Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Our potential weekend rotation

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,417
    vCash
    600

    Our potential weekend rotation


  2. #2
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,015
    vCash
    1200
    Cerantola has to throw more strikes to be a factor. Walked more than innings pitched in the Fall & has never had a BB/IP rate below 5 per 9 IP.

    That won't cut it & he won't be a factor on this team unless he gets his BB/P at 4 per 9 or lower
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  3. #3
    Senior Member StarkVegasSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,740
    vCash
    95574
    Macleod is the unquestioned ace of the staff. There's zero doubt about it. He's the Friday night guy you need in this league. After that is where it gets interesting. We have A LOT of talented arms and we've just got to find where to place them. I mean Bednar, Wild Thing, Harding, Koestler, and Brandon Smith could all be weekend starters. And these are just the returning guys. I think guys like Stone Simmons and Cameron Tullar could also find their way into that conversation. We're deep so enough arms won't be the problem. Just have to get the right combo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    148
    vCash
    500
    I am just excited that next year we will have two guys with the first name STONE playing baseball at State. That has to be a record.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,020
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Cerantola has to throw more strikes to be a factor. Walked more than innings pitched in the Fall & has never had a BB/IP rate below 5 per 9 IP.

    That won't cut it & he won't be a factor on this team unless he gets his BB/P at 4 per 9 or lower
    This. Bednar is the two and we have plenty of options to take over for EC if he can't command the zone. But I hope he does. Makes us better.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SaintDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Brandon
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    14629
    If you dont know it, remember this kid's name: K.C. Hunt
    https://youtu.be/4pVU9DjbskA

  7. #7
    Senior Member KOdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,781
    vCash
    2674
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Cerantola has to throw more strikes to be a factor. Walked more than innings pitched in the Fall & has never had a BB/IP rate below 5 per 9 IP.

    That won't cut it & he won't be a factor on this team unless he gets his BB/P at 4 per 9 or lower
    I hope the light clicks for him because he's got elite stuff. If I remember correctly, when he had to throw a strike, he'd rely on his breaking ball. Meaning it's his fastball that's the issue.

    I think he gets the nod for Sundays to start out, but he'll be on a very short leash. Just too much talent waiting behind him for us to keep trotting a loose cannon out there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,119
    vCash
    389
    Bednar would be the Friday night starter on a lot of SEC weekend rotations this year. He’s our Saturday guy.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,617
    vCash
    600
    Cerantola does not need to be great (first weekend) for the rotation to be great. He could click in late like Zac Houston or become a middle reliever with clean inning starts

    The catchers also mention Stinnett as a significant talent. D1 baseball raved about him and KC Hunt
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 12-19-2020 at 12:15 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,051
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Cerantola does not need to be great (first weekend) for the rotation to be great. He could click in late like Zac Houston or become a middle reliever with clean inning starts

    The catchers also mention Stinnett as a significant talent. D1 baseball raved about him and KC Hunt
    I hope he clicks like Chris Stratton or Dakota Hudson.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,417
    vCash
    600
    If Cerantola does put it all together, he’s a potentially our best starter, and that is saying quite a lot.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,147
    vCash
    600
    How's Blake Smith doing? Had really high hopes for him before TJ

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,888
    vCash
    1200
    Bednar was pretty impressive at times last year as a true freshman. His stuff is obvious. I’m not going to talk about Cerantola anymore.

    I am getting way ahead of myself here, but how does vandy’s depth compare to ours? They have 2 starters (rocker and lighter) in the top 10 so they have an edge over us there.

    The key is for our offense to be a little better that we are expecting. It is possible that James at SS could have numbers as good or better than Westburg. 2B is where we are going to see a definite drop off in offense.

    And we need TA to be decent defensively in the outfield. He was showing signs of a potential Barnum and Bailey act on fly balls before he got hurt.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,051
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    How's Blake Smith doing? Had really high hopes for him before TJ
    Do you mean Spencer Price? Blake graduated a couple of years ago.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,147
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Do you mean Spencer Price? Blake graduated a couple of years ago.
    Sorry, BRANDON Smith

  16. #16
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,051
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Bednar was pretty impressive at times last year as a true freshman. His stuff is obvious. I’m not going to talk about Cerantola anymore.

    I am getting way ahead of myself here, but how does vandy’s depth compare to ours? They have 2 starters (rocker and lighter) in the top 10 so they have an edge over us there.

    The key is for our offense to be a little better that we are expecting. It is possible that James at SS could have numbers as good or better than Westburg. 2B is where we are going to see a definite drop off in offense.

    And we need TA to be decent defensively in the outfield. He was showing signs of a potential Barnum and Bailey act on fly balls before he got hurt.
    Candy's top two guys are better than our top two but we're better depth wise IMO. Problem is two elite starters is enough to win a series. But the gap isn't so big that we can't compete and have a chance to win a series against them.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,051
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Sorry, BRANDON Smith
    Oh! He's looked Ok and is still rehabbing. Should be ready with a strict pitch count by the spring.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    153
    vCash
    600
    Pitching will be outstanding for awhile. 2021 class has Pico Kohn to boot. Should be exciting

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,617
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I hope he clicks like Chris Stratton or Dakota Hudson.
    Remind me, DH was more wild in the zone than purely wild.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,059
    vCash
    600
    I just hope we can actually have a season and not some hybrid schedule and/or have it cancelled like last year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.