Page 28 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Yeah - but we don't push kids to the portal - and we still have the 85 number to deal with. If you bring in 32 kids in a year, that can hamstring you for the following year. It also go against who we are - a developmental program that can be successful at a high level if we recruit the right type of kid that can be an NFL player with development and time.
    I hate this thought process! No, offense! I cringed every time I heard a Mullen staffer say this, I feel like it is such a easy way to settle and not push ourselves to higher heights. You would NEVER hear a top tier program talk about being a "developmental program" that would be so insulting to the Saban's of the world. It puts us in the group of "we can never get guys in here that are just ready to play day 1. " I think its fine to tell recruits that we will be the best program at developing you. But, to label us a "developmental program" from this standpoint needs to stop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think it helps a lot.
    I'm interested to see what we do with those extra spots. I think this will allow us to take some more WR's and DB's for sure. At least that's what I would do if I were in their shoes barring someone that's basically instant impact at another position. And when I say more I mean 1-2 more WR's and DB's than we originally planned. Which would still leave us three spots for another OL prospect and transfers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Helps us on numbers but will hurt on quality.
    This would only help us if the rules weren't changing for the elites. In other words, MORE TALENT HOARDED BY THE ELITES. Not to mention more talent getting washed out by them. College football isn't about to make changes that benefit non elite programs, that's counterintuitive to tv revenue.

vCash
    I think it helps us get more of those kids that would play for us but sign with Bama. I for one look at this as another juco. Kid signs with UGA, by sophomore year barely sees the field we can now offer him. He comes in with the benefit of having 2 years in a college weight program

vCash
    Impact here is to be determined - so far the portal has worked to our advantage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I think it helps us get more of those kids that would play for us but sign with Bama. I for one look at this as another juco. Kid signs with UGA, by sophomore year barely sees the field we can now offer him. He comes in with the benefit of having 2 years in a college weight program
    Exactly. And it makes our recruiting ranking even more worthless. We added two former four star Army All Americans in the off-season through the portal alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    This would only help us if the rules weren't changing for the elites. In other words, MORE TALENT HOARDED BY THE ELITES. Not to mention more talent getting washed out by them. College football isn't about to make changes that benefit non elite programs, that's counterintuitive to tv revenue.
    This is the bottom line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    A few things

1. Comparing this recruiting class to Croom is just laughable. We basically have 16 kids committed. Out of those 16, 14 have either multiple SEC &/or at least 5 P5 offers. Let's stop with the hyperbole.

2. We are in a little bit of a lull in recruiting right now but that happens every single year during the season. Look back at the last 5 recruiting classes we've never had many commits happen during the season. '21 - 2 '20 - 1 '19 - 3 '18 - 3 '17 - 0.

3. This class isn't bad. What this class lacks is a headliner. We don't have crown jewel where we can beat our chest & say that's our guy. Will we get 1 by signing day who knows but that's what's missing in this class. It has several SEC caliber players in it.

4. Finally stars matter they always have & always will. It is somewhat a chicken & egg thing. Does a kid get stars based off his offers or does the kid get offers based off his stars? If Saban, Dabo, Kirby, & others are offering you then you should be rated high. They can get the best of the best in the country & they're after you so I'm fine with the "Bama Bump". If anyone has earned that it's Saban. The problem is after the top 100-200 or so kids it's all subjective & personal opinion. That's why the top rated kids are all pretty much the same across the board on every site but then the rest can vary so much based off which site likes which kid more.
    Wow a rational, well thought out post!

Rep!

vCash
    I have seen a lot more no stars pan out than I have sure fire 5 stars. Just my personal experience. We have ruined these kids with our obsession with this. The RB from Germantown has already made a business decision is what the word is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I have seen a lot more no stars pan out than I have sure fire 5 stars. Just my personal experience. We have ruined these kids with our obsession with this. The RB from Germantown has already made a business decision is what the word is
    To be fair there are infinitely more no stars than 5. I think something like 30% of 5 stars go in the first 2 rounds of the draft which is insane.

vCash
    I have seen a lot more no stars pan out than I have sure fire 5 stars.
    Well there's thousands of no stars each year and only about 30 5 stars. Of course, there's going to be more that pan out because the pool you're choosing from is bigger. If you crunch the numbers, the % of 5 stars that pan out would be much higher.

vCash
    Well to be fair - usually there are only about 20-25 five stars nationally every year, and roughly 500-1000 kids with 3 stars or less that sign with P5 programs. The fact 20 3 stars pan out better than 10 of the five stars isn't really moving the needle.

Are we good with the kid from MRA? I know he visited the bears this past weekend according to twitter, I'm just assuming he is enjoying the process.

vCash
    What kind of logic is this?? Of course. There are 25/50 five stars depending on site. Of course there are going to be more low stars pan out. You're a smart guy. You can surely do the math. Just like the nfl draft. More 3 stars are seated than anything. Makes sense. But a huge percentage of nfl first rounders are 5 stars then 4 etc. there is a correlation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Well to be fair - usually there are only about 20-25 five stars nationally every year, and roughly 500-1000 kids with 3 stars or less that sign with P5 programs. The fact 20 3 stars pan out better than 10 of the five stars isn't really moving the needle.

Are we good with the kid from MRA? I know he visited the bears this past weekend according to twitter, I'm just assuming he is enjoying the process.
    It's a hell of a lot closer on Blanton than people want to make you believe.....

vCash
    Also, can we read anything on Joheim Otis being on campus as much as he’s been?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It's a hell of a lot closer on Blanton than people want to make you believe.....
    It doesn?t matter. Again, the white flag has been raised on the football program. The administration doesn?t care and the money boosters (the few we have) don?t care. It?s all about baseball now. Football recruiting no longer matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    It doesn?t matter. Again, the white flag has been raised on the football program. The administration doesn?t care and the money boosters (the few we have) don?t care. It?s all about baseball now. Football recruiting no longer matters.
    The boosters we have still care. And this one is on the staff not the boosters should we have an epic fail.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    The boosters we have still care. And this one is on the staff not the boosters should we have an epic fail.
    Truth! This should've been closed out back in January or February.

vCash
    Correct. The staff slow played him early and now it could potentially bite us in the ass. This was an easy layup that we've completely botched.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    That is Unbelievable. The program needs a win this weekend and a Blanton commitment in the worst way