money or are they too lazy? Or both?
    All the above and add in a heaping cup of incompetence.

vCash
    As far as Jxn sports radio, three of the four hosts (Bounds, Whim and Wyatt) are solid MSU guys. Brooks is a UM guy, but by no means over the top about it. I do believe Finebaum truly hates MSU though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    As far as Jxn sports radio, three of the four hosts (Bounds, Whim and Wyatt) are solid MSU guys. Brooks is a UM guy, but by no means over the top about it. I do believe Finebaum truly hates MSU though.
    Yep Finebaum hates MSU, decades of proof on that just as he loves him some Bama. He will say he doesn't but he lies.

vCash
    del
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 12-28-2020 at 01:51 AM.

vCash
    Yep Finebaum hates MSU, decades of proof on that just as he loves him some Bama. He will say he doesn't but he lies.
    He defended Freeze and UM until the bitter end. He's probably still on the Freezus train.

vCash
    I was told it took too long, took too much time, etc.

And I agree- that should be brought back.

Heard the same. Which seems stupid to me. Those 20 minute hits were awesome.

Also, the CL ran a Christmas Day piece entitled merry flipmas: the secret to lane kiffin flipping recruits (I'm paraphrasing the subtitle). I didn't click on it out of principle, but I guarantee you they didn't interview pounders for that article and get his feeling about kiffins strategy for flipping recruits and how it affects the life of kids who would have signed in the sec instead of Memphis. Screw the CL

vCash
    We've been the best instate recruiting school for awhile. But AL and LSU can get whoever they want for the most part. There's no loyalty and little dreaming of playing for State and OM like at LSU/AL or even GA. We will never recruit like those schools.
    As far as getting MS kids back from the portal, why do you want those back that sat somewhere a few years? You think you're going to beat the better teams with them? No. If they don't transfer out early or with good minutes , it's pretty pointless.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 12-28-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    We don't have that big of an issues with in state guys....your 2nd number 2 proves that. If there is an issue at all it's because we share a state with OM. LSU(you mentioned) is THE university there. I for one don't have an issue with looking past in state guys and going OOS especially for skill position kids who are familiar with the air raid.
    No Signature