Page 29 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    It doesn?t matter. Again, the white flag has been raised on the football program. The administration doesn?t care and the money boosters (the few we have) don?t care. It?s all about baseball now. Football recruiting no longer matters.
    Good thing he is a baseball recruit.**

vCash
    Yeah but Blanton has been very open saying that football is first because football is what is giving him scholarship money. So don’t just lean on baseball being the pull. I think the football coaches may have relaxed too much with him too early just thinking baseball had him, hope he sticks with us but I won’t be surprised at all to see him in blue and red.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Truth! This should've been closed out back in January or February.
    The more stuff I hear about this staff, the more I think they just wanna coast and be comfortable. I'm sure the pro-Leach crowd will start touting "Leach likes to get the under the radar kids. He does more with less. Etc."

It should be required reading for everyone to go read the article from a few years ago about Leach and his QBs. It might be a pay article on the Athletic now, but it basically says there's very little teaching about his offensive system and that its one of the smallest playbooks they'd ever seen. You basically have to teach yourself how to run an offense and call plays as the QB. So its no wonder that some highly rated recruits, like Sawyer, have a hard time picking up this offense because its not really one where you are going to get taught anything.

But back to recruiting. I'm so ready for us to get a HC and staff that absolutely wants to kill it on the recruiting trail and not just half-ass things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    The more stuff I hear about this staff, the more I think they just wanna coast and be comfortable. I'm sure the pro-Leach crowd will start touting "Leach likes to get the under the radar kids. He does more with less. Etc."

It should be required reading for everyone to go read the article from a few years ago about Leach and his QBs. It might be a pay article on the Athletic now, but it basically says there's very little teaching about his offensive system and that its one of the smallest playbooks they'd ever seen. You basically have to teach yourself how to run an offense and call plays as the QB. So its no wonder that some highly rated recruits, like Sawyer, have a hard time picking up this offense because its not really one where you are going to get taught anything.

But back to recruiting. I'm so ready for us to get a HC and staff that absolutely wants to kill it on the recruiting trail and not just half-ass things.
    We had one. His name was jomo. Worked his ass off recruiting. Meant very little. And he couldn't coach either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We had one. His name was jomo. Worked his ass off recruiting. Meant very little. And he couldn't coach either.
    Jomo could recruit. That was his only knack as our HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Jomo could recruit. That was his only knack as our HC.
    If you went by rankings he wasn't that good.... he had a passion for it and still couldn't close the deal...

vCash
    If you went by rankings he wasn't that good.... he had a passion for it and still couldn't close the deal...
    Yeah he closed the deal on several players we wouldn't have had otherwise. Marks, Shrader and Cross immediately come to mind.

vCash
    So are we expecting any commits this weekend?

vCash
    This exactly. Again. Until the university and boosters actually back recruiting it doesn?t matter who we put in as HC the recruiting results will be the same. It?s not that hard to understand. We don?t have the booster support like most SEC programs do in recruiting. We aren?t organized with it at all. We will continually get beat 75+% of the time until that change. But it won?t. It hasn?t in the past 30 years. Additionally, we have a compliance office that is more concerned with ?atta?boys? from the NCAA and SEC than we are with winning these battles and playing to the field standard. Also, most of our fans support this approach. They would rather take the moral high ground and lose (then complain about it) than get in the mud with everyone else and win. It is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This exactly. Again. Until the university and boosters actually back recruiting it doesn?t matter who we put in as HC the recruiting results will be the same. It?s not that hard to understand. We don?t have the booster support like most SEC programs do in recruiting. We aren?t organized with it at all. We will continually get beat 75+% of the time until that change. But it won?t. It hasn?t in the past 30 years. Additionally, we have a compliance office that is more concerned with ?atta?boys? from the NCAA and SEC than we are with winning these battles and playing to the field standard. Also, most of our fans support this approach. They would rather take the moral high ground and lose (then complain about it) than get in the mud with everyone else and win. It is what it is.
    I blame a lot of this on our history with the NCAA. They have smacked us around since Bob Tyler for trying to play the game. It's just like the way we get hosed by SEC refs - the cards are stacked against us.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Yeah he closed the deal on several players we wouldn't have had otherwise. Marks, Shrader and Cross immediately come to mind.
    I meant his ranking was basically where we had been in the past. Not much changed. The head coaches effort went up, but the net result was basically the same. And yes I agree we wouldn't have gotten those 3....

vCash
    I think a win and some positive momentum is exactly what we need to firm up Blanton.

I think both things happen.

vCash
    That was a good drive. Just gotta finish. That would have been a time to check to a screen instead of a handoff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    That was a good drive. Just gotta finish. That would have been a time to check to a screen instead of a handoff
    I met Blanton in the sideline today. He seemed like a nice kid. Big fella.

vCash
    I hope you gave him a $100 hand shake……

Only slightly kidding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I hope you gave him a $100 hand shake……

Only slightly kidding
    Never! We have our cigarillo boys to handle that kind of big money.**

vCash
    Any news yet? Normally people set announcement dates within a week of an official visit.

vCash
    This thread shouldn?t be so quiet after a fairly big recruiting weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    This thread shouldn?t be so quiet after a fairly big recruiting weekend.
    We lost that can make a kid second guess.

vCash
    As of right now, we dont have a committed player that could come in and contribute in a year or two. Seems like a class of just adding depth. Hope we plan on hitting the transfer portal hard