Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2051

Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Staying at LSU for now
    Per my tiger coworkers smith wouldnt have been academically eligible to transfer. He will have to work hard at LSU this spring to pull those grades up.

vCash
    Saw elsewhere that this guy has committed - MS #1 OT Malik Ellis commits. I don't know anything about him except he's reported to be 6'-4" 245 lbs ... not bad credentials but he would need to gain some weight
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    4 star - 6' 5" 245lb Jr. #1 rated OL in the state with several SEC offers and other P5 offers. Another year to grow and develop in HS since he is only a Jr. This is exactly the kind of player that is needed to build for the future. Sure, 245lbs is a little light for an OL in the SEC but he won't be expected to start next year. Hell, he will still be in High School for another year. He may even take a year or two once he gets to Starkville before he works his through the depth chart but the guy looks to have what it takes to be a multi-year starter for us and the potential to move on up to the next level if he puts in the work.

I like it that he is from the same HS as Charles Cross. This is a really nice pick up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    4 star - 6' 5" 245lb Jr. #1 rated OL in the state with several SEC offers and other P5 offers. Another year to grow and develop in HS since he is only a Jr. This is exactly the kind of player that is needed to build for the future. Sure, 245lbs is a little light for an OL in the SEC but he won't be expected to start next year. Hell, he will still be in High School for another year. He may even take a year or two once he gets to Starkville before he works his through the depth chart but the guy looks to have what it takes to be a multi-year starter for us and the potential to move on up to the next level if he puts in the work.

I like it that he is from the same HS as Charles Cross. This is a really nice pick up.
    He is a nice pickup; He won't help right away, but give him two years - and he looks the part of a 3 year starter.

vCash
    Just picked up FSU transfer Cornerback - Hunter Washington. Redshirted in '21. Ranked ESPN top 300 (#220) in his class.

vCash
    Hunter is a bit undersized at 5’ 11 188lbs but he should help for sure. Offers From Bama, LSU, Ohio ST, Peen St, OK and many others out of HS. Not sure what made him leave FSU but he could definitely help. He has four years of eligibility left.

vCash
    Hunter is a bit undersized at 5’ 11 188lbs but he should help for sure. Offers From Bama, LSU, Ohio ST, Peen St, OK and many others out of HS. Not sure what made him leave FSU but he could definitely help. He has four years of eligibility left.
    5'11 188lbs seems like a typical CB size to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    5'11 188lbs seems like a typical CB size to me
    Look at other cb's of late on our roster. 6' 1" is closer to normal for us. I don't know much about other teams.

Currently on Mississippi State's roster there are well over a dozen DB's listed and only two are under 6 foot and none of them are safeties. The two under 6 feet are not on the depth chart.

Our two deep - Emerson - 6 2" Nicholson 6 3" Forbes 6 1" and Banks 6 0"

5' 11" is undersized in today's world but only slightly but 188lbs is not light. There are lots of 6' 4" WR those guys have to cover but that doesn't prohibit him from being good. In Hunter's HS write up it did mention he was a good tackler and physical for a smaller corner.

For Mississippi State my opinion is that it is even more important because I say for the 3-3-5 defensive style, your DB's must be able to tackle well. They are asked to do a lot of run support with 5 DB's on the field at all times.

vCash
    He's not undersized, he's the typical db size in college and nfl. Agility is more important than size at db.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    He's not undersized, he's the typical db size in college and nfl. Agility is more important than size at db.
    WE can agree to disagree. You are correct that agility is more important and that is a must have way more than the height and length (I don't know his arm reach). WR's are getting bigger and bigger these days and the future of CB's is taller if not bigger.

I look at the draft at the top 20 CB's coming out in the draft this year, 4 are 6'2 " and up and 4 are 5" 11" and under with 12 in the sweet spot of 6' 0" to 6" 1". Three of the four smaller ones are 5' 11" just like him and one dude is 5' 8" and but i doubt you see him playing out wide vs big WR's. So yes, he is a bit undersized height wise but not weight and thickness. He does tackle well.

When you consider we play 5 DB's on every snap, run support is very import. I agree he is not small for that at 188lbs. That's pretty thick at 5' 11" for a DB and he is said to be a very good tackler. To say he is slightly undersized is an accurate statement but that doesn't mean he can't be good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Yeah, I was curious so I went through every NFL roster and found that there are 141 DB's in the NFL 5'11" or under. So I would say 5'11" is a very common size for a DB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah, I was curious so I went through every NFL roster and found that there are 141 DB's in the NFL 5'11" or under. So I would say 5'11" is a very common size for a DB.
    I am not looking at the current state of NFL CB's. Those guys came out of HS 5-10 or even more years ago. For the most part your top CB's out of HS are 6 foot or taller these days. There are some under 6 but not nearly as many as in years past.

if you look at what coming into the NFL now, they are taller and the higher rated CB's coming out of HS are taller as well. You will see the same trend with WR's as well. I am not saying the days of your smaller CB's & WR's are gone but there many more outside WR's getting bigger and bigger every year. There will always be a place for shorter players but to say that 5' 11'' is not shorter than the majority of your top prospects is wrong.

Both last years draft and this years draft around 80% of the top 20 CB were 6 foot and taller. The only guys under six foot drafted highly were barely under six foot for the most part. That makes him smaller if you want to be in that group. The days of all your CB's being 5' 10" are gone or you simply can't defend these 6' 4" WR's that are becoming more and more prevalent.

vCash
    I am not looking at the current state of NFL CB's. Those guys came out of HS 5-10 or even more years ago. For the most part your top CB's out of HS are 6 foot or taller these days. There are some under 6 but not nearly as many as in years past.

if you look at what coming into the NFL now, they are taller and the higher rated CB's coming out of HS are taller as well. You will see the same trend with WR's as well. I am not saying the days of your smaller CB's & WR's are gone but there many more outside WR's getting bigger and bigger every year. There will always be a place for shorter players but to say that 5' 11'' is not shorter than the majority of your top prospects is wrong.

Both last years draft and this years draft around 80% of the top 20 CB were 6 foot and taller. The only guys under six foot drafted highly were barely under six foot for the most part. That makes him smaller if you want to be in that group. The days of all your CB's being 5' 10" are gone or you simply can't defend these 6' 4" WR's that are becoming more and more prevalent.
    It may be trending that way but there are still quite a few DB 5'11" and under. 14 taken in last years draft. And yeah I agree it's headed that way but there's still a place(currently) for a small db with speed, agility and good ball skills. Our best corner this year, Forbes, is listed at 6'0" but if you've been around him, he ain't 6 foot. He's 5'11" at best. When he goes to the combine and they measure him barefoot next year, we'll see that.

vCash
    One or two inches of height doesn't always translate to more span and leaping ability either.

vCash
    Some of these smaller guys ( 5-11 ) have a great vertical jump and amazing hang time. This caliber of player can get in a receivers head real easy.

vCash

I agree with all you guys are saying

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Some of these smaller guys ( 5-11 ) have a great vertical jump and amazing hang time. This caliber of player can get in a receivers head real easy.
    I agree with all you guys are saying. 5' 11" is not that short for a CB but:

I am not the one that put that smaller tag on him, that is the talent evaluators for recruiting agencies where I read his evaluations.
    I don't want it lost that those same evaluators were still extremely high on him. They still ranked him as a four star even if he is slightly undersized according to their guidelines.

vCash

I am not the one that put that smaller tag on him, that is the talent evaluators for recruiting agencies where I read his evaluations.
    I don't want it lost that those same evaluators were still extremely high on him. They still ranked him as a four star even if he is slightly undersized according to their guidelines.
    Agreed

vCash

Yeah I think we're pretty much on the same page. Agree with what you're saying. And the trend is definitely going toward the longer taller cb.

vCash
    Comparing 5-11 to six foot is nitpicking of the highest order. The 5-11 guy may be much physically stronger, long armed, better leaper etc... just a better player.

Just ridiculous. Think about it. An inch or two of height really made no difference to me when play8ng basketball, football or wrestling.

I do realize there are scouts or media type who get lost in the minutiae.

You see this a lot with q bs. Just stupid crap where a drew brees type gets knocked because he is one inch shorter than some scout wants him to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Comparing 5-11 to six foot is nitpicking of the highest order. The 5-11 guy may be much physically stronger, long armed, better leaper etc... just a better player.

Just ridiculous. Think about it. An inch or two of height really made no difference to me when play8ng basketball, football or wrestling.

I do realize there are scouts or media type who get lost in the minutiae.

You see this a lot with q bs. Just stupid crap where a drew brees type gets knocked because he is one inch shorter than some scout wants him to be.
    Good post. Rep!!