Thread: Regular Season Wrap Up Thoughts

vCash

Regular Season Wrap Up Thoughts

I really solid win for us on Saturday and as I was sitting in the stadium watching the end of the OM/LSU game I started thinking about our season as a whole and had a few thoughts:

1. As frustrating as the season was a whole starting the season out the way we did at LSU was probably as excited as I've been as a State fan in 6 years. Yea we crashed 6 days later but the way we played that day was so damn fun to watch. Hate how the season ended for KJ, but he was on fire that day and gave us a memory I don't think we'll forget for a long time.

2. I think if we had to play UK and Arky right now we'd probably beat them. Kentucky is terrible at the moment, and honestly they were terrible that night too. Our offense just didn't look right once we left the field in Baton Rouge and it took us about 6 weeks to find it again. I think losing Kylin to the concussion probably cost us the Arky game. He'd played so well the week before and I felt like he was due a big game that night too.

3. Zach Arnett is a rising star. I don't think anyone could've predicted what we saw from our defense this year. Yea our secondary struggled but they were absolutely decimated and I think we have a bright future with Emerson and Forbes back there. It'll be big to get Peters back next year and get Duncan another year of development. The job Zach did this year facing literally insurmountable circumstances, especially when we had no semblance of an offense, was downright borderline unbelievable. We're lucky to have him and need to enjoy him for the time he's with us.

4. Will Rodgers has improved and will continue to improve. I thought Saturday was another solid day for Will and he's really only had one bad start since he took over the starting job against Vandy. It'll be interesting to see his continued development in this offense. And make no mistake, he's going to have to continually get better each and every rep to hold off Robertson.

5. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a team as I was for that team that took the field at UGA. Just a warrior mentality,

6. Jaden Walley. My god this kid is going to shatter every receiving record we have before he leaves here. He looks like Devonta Smith did as a freshman. Our receiver room is already miles better than it's been in the last 10 years and it's only going to get better. Future is bright at that position.

7. Thank you for finally running the ball CML. Our running game was a godsend on Saturday and you saw what it does to the defense. Once we were able to establish it the holes in the defense were everywhere.

This bowl game is going to be big for us and we need to win it to take some momentum into next year.

vCash
    [QUOTE=StarkVegasSteve;1297107]
    5. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a team as I was for that team that took the field at UGA. Just a warrior mentality,

I had the same feelings about that game. Complete effort by everyone. Hopefully this was a turning point we can look back at and say, this is where the turn happened, where everyone bought in!!

vCash
    [QUOTE=DLGDawg;1297212]
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post

I had the same feelings about that game. Complete effort by everyone. Hopefully this was a turning point we can look back at and say, this is where the turn happened, where everyone bought in!!
    Hell the OLe MIss game came down to the last play and we only had 47 scholarship guys.

vCash
    Walley played like a 5 star recruit as a true freshman. He's easily the most exciting freshman WR we've had in probably forever. He's got the size, speed and ball skills to where the sky is the limit for that kid.

vCash
    Good post.

Yeah I called #3 & #6 multiple times before the season. Walley is going to re-write the record book for a WR here. He’s such a stud.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Good post.

Yeah I called #3 & #6 multiple times before the season. Walley is going to re-write the record book for a WR here. He’s such a stud.
    Here?

He's going to rewrite the record book for the SEC
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jack Lambert;1297214]
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post

Hell the OLe MIss game came down to the last play and we only had 47 scholarship guys.
    45 by the end of the game. Payton and Heath were out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Here?

He's going to rewrite the record book for the SEC
    Could be possible as well. Still got 1 game left but when you come in as a true freshman against an all SEC schedule and put up a 48/691/2 stat line, you’re putting people on notice.

He could flirt with Ross’ single season receptions record next year if our QB play continues to improve. Will needs to work on staring down WR’s (99% of freshmen battle that) but him and Walley have a great connection and that’ll only improve more over spring and summer workouts.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree with all. Here is what I'm also excited about...it seemed once the purge was complete that the remaining players got closer as a unit and you could feel the buy in. Especially when we lost the guys to COVID-19 and got down below 50. There was no lack of effort or quit in this group. And it was led by our youngest ones! What might have been if Austin Williams had run his route one more yard and caught that ball in the end zone. Can't wait til next year already.