Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Las Vegas bowl cancelled

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Flu season looks to light this year.**
    Flu is indeed light this year. It could be that masks are helping, or not much human interaction is responsible. Most people have a bunch of masks now, so after Covid is gone it could be that we'll be wearing masks for the flu for a while.

vCash
    Yea flu is almost nonexistent. Doctor who is 70 told me it's the least flu he's ever seen by this time of year

vCash
    Over 218,000 new cases and 2,900 deaths today... we're ****in' up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    You are aware of the difference between mitigating and avoiding? Why does it have to be all or nothing. i don't get the "either it stops it cold or it's useless" point of view. I will never get that view in a million years.
    I don't get why people always engage in straw men. Nothing I said has anything to do with an all or nothing approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Like it or not there IS a moral component to this. We have a moral duty to our fellow man to do our best not to let our actions endanger other's lives. That is the basis of all peaceful civilization.
    AGain, you can flagellate yourself in the streets if you'd like. But we don't have a pandemic because people aren't doing that. We have a pandemic because of there is a novel coronavirus that's very contagious and pretty bad. It was going to be bad no matter what we did. It's going to be worse because we spent the spring and parts of the summer with empty hospitals while asking people to make sacrifices that aren't sustainable. We'd be in much better shape if we had told people to live more or less normally but to wear masks when near people in public and waited until cold and flu season to ask people to lock it down for a couple of weeks to let the hospitals get some breathing room. But that's not going to happen now because we have a state health officer that is apparently unaware that cold and flu season comes every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't get why people always engage in straw men. Nothing I said has anything to do with an all or nothing approach.

AGain, you can flagellate yourself in the streets if you'd like. But we don't have a pandemic because people aren't doing that. We have a pandemic because of there is a novel coronavirus that's very contagious and pretty bad. It was going to be bad no matter what we did. It's going to be worse because we spent the spring and parts of the summer with empty hospitals while asking people to make sacrifices that aren't sustainable. We'd be in much better shape if we had told people to live more or less normally but to wear masks when near people in public and waited until cold and flu season to ask people to lock it down for a couple of weeks to let the hospitals get some breathing room. But that's not going to happen now because we have a state health officer that is apparently unaware that cold and flu season comes every year.
    This is where it gets tricky because we have people in this state who for whatever reason(political, stubbornness, etc.) will not wear a mask no matter what. And these aren't healthy people either. It's obese people, older people, or people who have actual comorbidities. And then you have people like Robert Foster who is openly telling people to not wear their masks. Now I'm in the camp that it should be your choice whether you wear one or not, but if you're not going to wear one then don't A)complain when you get the virus or B) go into large public areas (grocery stores, restaurants, ballgames, etc.) where close contact is unavoidable and just straight up refuse to wear one.

I guess I say all that to say that some parts of the state haven't done a good job of controlling it, but at the same time it was unavoidable that we were going to have a flu season spike. Everyone has been saying that since March. We're in it now though so we have to do our best and live it with at this point. Heck, we might as well just steer into the skid and let it run it's course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is where it gets tricky because we have people in this state who for whatever reason(political, stubbornness, etc.) will not wear a mask no matter what. And these aren't healthy people either. It's obese people, older people, or people who have actual comorbidities. And then you have people like Robert Foster who is openly telling people to not wear their masks. Now I'm in the camp that it should be your choice whether you wear one or not, but if you're not going to wear one then don't A)complain when you get the virus or B) go into large public areas (grocery stores, restaurants, ballgames, etc.) where close contact is unavoidable and just straight up refuse to wear one.

I guess I say all that to say that some parts of the state haven't done a good job of controlling it, but at the same time it was unavoidable that we were going to have a flu season spike. Everyone has been saying that since March. We're in it now though so we have to do our best and live it with at this point. Heck, we might as well just steer into the skid and let it run it's course.
    There are always going to be people that stubbornly ignore basic behavior that would help them and/or their fellow citizens. Whatever policy you choose has to take some non-compliance as a given. That said, to the extent you can move the needle on that at all, the way to do it is to appeal to people's community spirit, not tell them they're killing grandma. When you make stupid mistakes and then condemn people for not following your recommendations, it has the opposite effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    There are always going to be people that stubbornly ignore basic behavior that would help them and/or their fellow citizens. Whatever policy you choose has to take some non-compliance as a given. That said, to the extent you can move the needle on that at all, the way to do it is to appeal to people's community spirit, not tell them they're killing grandma. When you make stupid mistakes and then condemn people for not following your recommendations, it has the opposite effect.
    Well and I think another thing that weighs in on this is that people were told at first it'll be two weeks and we'll be ok. And then it was another two weeks, and then two months. The goalposts have continually been moved so I understand why people are reluctant because in their eyes it's not helping. Another thing that doesn't help is that the CDC came out at first and said that masks didn't help just so they'd have enough for the front line workers.