Page 20 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by West Houston Dog View Post
    No

vCash
    Anyone got any recruiting news that they can share, who were are strong on, how the class could end up, etc.? Only info I get is from here or the free list from Genes Page. Looks like we have 10 open slots if the 15 stick, but Gene only shows us "warm" on 15 players from his "targets" & "interested" lists combined with hopes to flip the big Oregon tackle commit & the UM receiver (kind of a limited look - JMO). How will the DB that just committed be ranked? I know it's a long way until Dec. & NIL may have muddied the water more but update would be interesting/appreciated. Ari? IYOK? Thanks and Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Anyone got any recruiting news that they can share, who were are strong on, how the class could end up, etc.? Only info I get is from here or the free list from Genes Page. Looks like we have 10 open slots if the 15 stick, but Gene only shows us "warm" on 15 players from his "targets" & "interested" lists combined with hopes to flip the big Oregon tackle commit & the UM receiver (kind of a limited look - JMO). How will the DB that just committed be ranked? I know it's a long way until Dec. & NIL may have muddied the water more but update would be interesting/appreciated. Ari? IYOK? Thanks and Hail State!
    We are fighting hard to reel Trevion Williams back this way. I don't know much else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    The DB ( Nicholson ) is a steal for us IF we can hold on to him... he will be one of the highest ranked juco players in the state before it’s over
    And there is still plenty of time till December when it comes to both Williams and Harris .. everyone just be a little patient
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 07-15-2021 at 05:29 PM.

vCash
    We slumping

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The DB ( Nicholson ) is a steal for us IF we can hold on to him... he will be one of the highest ranked juco players in the state before it’s over
    And there is still plenty of time till December when it comes to both Williams and Harris .. everyone just be a little patient
    I think if we can just maintain that 20-30 class ranking we usually have with Leach?s offense fully installed and our typical tough defense we will be fine with an outside shot at finishing in the top 15 ranking once in a while. With the current college system that?s really the best we can hope for.

vCash
    The DB ( Nicholson ) is a steal for us IF we can hold on to him... he will be one of the highest ranked juco players in the state before it?s over
    maybe we should offer him $10K for an autograph in late December ... Said autograph should be on an official LOI.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think if we can just maintain that 20-30 class ranking we usually have with Leach?s offense fully installed and our typical tough defense we will be fine with an outside shot at finishing in the top 15 ranking once in a while. With the current college system that?s really the best we can hope for.
    We will never have a top 15 ranked class going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Not unless we make some major changes in the future. Outside of Vandy, we have the least committed recruiting system in the SEC. You have to play dirty to recruit that high. And we're not willing to do that (at least at the level others are). We pay players, make no mistake about it, but our network isn't on the same level as others, including the bunch up the road. Which is why they'll continue to out recruit us until something changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Not unless we make some major changes in the future. Outside of Vandy, we have the least committed recruiting system in the SEC. You have to play dirty to recruit that high. And we're not willing to do that (at least at the level others are). We pay players, make no mistake about it, but our network isn't on the same level as others, including the bunch up the road. Which is why they'll continue to out recruit us until something changes.
    We have to add about $10-$20 million per year in revenue/intake to even think about getting more competitive recruiting wise. Bunch of folks don't want to hear it though. They think we should be able to do the most with the least and still win 7-10 games every single year no questions asked.

We need a hell of a lot more intake to get the output we desire, specifically in recruiting.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    When have we had 1 going back?

vCash
    I was referring to on the field results not recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    When have we had 1 going back?
    Don't recall one.

vCash
    I understand your point here, but we have a better network than most realize. Don't think we are just Ho hum ol state. We ain't some of the big boys but we aren't as bad as you are making it out to be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I understand your point here, but we have a better network than most realize. Don't think we are just Ho hum ol state. We ain't some of the big boys but we aren't as bad as you are making it out to be
    I mean we're better than Tulsa or Georgia Tech, but compared to the teams we actually compete against (on the field and for recruits) we're pretty far behind.

vCash
    Yep, that is my opinion. I think NIL (which is essentially making it legal for boosters to buy recruits and pay existing players to keep them happy) is not going to be good for us at all. We just don't network at the level of most of the rest of the SEC. OM, who has specialized in buying recruits for years, should flourish in this environment. They have plenty of boosters who are much more interested in bragging about buying a recruit than they are about actually winning a game on the field. I had already started to lose my enthusiasm for college football over the lack of competitiveness due to the glut of scholarships that allow the elite to gobble up all the top end talent. The NIL is just going to make it even worse as it will primarily benefit the largest and most 'zealous' fanbases. Relatively speaking, the only sport where we would fall into the 'large and zealous' category would be baseball. I realize that a lot of recruits have been being bought for years but its about to go to another level without any worry about getting your program slapped by the NCAA.

vCash
    Ratings 18-30 are all about the same when it comes to the overall talent top to bottom in the classes.
    Recruit for needs.
    Land 2 or 3 high school kids that are ready and can contribute day one
    Out of the 3 and 4 star high school kids hope you have more hits than misses.
    Have a staff that can develop talent
    Mix in a few impact juco guys
    And get a couple of impact transfers
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 07-18-2021 at 08:25 AM.

vCash
    Ratings 18-30 are all about the same when it comes to the overall talent top to bottom in the classes.
    Recruit for needs.
    Land 2 or 3 high school kids that are ready and can contribute day one
    Out of the 3 and 4 star high school kids hope you have more hits than misses.
    Have a staff that can develop talent
    Mix in a few impact juco guys
    And get a couple of impact transfers
    Meanwhile, Alabama is landing sure fire players that a coach with minimal ability can develop and lots of them. Same with Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, USC, LSU, etc.

It gets old. The wuhan flu is going to end up being the worst thing to happen to college football. It cost college football 40%(if not more) of its audience. Me included. Not until the nfl starts its own farm league system will I watch again and we all know that will never happen. The product is broken and is beyond repair.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriarsPoint View Post
    Meanwhile, Alabama is landing sure fire players that a coach with minimal ability can develop and lots of them. Same with Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, USC, LSU, etc.

It gets old. The wuhan flu is going to end up being the worst thing to happen to college football. It cost college football 40%(if not more) of its audience. Me included. Not until the nfl starts its own farm league system will I watch again and we all know that will never happen. The product is broken and is beyond repair.
    If you think 40% or more of college football fans are done with college football after not being able to go in person I have some prime beach property in Artesia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yep, that is my opinion. I think NIL (which is essentially making it legal for boosters to buy recruits and pay existing players to keep them happy) is not going to be good for us at all. We just don't network at the level of most of the rest of the SEC. OM, who has specialized in buying recruits for years, should flourish in this environment. They have plenty of boosters who are much more interested in bragging about buying a recruit than they are about actually winning a game on the field. I had already started to lose my enthusiasm for college football over the lack of competitiveness due to the glut of scholarships that allow the elite to gobble up all the top end talent. The NIL is just going to make it even worse as it will primarily benefit the largest and most 'zealous' fanbases. Relatively speaking, the only sport where we would fall into the 'large and zealous' category would be baseball. I realize that a lot of recruits have been being bought for years but its about to go to another level without any worry about getting your program slapped by the NCAA.
    I think we'll start though because a big reason why we haven't done that is MSU cuts off any "Network" and runs and turns it into the NCAA and we get sanctions. That and we have a lot of take the high road boosters who weren't willing to get involved because it was illegal. Well, it's not now.

We also haven't had a lot of football coaches that were willing or knew how to recruit at a high level like Dan and that has hurt us as well.

To me it goes both ways- yes they (other teams) will be able to pay players but now so are we. Part of the problem with the old system was it was so subjective and not consistent with even their own rules and teams could just sue their way out of it. It was basically like operating under two different systems. That won't be the case now.