Page 22 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Good info! So, do you have a prediction?
    I'm not an insider by any means, so this is just guessing, but I predict we get Russell, Moss, and one of Harris or Williams. I lean towards Williams because I just don't see him going to FSU, but maybe I'm wrong. We'd of course take all four of them if they wanted to come.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Thinking about LBs:

Stone Blanton just flat out can play as a true spread defender at LB. I coached out west for a while, and his film is eerily reminiscent of a great one to come out of UNM - a safety in HS who was about his size by the name of Brian Urlacher. Don?t laugh....that guy had the range, power, and speed, but was simply overlooked because he was playing out of position in HS. Stone is legit. I do wish he was about an 1-2 inch taller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'm not an insider by any means, so this is just guessing, but I predict we get Russell, Moss, and one of Harris or Williams. I lean towards Williams because I just don't see him going to FSU, but maybe I'm wrong. We'd of course take all four of them if they wanted to come.
    I am going to hang my hat on your peg for now. lol

I'd rather be an optimist than a pessimist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    Thinking about LBs:

Stone Blanton just flat out can play as a true spread defender at LB. I coached out west for a while, and his film is eerily reminiscent of a great one to come out of UNM - a safety in HS who was about his size by the name of Brian Urlacher. Don?t laugh....that guy had the range, power, and speed, but was simply overlooked because he was playing out of position in HS. Stone is legit. I do wish he was about an 1-2 inch taller
    Is he going to sign with us? if so, do we think we have a round about date?

vCash
    Agree..step further I think we land all 4

vCash
    Hey Ari, any thoughts about Otis visiting State and Ole Miss? Just enjoying the process or could State have a shot?

vCash
    Our DL recruiting is weird as hell.

vCash
    Our recruiting appears to have reached a completely new level of apathy
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yeah this is trash. Incoming ?be patient? posts?

Are we going to land any 4 stars this year? And real 4 stars, not the they?d be 4 stars if not committed to us guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not looking great. Need some good news soon

vCash

It's a combo of several things

We won the NC in baseball so a lot of focus has been on baseball. Also, the football program has kind of been a crap show since Mullen left, plus the constant pre-season lowballing of the program by the media, plus our inability to ever close on a recruit...I think a lot of people are just over it. Combine that with the NIL stuff I think most people (including me) think it doesn't really even seem like amateur players represeting their college/university anymore.

vCash
    Ari said to be patient, but we have fallen to 29 just two slots ahead of Vandy, ( even though they have a lower avg. per player but more commits) of all teams. Six programs ahead of us have more commits but a lower average. Paul's article that we have 12 prospects on our board with 10 open slots along with hopes of flipping about 4 guys from UM, FSU, and Oregon is not very comforting either. Some of our players targets mentioned lately are not even ranked. Add NIL to this and we may have a mess brewing although I hope there are things that we don't know about to bring better results. Hail State, but very concerned at this point!

vCash
    You all do realize we have been in a dead period right??? And this weekend is a special invite only camp.. this staff isn't lazy but it's JULY, and previously we had recruited well in the summer then couldn't hold on to recruits in DEC. Let's take a breath here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We won the NC in baseball so a lot of focus has been on baseball. Also, the football program has kind of been a crap show since Mullen left, plus the constant pre-season lowballing of the program by the media, plus our inability to ever close on a recruit...I think a lot of people are just over it. Combine that with the NIL stuff I think most people (including me) think it doesn't really even seem like amateur players represeting their college/university anymore.
    I am kinda in the same bout. But, it begs the question. Do we know that our staff is pushing? Mullen got the rap as a lazy recruiter, is our staff acting in the same manner?

vCash
    As others have said, IT'S JULY. Whether good or bad a lot of these kids like to play the game and get caught up in who can show them the most love on social media or they get caught up and commit on emotion while they're on a visit(see Trevion Williams). If our offense comes out and shows improvement over last year and Arnett does what he does then we'll be just fine on the recruiting front.

You also have to remember, and I've said it since the day he was hired, Leach HATES recruiting. It's just a fact. He wants to recruit one position and one position only, QB. He's going to let the on field results and his assts. do all the recruiting. He's not going to be Dabo, Kiffin, or Sark. He's weird and he's not everyone's cup of tea. I think we had some who thought that because his YouTube clips are all over the place and he runs the Air Raid that kids were just going to gravitate to him. But hell, every coach runs the spread today and most of these kids don't give a rats ass about marriage advice, mascots, student loans, or whatever the hell he happens to be talking about that day. The bottom line is that if we win and put some impressive numbers up this fall then we'll have a class that sits around 20-25. If we don't our class will be around 35-40.

vCash
    I'm glad we've established what month it is. In two days, it'll be August.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I am kinda in the same bout. But, it begs the question. Do we know that our staff is pushing? Mullen got the rap as a lazy recruiter, is our staff acting in the same manner?
    The difference is that Dan was here 24/7. He might be lazy, but he would meet everyone. Leach isn't always going to do that because he's going to be in Key West from January-March and again April-June and will fly back for NSD or any big camp we might have.

vCash
    I'm glad we've established what month it is. In two days, it'll be August.
    And a month after that will be September, when recruits will actually see the offense against an opponent, i.e. the only thing Leach cares about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    And a month after that will be September, when recruits will actually see the offense against an opponent, i.e. the only thing Leach cares about.
    Lol I'm just being a smart ass.

Point is, yes it's still very early. But what's concerning is that we haven't historically done that great the closer we get to signing day. We usually do the bulk of the work in the summer months, and hope, pray, scratch, and claw to keep them in the boat in December. We're going to have to do a good bit of that this year. Can we do it? Sure. We closed pretty good last February. But we historically haven't done it. That's Ole Miss's MO. We need to get a guy like Stone Blanton in the boat soon to generate some momentum heading into the season.

vCash
    Lol I'm just being a smart ass.

Point is, yes it's still very early. But what's concerning is that we haven't historically done that great the closer we get to signing day. We usually do the bulk of the work in the summer months, and hope, pray, scratch, and claw to keep them in the boat in December. We're going to have to do a good bit of that this year. Can we do it? Sure. We closed pretty good last February. But we historically haven't done it. That's Ole Miss's MO. We need to get a guy like Stone Blanton in the boat soon to generate some momentum heading into the season.
    Agree on that. Stone needs to go ahead and get in the boat now. I understand wanting to be recruited, but at a certain point you know where you're going to go and you need to commit and start helping out with the rest of the class. Stone has been at that point for about 4 months.