Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Egg Thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We have a better shot at the west with this than we had with ******* ?power spread? as y?all call it. Bama will eat that shit for lunch. Spin a safety to the RB side down for the read option/QB power/counter and play cover 1 and 2 man on 3rd down and Mullen was in his shell.
    Agree with that. Much easier to block 3 and pass vs blue bloods than to try and run vs a loaded box
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    We have a better shot at the west with this than we had with ******* ?power spread? as y?all call it. Bama will eat that shit for lunch. Spin a safety to the RB side down for the read option/QB power/counter and play cover 1 and 2 man on 3rd down and Mullen was in his shell.
    Don't remind me. I remember sitting in the stands against Alabama in 2017 knowing that Dan was going to run Fitz up the middle on 4th and 8 or whatever it was and being completely depressed knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's the thing. Leach- unlike Croom or Moorhead- has an actual track record of doing this. And so far it has played out like it has before. Which makes freaking out even less intelligent at this point.

The other funny thing is Leach's offense is pretty close in PPG to Dan in 2009- and our offense PPG is the same as 2010 and 2011 with a good chance of passing those two in the next couple of games.

And what did some of these same posters say on sixpack at the time? "Wait till Dan gets the right personnel in". And yet- Leach with a plethora of freshmen and sophomores and a broken culture essentially performing at the same level as Dan "won't work in the SEC".

Heck- Dan's best offenses were when could actually pass the ball adequately.
    100%

I see what C34 is saying as well. I just think he's embellishing it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Dear gosh.

Nobody is saying we all of the sudden have a good offense and are right where we need to be. Just that we have shown growth and there is reason to think we will be just fine in the long run given who our coach is and some of the bright spots we have seen in recent games.

Our defense from October 3rd to November 7th was one of the worst in college football. We finished with 2 points against a very mediocre Kentucky team and barely cracked 200 yards of offense against a Vandy defense that is currently ranked 116th in the country. We were as low as a Mike Leach offense possibly could have been. But comparative to where we were just three weeks ago, the offense has clearly made improvements. Even if you don't think we did enough against Ole Miss, we have still taken steps forward in the last two games.

Our freshman QB has progressively gotten better in each of his three starts and just threw for 440 and three TDs, we have a true freshman WR who has more yards in 8 games than any receiver of our receivers since 2016 have had in a full 13 game season, and we are having to play two freshmen tailbacks and two freshmen tackles. We are getting either very little or flat out nothing from the players we expected to be leading us at the beginning of the year.

It is never OK to lose the Egg Bowl and it is disappointing that we made some mistakes that cost us the game. But we were dead to rights two weeks ago and our fans were claiming we should cancel the rest of our games because we were just going to get embarrassed in all of them. Instead we have played two road games against teams that are better than us this year, all while we have been massively short-handed, and we gave those teams all we could handle all while showing the first signs of life that our offense has shown since Week 1.

Now I do think we need to find a way to beat Auburn or Missouri in order to so that we can have something other than moral victories to hang our hats on, but I am pleased with the growth we have shown in recent weeks and now feel much better about our chances to win either of these last two games.
    I was not saying it was ok to lose the egg. But if I could pick one to lose it was this one. They know what it is and they know they were lucky. The cute shit about got Lane beat by a team with 43 scholarship players.

All of y?all should stop pointing to the Vandy game as some black mark. It was a miracle to win it with the OL we had. One OL can make the whole bunch look awful. And that happened. It takes all 11 every snap to win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think the answer is in the middle.

I think Leach is a really good coach with a good, not great offensive system that lacks versatility

Because he's an excellent manager/decision maker/culture setter with a good offensive system, we're going to get pretty good and consistent.

However, to really compete for the West, he'll need to make some adaptations in the run game. It's probably why he's always won, but never won his division or conference
    We need to run better but to me it's we need to be more effective. Our YPC are pitiful for facing a 3 man front as much as we have. Leach's offenses typically average more than what we have right now- and in year one once again he struggled to run the ball same as us this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Don't remind me. I remember sitting in the stands against Alabama in 2017 knowing that Dan was going to run Fitz up the middle on 4th and 8 or whatever it was and being completely depressed knowing there was nothing I could do about it.
    Yeah that wasn't going to work with much better WR and QB play.

I do like the offensive recruiting advantage of this offense. We can sell it to WRs and QBs

vCash
    Yeah that wasn't going to work with much better WR and QB play.

I do like the offensive recruiting advantage of this offense. We can sell it to WRs and QBs
    And that's exactly what we desperately need. For way too long because we were so run heavy we had a reputation as a place where you couldn't get to the NFL if you played receiver here. We will start putting WR's in the league and in the meantime we'll keep recruiting like we have.

vCash
    I was not saying it was ok to lose the egg. But if I could pick one to lose it was this one. They know what it is and they know they were lucky. The cute shit about got Lane beat by a team with 43 scholarship players.

All of y?all should stop pointing to the Vandy game as some black mark. It was a miracle to win it with the OL we had. One OL can make the whole bunch look awful. And that happened. It takes all 11 every snap to win
    I will agree that the OL roster issues in the Vandy game have gotten overlooked, and I will own some of that too. I also thought we did a good job early in the game of working around some of those issues and then got away from it as the game went on for whatever reason. I'm sure Mason made some adjustments, but still. The second half of that game was UGLY.

But that was my point, I feel like the Vandy game to now is a nice "look how far we have come" barometer. Even if we have scored 24 in both of the last two games just as we did against Vandy, the level of competency in which we have done so definitely seems higher. We've just looked more comfortable in general, and I'm sure the OL having more regulars available is part of that, but I think Rogers and the receivers have improved too.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I agree. I am willing to wait and see more but just anointing him the king of O at this point is just ignorant but what many are doing. Like what the D has done and they have proved their position. O not so much.
    I am not willing to anoint Leach or anyone else on our offensive coaching staff kind of Jack shit right now. We have not been good offensively.

But I am also capable of reviewing track record, taking circumstances into account, and reading the nuances of this situation.

Both year 1s Leach has had, they scored 25 points or less per game. And every other year at those programs after year one (2001-2009 at TTU and 2013-2019 at WSU) they scored 30-42 PPG. Both year ones are his worst offensively in his career, and every single one of the other 16 seasons, Leach?s offenses have been somewhere between good and elite. Every. Single. Time. That is his track record. We are living through it right now.

You also have to consider we are playing with an absolutely insane amount of freshmen- got to be more than anyone in America. True freshman at QB. Our top 2 RBs are true freshmen. Our leading WR is a true freshman. Our starting LT is a RS freshman and basically a Wiley veteran compared to the other guys I mentioned. We also did not have spring practice and had very limited offseason workout reps.

Judge Leach after next year- not in the middle of an abridged year one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    South Carolina put 42 on 547 yards the game before us. Boom teams are known for their big time offense though.
    You are the kid putting his fingers in his ears and screaming sometimes man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Agree with what you said about the offense. It will work and the 3-8 is not some magic silver bullet. That being said, do I think adding some wrinkles in the run game would make it better? Yeah. But calling inside zone five more times per game right now would make our offense worse, not better.
    The 3-8 may not be a magic bullet, but 7 different teams in a row have played it. So there must be something to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    61 passes against one of the worst run defenses in the country wont fly in SEC football.
    I don't care what anyone says. That's just bad coaching.

And no, we don't want to keep running the draw into the 3-8. We just want some innovation in the run game like they have done at OU and other places.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The 3-8 may not be a magic bullet, but 7 different teams in a row have played it. So there must be something to it.
    Dude. Teams play cover 3 every week is it a magic bullet too? What you are thinking it is and what we are getting are 2 different things.

Being rational, take all Xs and Os talk out of the equation. Do you honestly believe that if the 3-8 was the death of the air raid that this would be the first time he has seen it?

Teams play some version of a head up nose and 2 5s or 4is every week too. Or a 3 a shade and 6s. Happened since Bear Bryant came
    Up with the techniques. You are misinformed or willfully ignorant. We are not seeing a prevent defense like y?all say. Just bc their is a 3 man front does not mean aw shucks just hand it off!! Running inside zone vs a 0 and 2 4is with free running LBs is a waste of time.

Now could he had more add adapt with more of a running game? Yes. I think he should. We agree there. And to his credit he has done it before. But if you look at his best rushing years they come with an experienced QB and a draft pick or two on the OL. And yes, the SEC is a different world than the Pac and the B12.

vCash
    2020 OM Defense is the only defense in the HISTORY OF THE SEC- to give up 501 yards plus per game and over 7 yards per play. Historically bad defense.

But we should be excited we scored 24 against a team giving up 40 per. Got it.
    Did we not score more, because of scheme or because of execution?

How long did we go in the game before we figured out we had all the time in the world to let pass plays develop. Do you think that is because of coaching or because of youth at position of QB and receiver also?

You are a coach. When you get guys from Jr Hi are they ready? Do you have them ready the first game, 3rd, 6th 10th, next year?

Tell us all about it.

vCash
    I swear to God you pick and choose more than any I have seen. If it was your personal offense you would be touting how it was brand new and full of young guys playing very well.

NVM the fact that we had a TD lost by a fumble at the foot line. There is 31 points. NVM the bad snaps, high low penalty, illegal formation penalty and shit effort from a few upperclassmen. All of that is on Leach? There is no coach in the country who could do a lot better with what we were given. We were basically a 3A against a 6A the past few weeks but you are spreading this shit. I agree with a lot of what you say but this act is old
    If you saw his Twitter beef with Marcus Rogers last night, you would know this is exactly what happened. Won 2 games all last year but brags how great his offense was..

vCash
    100%

I see what C34 is saying as well. I just think he's embellishing it
    The thing is, some of the folks saying the system won't work, I just wonder if they EVER stayed up and watched Washington State games in the Pac 12? The numbers they put up were ridiculous. Will we have trouble putting up big numbers against the elite defenses in the SEC like WSU had trouble with Washington? Yes, I think so, but there are only a few SEC defenses these days that are in the same category as Washington was for most of Leach's tenure at WSU. Heck, we just threw for 336 yards against Georgia who is supposed to be an elite defense. That is WAY better production than the last time Mullen took an offense over to Athens. If you don't like the offense because there isn't enough running fine, but the offense will put up very good numbers against the vast majority of defenses we face once the players are seasoned in the season. As I've said repeatedly, you don't need 5 star QBs and WRs for the Leach system to be successful, you just need reasonably talented, disciplined guys that have been in the system multiple years and know it inside and out.

vCash
    Dude. Teams play cover 3 every week is it a magic bullet too? What you are thinking it is and what we are getting are 2 different things.

Being rational, take all Xs and Os talk out of the equation. Do you honestly believe that if the 3-8 was the death of the air raid that this would be the first time he has seen it?

Teams play some version of a head up nose and 2 5s or 4is every week too. Or a 3 a shade and 6s. Happened since Bear Bryant came
    Up with the techniques. You are misinformed or willfully ignorant. We are not seeing a prevent defense like y?all say. Just bc their is a 3 man front does not mean aw shucks just hand it off!! Running inside zone vs a 0 and 2 4is with free running LBs is a waste of time.

Now could he had more add adapt with more of a running game? Yes. I think he should. We agree there. And to his credit he has done it before. But if you look at his best rushing years they come with an experienced QB and a draft pick or two on the OL. And yes, the SEC is a different world than the Pac and the B12.
    I'm not calling it a Prevent Defense. Why do you keep saying that? Coach34 calls it a prevent in a sarcastic way. Teams are rushing 3 and dropping 8 into zone coverage for the majority of the game, every game since LSU. They are copying and adapting the template that was laid out by Jimmy Lake at Washington. It's basically the same defense that shut down Leach 7 straight Apple Cups. It's the same defense that Vandy used to hold us to 200 yards. (yes i realize we had LT issues that game). If you can't agree on facts, we can't have a discussion.

vCash
    I don't care what anyone says. That's just bad coaching.

And no, we don't want to keep running the draw into the 3-8. We just want some innovation in the run game like they have done at OU and other places.
    I just find it funny how we can think we can judge a multi time national coach of the year winner he cannot coach all of a sudden.

What he is doing will either evolve/adapt, improve and work or die out. We can agree on that.....but It is not far off as it is rn. If you are damn good at what you do, it does not matter if they know it is coming. And we will get to that point. He has the trigger man. And when he finds it, he has historically won at places that never have won

vCash
    I'm not calling it a Prevent Defense. Why do you keep saying that? Coach34 calls it a prevent in a sarcastic way. Teams are rushing 3 and dropping 8 into zone coverage for the majority of the game, every game since LSU. They are copying and adapting the template that was laid out by Jimmy Lake at Washington. It's basically the same defense that shut down Leach 7 straight Apple Cups. It's the same defense that Vandy used to hold us to 200 yards. (yes i realize we had LT issues that game). If you can't agree on facts, we can't have a discussion.
    Vandy ran it for 2 drives and gave up 14 straight points. After that they blitzed us more than anyone has all season. You are wrong bud.

vCash
    We may be a little better next year. But until we put some innovation into the run game- we will not win SEC games. Our current offense the way its called will not win the SEC. 61 passes against one of the worst run defenses in the country wont fly in SEC football.
    This dude runs his high school QB every play and thinks he's better play caller than an SEC head coach. Maybe you should stick to junior high football.