Las Vegas bowl cancelled

vCash
    We'll be in Birmingham anyway
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We'll be in Birmingham anyway
    If the Bham Bowl happens. We had over 3,000 positive cases recorded yesterday in Alabama (we report Covid cases on a 1 day lag). 648 of those in Jefferson County, which is the county the city of Birmingham is in.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them cancel it in the coming weeks if that trend continues.

vCash
    If Dr. Dobbs has his way, there will not be any more games played by Mississippi teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    If Dr. Dobbs has his way, there will not be any more games played by Mississippi teams.
    We will be doing good to get these last two games in.

vCash
    Yeah well unfortunately for him in the SEC it just means more.

vCash
    If current trends continue all sports will be stopped again. It's the hospital stuff that will be the cause.

vCash
    How about let the kids play with no fans there? College age kids are not the ones filling the hospitals.

vCash
    Flu season looks to light this year.**

vCash
    It's mighty rich listening to that jackass criticize other people after his performance. It shouldn't take a pHd to recognize that cold and flu season comes every year, and the only way COVID wasn't still going to be a problem by cold and flu season would be if we already had a lot of cross immunity from other coronaviruses.

Sometimes decisions are hard and it's not fair to criticize them with the benefit of hindsight, but it didn't take hindsight to know that burning so much political capital and public good will working to defer cases until cold and flu season was moronic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's mighty rich listening to that jackass criticize other people after his performance. It shouldn't take a pHd to recognize that cold and flu season comes every year, and the only way COVID wasn't still going to be a problem by cold and flu season would be if we already had a lot of cross immunity from other coronaviruses.

Sometimes decisions are hard and it's not fair to criticize them with the benefit of hindsight, but it didn't take hindsight to know that burning so much political capital and public good will working to defer cases until cold and flu season was moronic.
    That's asinine, especially the comment about "deferring" cases. The guy has been begging and pleading with us to follow the guidelines since the beginning. We basically have ignored him at every turn. The power to actually issue orders does not lie with him. The power to follow him also doesn't rest with him. If you want to know who to blame, it's us.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 12-03-2020 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    That's asinine, especially the comment about "deferring" cases. The guy has been begging and pleading with us to follow the guidelines since the beginning. We basically have ignored him at every turn. The power to actually issue orders does not lie with him. The power to follow him also doesn't rest with him. If you want to know who to blame, it's us.
    We have not ignored him. We don't have pandemics because of moral failings. We have pandemics because sometimes there are novel contagious viruses. We listened and locked down for mostly no purpose after the first two weeks. In hindsight, even the first two weeks were pointless, but we didn't know as much about the virus then. We seriously damaged the finances of our hospitals and more or less accomplished nothing other than ensuring that our powder is not dry when we need it. And it wouldn't have taken any great effort for Dobbs to learn that there was going to be a limit to how much people would adjust their behavior in response to a pandemic. It would have basically required that he have a little bit of curiosity and ask somebody.

Also, it is somewhat fascinating to me that in school, when we learned about flagellants during the black death, it was sort of with the context of "can you believe how ignorant and crazy those people were"? But apparently there is a deep seated human need to believe we could have avoided bad things if we just acted more morally rather than accepting that there are bad things that happen that we can't avoid short of choosing something worse.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 12-03-2020 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    We have not ignored him. We don't have pandemics because of moral failings. We have pandemics because sometimes there are novel contagious viruses. We listened and locked down for mostly no purpose after the first two weeks. In hindsight, even the first two weeks were pointless, but we didn't know as much about the virus then. We seriously damaged the finances of our hospitals and more or less accomplished nothing other than ensuring that our powder is dry when we need it. And it wouldn't have taken any great effort for Dobbs to learn that there was going to be a limit to how much people would adjust their behavior in response to a pandemic. It would have basically required that he have a little bit of curiosity and ask somebody.

Also, it is somewhat fascinating to me that in school, when we learned about flagellants during the black death, it was sort of with the context of "can you believe how ignorant and crazy those people were"? But apparently there is a deep seated human need to believe we could have avoided bad things if we just acted more morally rather than accepting that there are bad things that happen that we can't avoid short of choosing something worse.
    This is what people don't get. This was going to happen. There's no way to fully stop it without a vaccine. The onus can't completely be on healthy people, but some have made it out that way. You have an obligation to take care of yourself. It's always been that way. If you're in a high risk category and choose to go out into large crowds then that tells me that you believe the reward is greater than the risk and you know what could happen. In the words of Ron Swanson, "If you want to eat garbage and balloon up to 600 lbs then that's your right". But you can't turn around and then get mad at others because they didn't protect you. You didn't protect yourself. I have a good friend who is a DIE HARD bulldog, but he's in a high risk category for this stuff. So he's made the sacrifice to not go to any ballgame and basically avoid large crowds whenever possible. He's taking care of himself instead of expecting others to do it and then getting mad when he inevitably would get sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is what people don't get. This was going to happen. There's no way to fully stop it without a vaccine. The onus can't completely be on healthy people, but some have made it out that way. You have an obligation to take care of yourself. It's always been that way. If you're in a high risk category and choose to go out into large crowds then that tells me that you believe the reward is greater than the risk and you know what could happen. In the words of Ron Swanson, "If you want to eat garbage and balloon up to 600 lbs then that's your right". But you can't turn around and then get mad at others because they didn't protect you. You didn't protect yourself. I have a good friend who is a DIE HARD bulldog, but he's in a high risk category for this stuff. So he's made the sacrifice to not go to any ballgame and basically avoid large crowds whenever possible. He's taking care of himself instead of expecting others to do it and then getting mad when he inevitably would get sick.
    Yep. As awful as China acted, once the virus was out of Wuhan (which probably happened extremely early), they probably couldn't have stopped it from blowing up into a pandemic even if they had tried. They could have made the harm a lot less bad early on if they had just been forthcoming and at least attempted to contain it from spreading internationally, and that could have made a big difference as far as getting our supply chains for medical supplies ready, but it probably wouldn't have utlimately prevented the pandemic.

vCash
    Yep. As awful as China acted, once the virus was out of Wuhan (which probably happened extremely early), they probably couldn't have stopped it from blowing up into a pandemic even if they had tried. They could have made the harm a lot less bad early on if they had just been forthcoming and at least attempted to contain it from spreading internationally, and that could have made a big difference as far as getting our supply chains for medical supplies ready, but it probably wouldn't have utlimately prevented the pandemic.
    It may never come out, but I believe this virus has been here for 12.5 to 13 months. I fully believe that it's been in the US since at least the middle of November 2019.

vCash
    I was a skeptic. Then my wife got it from a patient, then I got it, then my son who was home for Thanksgiving got it.

I?m a believer. We have avoided the hospital but the boredom that goes along with quarantine is pretty miserable. I have felt blah but my breathing is manageable. But the muscle and joint aches.... my gosh those were awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It may never come out, but I believe this virus has been here for 12.5 to 13 months. I fully believe that it's been in the US since at least the middle of November 2019.
    There was an article within the past few days confirming it in half a dozen blood samples from Red Cross donations from mid-December '19. Some west coast, some northeast.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I was a skeptic. Then my wife got it from a patient, then I got it, then my son who was home for Thanksgiving got it.

I?m a believer. We have avoided the hospital but the boredom that goes along with quarantine is pretty miserable. I have felt blah but my breathing is manageable. But the muscle and joint aches.... my gosh those were awful.
    I'm not a skeptic of it, my father had it and had some pretty bad symptoms. He recovered and is doing good now. I think it's a tough deal, and if you have underlying conditions like my father does then it can be a real SOB. And hey, I understand that if you're a parent you're going to be at a higher risk for getting it simply by being around your kids who have been at school. The point I have tried to make, and have been trying to make for the last 7-8 months, is know yourself. If you believe that you're a high risk or someone that you see on a daily basis and interact with closely is a high risk then you need to limit your contact with some people. If that's not you then you're fine. Live your life. Again, if it's unavoidable for you then just take as many precautions as you can.

I will agree with you on the quarantine thing. I had to do it in the middle of July before I got my results back from my test and it was mentally draining. Not being able to see anyone takes a toll on you that you don't realize until it's taken away from you.

vCash

My wife had it couple months back and to this day she still gets the shakes (Rigors) from it for a couple of hours every other day .... I have no idea why I didn't catch it from her because she would sleep on my pillow sometimes and even drink from my glass ... I just knew I was going to get it so I stayed home / quarantined for a week and never came down with it ... I'm a heavy smoker and I've heard that might help - IDK, but after watching her I feel for anyone that gets it ... hang tough dawg and hope everyone recovers quickly
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    We have not ignored him. We don't have pandemics because of moral failings. We have pandemics because sometimes there are novel contagious viruses. We listened and locked down for mostly no purpose after the first two weeks. In hindsight, even the first two weeks were pointless, but we didn't know as much about the virus then. We seriously damaged the finances of our hospitals and more or less accomplished nothing other than ensuring that our powder is not dry when we need it. And it wouldn't have taken any great effort for Dobbs to learn that there was going to be a limit to how much people would adjust their behavior in response to a pandemic. It would have basically required that he have a little bit of curiosity and ask somebody.

You are aware of the difference between mitigating and avoiding? Why does it have to be all or nothing. i don't get the "either it stops it cold or it's useless" point of view. I will never get that view in a million years. Like it or not there IS a moral component to this. We have a moral duty to our fellow man to do our best not to let our actions endanger other's lives. That is the basis of all peaceful civilization.