Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few things Leach needs to do to be successful

vCash

A few things Leach needs to do to be successful

1. Recruit like MSU has in the past at minimum. Get top Mississippi kids especially on D. Get the top JUCO players. Go get some key transfers in the portal.

2. Keep Arnett for several years at least to get the D re-established as one of best in SEC to help #1. He isn't going to stay forever but at least get some momentum.

3. Mix the run with the air raid. We saw what that can do vs Mizzou. We must be able to run the ball - get a short first down, run some clock with a lead, open up the passing game, keep D guessing (not jumping passing crossing routes or long screens).

vCash
    Yep, yep, and yep.

vCash
    You missed the most important one:

4. Read EliteDawgs for more coaching strategy!

vCash
    I haven't really seen it discussed but Mizzou really helped us out by playing some man to man. That was shocking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I haven't really seen it discussed but Mizzou really helped us out by playing some man to man. That was shocking.
    So did Auburn, so did Vandy, so did Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    You missed the most important one:

4. Read EliteDawgs for more coaching strategy!
    Ha, good one.

Long time Dawg fans and ED posters know a thing or two when you have followed the program, from Miss, etc. for 40-50 years.

Also nothing I said is different that the "experts" have said since so many will not listen to ED posters. I just happen to agree with the "experts" on this.

I'm no expert but I've seen what has worked when MSU has been successful. Also football ain't complicated when you simplify it down to key principals.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    I'm of the mindset that Arnett is a bit of a different kind of guy than many in the profession. He was coached by Rocky Long at New Mexico - Rocky was at UNM for 10 years when Arnett played for him.
    Rocky Long was at SanDiego State for a decade when Arnett came and joined him on staff.
    What I'm saying is that Arnett has been around, coached by, and learned from a coach who had a great grasp of being at a place and building longevity and sustained success. On the the surface, at least, it seems that Arnett has been around these guys for years and truly enjoys being around them. I CAN tell you from experience that DCs love having full reign of their side of the ball and let them do what they feel needs to be done - and it does seem that Arnett found that in Leach - a HC that trusts him fully. That makes a huge difference for a lot of coaches.
    He runs an unconventional defensive scheme and philosophy than a lot of ppl at the P5 level. There's not a lot of HCs that want to risk making that switch to a 3-3-5.

UNM doesn't win much, but if you look at that state, there's not much in terms of talent to win with within an 8+ hr drive for a P5/G5 program.
    having coached in New Mexico, those coaches in the HS/college ranks are phenomenal talents because they do more with less. And they are very loyal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    They played some man on the outside, zone in the middle. Mizzou actually played some full out man.

vCash
    Leach simply needs to keep doing what he is doing.

We're on the same path currently as Texas Tech and Washington State.

Just keep bringing in the players that fit the system on both sides of the ball. So, we just need to finish recruiting this class well- especially in the secondary and win the bowl game.

Our run/pass ratio will settle in at 70/30 pass as our players master Leach's system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Didn't you hear? The three man rush always works against Leach?**

We started to beat the rush 3 drop 8 and teams were forced to try something else. Natural progression for Leach's system.

vCash
    Once our offensive line started protecting better, our offense started moving the ball more effectively. Obvious point here, but our WR talent has to improve drastically before we take the next step. We throw the ball more than anyone in the SEC, and maybe the nation, and we have bottom-3 WR talent in the conference. That will get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    According to Matt Wyatt, Mizzou tried zone & we whacked them for a few big plays & then they went to man to man.

We've grown since early in the season. The 3-8 is no longer the answer to stopping this offense. In fact, the thing that's been most successful at stopping this offense since the UGA game is bullying our WR off the line, playing man to man, & getting a pass rush
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    I'm of the mindset that Arnett is a bit of a different kind of guy than many in the profession. He was coached by Rocky Long at New Mexico - Rocky was at UNM for 10 years when Arnett played for him.
    Rocky Long was at SanDiego State for a decade when Arnett came and joined him on staff.
    What I'm saying is that Arnett has been around, coached by, and learned from a coach who had a great grasp of being at a place and building longevity and sustained success. On the the surface, at least, it seems that Arnett has been around these guys for years and truly enjoys being around them. I CAN tell you from experience that DCs love having full reign of their side of the ball and let them do what they feel needs to be done - and it does seem that Arnett found that in Leach - a HC that trusts him fully. That makes a huge difference for a lot of coaches.
    He runs an unconventional defensive scheme and philosophy than a lot of ppl at the P5 level. There's not a lot of HCs that want to risk making that switch to a 3-3-5.

UNM doesn't win much, but if you look at that state, there's not much in terms of talent to win with within an 8+ hr drive for a P5/G5 program.
    having coached in New Mexico, those coaches in the HS/college ranks are phenomenal talents because they do more with less. And they are very loyal.
    This is true.

Rumor is that Jimmy Sexton came after Arnett recently & he told him to go kick rocks.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    [QUOTE=HoopsDawg;1297633]They played some man on the outside, zone in the middle. Mizzou actually played some full out man.[/QUOTE

Auburn played man free and some cover 2 it w man under for 75% of the plays. Missouri did the same exact thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    According to Matt Wyatt, Mizzou tried zone & we whacked them for a few big plays & then they went to man to man.

We've grown since early in the season. The 3-8 is no longer the answer to stopping this offense. In fact, the thing that's been most successful at stopping this offense since the UGA game is bullying our WR off the line, playing man to man, & getting a pass rush
    Missouri came into the game saying they played man and that's what they do. And they did. They didn't go zone until we whipped them in man. And we kept whipping them basically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Didn't you hear? The three man rush always works against Leach?**

We started to beat the rush 3 drop 8 and teams were forced to try something else. Natural progression for Leach's system.
    Yep. Started w candy who tried to zone us. Didn't work and they mixed the rest of the game. With that said, running it vs Missouri is the best thing we've done to help everything IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Leach simply needs to keep doing what he is doing.

We're on the same path currently as Texas Tech and Washington State.

Just keep bringing in the players that fit the system on both sides of the ball. So, we just need to finish recruiting this class well- especially in the secondary and win the bowl game.

Our run/pass ratio will settle in at 70/30 pass as our players master Leach's system.
    To keep doing what you did 30 years ago is a recipe for failure in any field. He has never been in SEC. If he don't adapt a little he will not ultimately raise the bar any at MSU and likely lowers it.

As far as running the ball, MSU has known how to run the ball for decades. We don't have to learn the air raid to run the ball. He could have run the ball early in the year. j Actually would make sense to run it more if the excuse is we didn't have the players or had not learned the new O but we didn't do that. He had the SEC leading rusher on his team and we threw the ball all the the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Here we go again. Same thing after a half of UGA and the OleMiss game. We think we have solved something. Until we do it for a bunch of games in a row, we ain't proved nothing. Like Olemiss, I'm not convinced Mizzou is really any good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post

I could see that being the way he is. I kinda like it as long as he is getting it done, which he is. The I'm out for me mindset is never good for the locker room or culture of any organization. You gotta have some foundation guys that are the bedrock of who you are. I like what Arnett brings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Here we go again. Same thing after a half of UGA and the OleMiss game. We think we have solved something. Until we do it for a bunch of games in a row, we ain't proved nothing. Like Olemiss, I'm not convinced Mizzou is really any good.
    Fact is, we need better players and better execution and better coaching to ever beat teams in the sec. it's unforgiving. We will never consistently beat the blue bloods we won't.