was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboydawg View Post
    Ho..Lee.. Chitty chitty bang bang 👀👀

vCash
    Him and Hargrove in the same backfield??SPEED KILLS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Getting open, catching the ball, and absorbing the blow are a completely different animal in the SEC than they are in the MAIS. It's not even in the same atmosphere. Hell the CUSA will be an adjustment for him. It's great to ball out against PCS and Lamar but I don't see many alumni from those places playing on Saturdays. He'll take a minimum of two years to even get him up to speed and his body prepared for this level.
    I?m not advocating for signing Dalton, but this is just a stupid and lazy take. We have three other players committed from MAIS (Elam, Dakota Jordan, and Miller) yet nobody has said this about them. Dillon Jonson came from MAIS and played last year as a true freshman. Jon Banks came to MSU and excelled as a skinny true freshman from a small public school that didn?t play anywhere close to the competition level that MRA has played. We often sign public school players that play weaker competition than what MRA has faced and nobody ever mentions them absorbing blows, getting up to speed, etc. Jon Banks, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, and many more come to mind.

I think we can do better than Dalton. I think SEC ball is an adjustment for everyone. I think smaller school players do have a larger adjustment to make. But let?s not act like 1A, 2A, and 3A public players are playing in some tough league while MRA is playing flag football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I?m not advocating for signing Dalton, but this is just a stupid and lazy take. We have three other players committed from MAIS (Elam, Dakota Jordan, and Miller) yet nobody has said this about them. Dillon Jonson came from MAIS and played last year as a true freshman. Jon Banks came to MSU and excelled as a skinny true freshman from a small public school that didn?t play anywhere close to the competition level that MRA has played. We often sign public school players that play weaker competition than what MRA has faced and nobody ever mentions them absorbing blows, getting up to speed, etc. Jon Banks, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, and many more come to mind.

I think we can do better than Dalton. I think SEC ball is an adjustment for everyone. I think smaller school players do have a larger adjustment to make. But let?s not act like 1A, 2A, and 3A public players are playing in some tough league while MRA is playing flag football.
    Then stop advocating for why we need to offer him. you started by saying that you weren't for signing him and then gave all the reasons why we should. As I said 4 previous times, I'm not against giving the kid a PWO and letting him prove himself. All I'm saying is don't waste a scholarship on a kid who at most could contribute one year for you.

vCash
    Then stop advocating for why we need to offer him. you started by saying that you weren't for signing him and then gave all the reasons why we should. As I said 4 previous times, I'm not against giving the kid a PWO and letting him prove himself. All I'm saying is don't waste a scholarship on a kid who at most could contribute one year for you.
    He's not advocating for signing the kid, he's advocating against your logic for not signing the kid. Which is the same thing I said. If the kid is not good enough to play here, it is not for the reasons you stated (poor competition), it is bc he just isn't good enough to play here. The competition he has faced has been superior to the competition faced by just about everybody committed to us.

vCash
    Guys, let’s be real here. Is this kid a D1 athlete? Yes, is he a SEC athlete that can contribute like a D. Jordan, NO…. Jordan was being recruited 2 years ago. I am a public school kid myself, growing up in Pike County when Parklane Academy was a thing. We played them in fall ball, name the sport and we won just about every game. BTW we made the playoffs in baseball and football a grand total of 1 time in my 4 years of playing HS ball. Parklane won state championships 2 times in 2 different sports during that same stretch.

There are generational talents, such as J Banks and the kids mentioned above from small public schools as well as kids from small private schools. Hunter Renfrow I am looking at you, but the shear number of players in between those said players is way higher on average to not be exceptional.

Take my HS for instance we had 5 kids on my Hs football team my senior year to make a D1 roster and actually hit the field, 2 of them were later drafted into NFL and one MLB, he retired last year after over 10 years in MLB , not the system, the actual league. Again, neither baseball or football those same years made the playoffs. Parklane won a state title that very year, you know how many actually made a D1 roster, 0 zero.

I truly do not think that my example is an anomaly. This kid at MRA is a great player and will get a shot somewhere but you can’t tell me the level of co potion at MRA is the same for a school like pick a school, Brandon High or even a smaller school like Tylertown in the public school sector. If you think those are even comparable then you are proving my point. That generally speaking, in football for instance a 3A public school will produce just as many D1 athletes as a top level private school such as MRA.

Baseball is a different animal now, considering most kids on Prep and MRA and Parklane come from a family that spent over 2-5k a year in travel ball since the kid was 12 years old. Baseball is not comparable, but football most definitely is.

vCash
    Granted my above example is above of baseball and football being equal is a couple of decades old, but the message is the same that football wise it still holds true. Baseball is another animal and I for one am not a n advocate for year round travel ball for a kid baseball wise, due to injury, burnout etc…

But let’s not get lost in the weeds here, when I say D1 athlete that does not mean SEC D1 athlete. D1 has a HUGE span because even the kids at Alcorn are D1 athletes, but they are not on level with USM athletes and USM athletes are not on level with MSU, and MSU athletes are not entirely on level with Alabama…you see my point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    He's not advocating for signing the kid, he's advocating against your logic for not signing the kid. Which is the same thing I said. If the kid is not good enough to play here, it is not for the reasons you stated (poor competition), it is bc he just isn't good enough to play here. The competition he has faced has been superior to the competition faced by just about everybody committed to us.
    Exactly. I’m not sure Dalton is good enough to play SEC ball, and I think we can sign better players than him. But if I use competition as the reason then Steven Ridley couldn’t play at LSU (MAIS kid who was All-SEC over Brandon Bolden, Vic Ballard, Trent Richardson). And Ben Beckwith, Justin Malone, Dillon Johnson, Jon Banks, Cam Lawrence, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, Kaleb Eulls, Bernardrick McKinney Jerion Ealy, and many others couldn’t play either. Now admittedly it is easier for coaches to evaluate a guy at a 6A public school versus a 1A public school. But you can’t just refuse to sign Dicenzo Miller because he didn’t play good competition. It’s not his fault that Weir was small. If Jeffrey Simmons played at Rebul Academy in Learned, I would still want him on my team.
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 10-08-2021 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    If you're talking about the Davis Dalton kid at MRA he needs to be a last resort option or offer him a PWO spot. Getting open, catching the ball, and absorbing the blow are a completely different animal in the SEC than they are in the MAIS. It's not even in the same atmosphere. Hell the CUSA will be an adjustment for him. It's great to ball out against PCS and Lamar but I don't see many alumni from those places playing on Saturdays. He'll take a minimum of two years to even get him up to speed and his body prepared for this level

Also....everyone is complaining about our recruiting rankings but want us to go offer an MAIS kid with no P5 offers. I'm sure we'll really shoot up the rankings with that one. Go all in on Thomas and Pope. The days of offering a kid because gah lee gee his dad played here and Bob from Bogue Chitto knows his grandparents need to be long gone.
    I'm fine taking 1-2 players a year like Dalton. The SEC is a big jump from MAIS. It's also a big jump from 6A ball in Mississippi. With recruits I'm not too concerned if they aren't able to immediately help us because I don't expect that of any of them. That's not even the case for most incoming freshmen at Alabama and we shouldn't not take a player because of that otherwise our classes would be very small because they're all in the same boat as far as that. If he can get into a SEC program and work hard and get his body right by the time he is a sophomore or junior he could be a very productive player for us.

At the same time we shouldn't just run down a player because he is from MAIS and a MSU fan either. Sometimes players that end up somewhere they truly want to be play above their abilities. If he becomes Austin Williams 2.0 for us I would be very happy with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Exactly. I’m not sure Dalton is good enough to play SEC ball, and I think we can sign better players than him. But if I use competition as the reason then Steven Ridley couldn’t play at LSU (MAIS kid who was All-SEC over Brandon Bolden, Vic Ballard, Trent Richardson). And Ben Beckwith, Justin Malone, Dillon Johnson, Jon Banks, Cam Lawrence, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, Kaleb Eulls, Bernardrick McKinney Jerion Ealy, and many others couldn’t play either. Now admittedly it is easier for coaches to evaluate a guy at a 6A public school versus a 1A public school. But you can’t just refuse to sign Dicenzo Miller because he didn’t play good competition. It’s not his fault that Weir was small. If Jeffrey Simmons played at Rebul Academy in Learned, I would still want him on my team.
    Competition is so overblown when evaluating recruits. If a player can play he can play. Look at Greenville Christian. They are essentially an All-Star team from the Delta which is mostly small schools and they are able to compete and beat most of their competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Competition is so overblown when evaluating recruits. If a player can play he can play. Look at Greenville Christian. They are essentially an All-Star team from the Delta which is mostly small schools and they are able to compete and beat most of their competition.
    Yep. There are some kids playing on the D-Line at Brandon, or Pearl, or Germantown, or Gulfport that aren’t SEC caliber players. But they are facing much better competition than Chris Jones or Fletcher Cox faced. You should recruit the player, not the player’s competition. The irony is that people that want to discount Dalton simply because of competition are fine with offering Stone Blanton. And Blanton literally faces the same competition. That shows the stupidity of the argument.

vCash
    Stone Blanton is not the example you are wanting to use. He is a two sport guy that will play baseball probably faster than he will on football field. Plus look at his offers. While I agree with you saying no to judge the competition but you do have to take it into your reasoning when it comes to stats. But the Stone Blanton example does not help your argument. Baseball in MAIS is heads and shoulders better than MHSAA school. Not even comparable overall.

Everyone was on board with offering the WR a PWO and hope he eventually earns his scholarship, but to just give them out when we are clearly going after bigger fish currently is just not going to work. If that were the case we would have offered the RB from Starkville high a couple years ago early. If they are offered late it is because we missed on someone that is viewed as higher talent.

I honestly hope we get the kid and he can contribute, just do believe that they have others in mind first.

vCash
    Is Dayan Bilbo another High School phenom who isn't for the college game? I don't know much about him, other than he has crazy stats. I assume he's small or something, because he's not on anyone's radar. Maybe like the kid out of East Central a few years ago?

vCash

Nothing in over a week??

At this point I?d take some ?interviews? done by Fancy on MSU prospects.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    At this point I?d take some ?interviews? done by Fancy on MSU prospects.
    There's just rarely any commits during the season. We have a chance to really close well. It's just contingent on getting it done. The pieces & relationships are there for the taking. Get it done.

vCash
    I hear we need to survive Blanton's trip to the bears this weekend - if we do, I hear we can hold on to him.

vCash
    Trevion Williams from Crystal Springs just decommitted from FSU.

We are in this one I?m told.

vCash
    I've also seen that we are in it with a DB transfer Kerry Martin from West Virginia.

Was a mid tier 3 star out of high school.

vCash
    His host is Plumlee. Rebel fans feel real good about a commitment. All their coaches are regularly in contact with him...the only hesitation is his love for MSU baseball.