Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash

Perspective

Fellas, we all want to win and pull for a team of competent players and coaches. But for a little perspective, I watched interviews and reactions of our signees and their families. This is a life changing opportunity that they have earned and all of them are excited to be dawgs. You could see the excitement of the families all decked in state gear. If just for a minute, I stopped looking at the players we missed and looking at the guys that want to be here and are taking advantage of a great opportunity. I?ll be pulling for those guys. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Fellas, we all want to win and pull for a team of competent players and coaches. But for a little perspective, I watched interviews and reactions of our signees and their families. This is a life changing opportunity that they have earned and all of them are excited to be dawgs. You could see the excitement of the families all decked in state gear. If just for a minute, I stopped looking at the players we missed and looking at the guys that want to be here and are taking advantage of a great opportunity. I?ll be pulling for those guys. Hail State!
    Good post! Excited for the ones we signed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Good post! Excited for the ones we signed!
    I'd rather have the ones that want to be here as opposed to those that don't.

vCash
    I'll add this - our last class that was ranked 36th - 2014 - gave us 6 NFL players; Gerri Green, JT Gray, Logan Cooke, Elgton Jenkins, Braxton Hoyett, Deion Calhoun, a 1000+ yard RB (Aeris Williams), and the SEC's all time leading QB for rushing yards (Fitzgerald).
    Our lowest ranked class over the past decade - 2011 (41) - gave us 5 NFL Players Dak Prescott, Benardrick McKinney, Darrius Slay, Taveze Calhoun, & Preston Smith.

I think the only class with more NFL players than those 2 is the JUCO class from '17.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 12-17-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'll add this - our last class that was ranked 36th - 2014 - gave us 6 NFL players; Gerri Green, JT Gray, Logan Cooke, Elgton Jenkins, Braxton Hoyett, Deion Calhoun, a 1000+ yard RB (Aeris Williams), and the SEC's all time leading QB for rushing yards (Fitzgerald).
    Our lowest ranked class over the past decade - 2011 (41) - gave us 5 NFL Players Dak Prescott, Benardrick McKinney, Darrius Slay, Taveze Calhoun, & Preston Smith.

I think the only class with more NFL players than those 2 is the JUCO class from '17.
    Dang man that's incredible! Good post!

vCash
    Great post! Thanks! I know how this moment is so incredible for these kids and their families!

vCash
    Thanks for this. I?ve come to this board for a long time to read and stay up to speed. Me and along with so many others have come to realize that we have the worst fan base in America. The worst. I was very pleased with this recruiting class. The Hampton kid from Amory will be a great player before it?s all said and done.

vCash
    Hail State!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    Thanks for this. I?ve come to this board for a long time to read and stay up to speed. Me and along with so many others have come to realize that we have the worst fan base in America. The worst. I was very pleased with this recruiting class. The Hampton kid from Amory will be a great player before it?s all said and done.
    Our fans don't even approach the worst.

vCash
    Pretty damn close.

vCash
    True!

vCash
    Pretty damn close.
    We don't have a terrible fan base - not even close (come live amongst UGA fans like me and you can see worse). For the most part State fans are pretty rational by comparison. However, too many people think that the success of the Mullen era meant that we would outgrow our challenges and disadvantages - and we haven't. We will always be one of the toughest places to win in the SEC, and will always ebb and flow with OM. Frankly, the only way I think either us or OM could change our fate in football would be by combining programs - and that ain't ever gonna happen.

vCash
    We don't have a terrible fan base - not even close (come live amongst UGA fans like me and you can see worse). For the most part State fans are pretty rational by comparison. However, too many people think that the success of the Mullen era meant that we would outgrow our challenges and disadvantages - and we haven't. We will always be one of the toughest places to win in the SEC, and will always ebb and flow with OM. Frankly, the only way I think either us or OM could change our fate in football would be by combining programs - and that ain't ever gonna happen.
    Agreed. Good points!

vCash
    If anything our fans are too "rational" to the point where they run the program down.

And outstanding post William Techumseh Sherman.

vCash
    HAIL STATE! Rep Given
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Our fans don't even approach the worst.
    This needed to be said !!! ... We have great fans but some folks on message boards are confusing a few posters with the entire fanbase ... When they post on here stating we have the worst fans they are really just pointing the finger at themselves
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Negative sir. Did you miss the point where I said I was very pleased with this recruiting class? Which that would put me in the minority of the fan base.

vCash
    Mississippi State is not really any harder to win at than many SEC schools. Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy either have it worse, pretty much the same or slightly better and that's about half the SEC. Plus, several of the so-called blue bloods of the SEC seem to be having trouble winning as well.

I say we have an advantage that so many SEC schools don't have and that's talent close by that we can fill the roster much quicker. If this staff can build a good relationship HS coaches it will pay huge dividends in finding these guys and getting on them early.

I am extremely encouraged that Leach and staff got the CB from Amory so quickly. To me that is an indicator that the relationships are already starting and this coaching staff has a plan. They may or may not have been blindside by the Daniels move but it's clear to me they have a plan.

vCash
    Negative sir. Did you miss the point where I said I was very pleased with this recruiting class? Which that would put me in the minority of the fan base.
    yes I saw that .... I also saw this -

OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Obviously, we would all like nothing but 4 and 5-stars like Bama gets. They get a bunch of can't miss prospects. But the evaluation is tougher when you are trying to discern who is better between the 743rd best player in the country versus the 913th best player in the country. Work ethic matters. Effort matters. Coaching and development matter. Fit matters. Growth matters.

We have done well with late throw-ins. Taveze Calhoun and Elgton Jenkins for example. I don't know who will be a bust, but I assure you someone in this class will be a bust. I don't know who will overachieve and surprise us, but I assure you someone in this class will. We have a signing class now, and our job is to coach them up, develop them, and go win games. Let's go get it.