Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Post Egg Thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    This dude runs his high school QB every play and thinks he's better play caller than an SEC head coach. Maybe you should stick to junior high football.
    And once the Leach offense is up and rolling and putting up good numbers he will fade away and you won't hear from him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Vandy ran it for 2 drives and gave up 14 straight points. After that they blitzed us more than anyone has all season. You are wrong bud.
    Yeah, that 10 yard drive after the Interceptions was awesome. You may not know this, but rushing 4 is not considered a blitz bud.

And by the way, we have to stop touting what Leach did 20 years ago at Texas Tech. It has the same relevance as Joe Lee Dunn once having the number 1 defense in the nation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We may be a little better next year. But until we put some innovation into the run game- we will not win SEC games. Our current offense the way its called will not win the SEC. 61 passes against one of the worst run defenses in the country wont fly in SEC football.
    Well OM has given up 1744 rushing yards total and 2480 passing yards total.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Dear gosh.

Nobody is saying we all of the sudden have a good offense and are right where we need to be. Just that we have shown growth and there is reason to think we will be just fine in the long run given who our coach is and some of the bright spots we have seen in recent games.

Our defense from October 3rd to November 7th was one of the worst in college football. We finished with 2 points against a very mediocre Kentucky team and barely cracked 200 yards of offense against a Vandy defense that is currently ranked 116th in the country. We were as low as a Mike Leach offense possibly could have been. But comparative to where we were just three weeks ago, the offense has clearly made improvements. Even if you don't think we did enough against Ole Miss, we have still taken steps forward in the last two games.

Our freshman QB has progressively gotten better in each of his three starts and just threw for 440 and three TDs, we have a true freshman WR who has more yards in 8 games than any of our receivers since 2016 have had in a full 13 game season, and we are having to play two freshmen tailbacks and two freshmen tackles. We are getting either very little or flat out nothing from the players we expected to be leading us at the beginning of the year.

It is never OK to lose the Egg Bowl and it is disappointing that we made some mistakes that cost us the game. But we were dead to rights two weeks ago and our fans were claiming we should cancel the rest of our games because we were just going to get embarrassed in all of them. Instead we have played two road games against teams that are better than us this year, all while we have been massively short-handed, and we gave those teams all we could handle all while showing the first signs of life that our offense has shown since Week 1.

Now I do think we need to find a way to beat Auburn or Missouri so that we can have something other than moral victories to hang our hats on, but I am pleased with the growth we have shown in recent weeks and now feel much better about our chances to win either of these last two games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Don't remind me. I remember sitting in the stands against Alabama in 2017 knowing that Dan was going to run Fitz up the middle on 4th and 8 or whatever it was and being completely depressed knowing there was nothing I could do about it.
    This all day. Mullen did great things for MSU but all the people bitching about this offense being boring have lost your mind. Mullen ran more QB dives than I care to remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yeah, that 10 yard drive after the Interceptions was awesome. You may not know this, but rushing 4 is not considered a blitz bud.

And by the way, we have to stop touting what Leach did 20 years ago at Texas Tech. It has the same relevance as Joe Lee Dunn once having the number 1 defense in the nation.
    How about 5 or 6 and one of them being their safety hitting our QB in the mouth? They brought pressure on just about every 2nd down in the 2nd half. And some of the other times they did not have to bc 72 was so bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    How about 5 or 6 and one of them being their safety hitting our QB in the mouth? They brought pressure on just about every 2nd down in the 2nd half. And some of the other times they did not have to bc 72 was so bad
    Leach will adapt or he will fail. He hasn't adapted in 20 years so the smart money is on him failing. I hate to see stupidity based on stubborness. And I think Leach has seen enough success against UGA and OM to think he doesn't have to change. It's called confirmation bias. Croom, Moorhead and Joe Lee Dunn had the same flaw. A lot of fans have same flaw no matter who our coach is right until the end. Even you Bucky, are trying to argue that the last 7 teams haven't played basically the same defense. It's laughable.

vCash
    I'll tell you a coach that fails to adapt- Ben Howland. That guy sucks!

vCash
    Leach will adapt or he will fail. He hasn't adapted in 20 years so the smart money is on him failing. I hate to see stupidity based on stubborness. And I think Leach has seen enough success against UGA and OM to think he doesn't have to change. It's called confirmation bias. Croom, Moorhead and Joe Lee Dunn had the same flaw. A lot of fans have same flaw no matter who our coach is right until the end. Even you Bucky, are trying to argue that the last 7 teams haven't played basically the same defense. It's laughable.
    In 20 years ML has never really had to adapt much because his system has always produced points and he's never really come that close to being fired based on his team's on field performance. If things don't work well and Leach is under fire then he probably will adapt some things. Leach may be stubborn but I don't anyone would call him stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    In 20 years ML has never really had to adapt much because his system has always produced points and he's never really come that close to being fired based on his team's on field performance. If things don't work well and Leach is under fire then he probably will adapt some things. Leach may be stubborn but I don't anyone would call him stupid.
    Good post. But I will say this, those 2 timeouts he burned on offense were about as stupid as you can get at this level. Just atrocious.

vCash

We were intentionally running slow...

2020 OM Defense is the only defense in the HISTORY OF THE SEC- to give up 501 yards plus per game and over 7 yards per play. Historically bad defense.

But we should be excited we scored 24 against a team giving up 40 per. Got it.
    To keep ball away from UM. I thought we were incredibly efficient outside of bad snaps and a goal line fumble.

vCash
    The 3-8 may not be a magic bullet, but 7 different teams in a row have played it. So there must be something to it.
    It's just the only defense that remotely works against this defense.

It's also a huge advantage for us going forward because we'll mostly only face 1 scheme with minor adjustments. It also comes close to destroying the blue blood's pass rush, which is something that hasn't happened in the history of our program.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    I am not willing to anoint Leach or anyone else on our offensive coaching staff kind of Jack shit right now. We have not been good offensively.

But I am also capable of reviewing track record, taking circumstances into account, and reading the nuances of this situation.

Both year 1s Leach has had, they scored 25 points or less per game. And every other year at those programs after year one (2001-2009 at TTU and 2013-2019 at WSU) they scored 30-42 PPG. Both year ones are his worst offensively in his career, and every single one of the other 16 seasons, Leach?s offenses have been somewhere between good and elite. Every. Single. Time. That is his track record. We are living through it right now.

You also have to consider we are playing with an absolutely insane amount of freshmen- got to be more than anyone in America. True freshman at QB. Our top 2 RBs are true freshmen. Our leading WR is a true freshman. Our starting LT is a RS freshman and basically a Wiley veteran compared to the other guys I mentioned. We also did not have spring practice and had very limited offseason workout reps.

Judge Leach after next year- not in the middle of an abridged year one.
    Good post.

I can't understand how this isn't obvious to everyone

vCash
    FWIW, Bo Bounds said this morning that word from within the program is that we'll run the ball more & better.

He didn't go into the reasons as to why we aren't doing better now, but just passing that along. The coaches seem to agree someone with the complaints here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    This dude runs his high school QB every play and thinks he's better play caller than an SEC head coach. Maybe you should stick to junior high football.
    I know you love me and like to continue to post dumb shit- but at least do a little research before making yourself look like an idiot. My QB had 27 carries this season in 6.5 ballgames. Thats 4 carries per game Waterboy. Also notice we threw 163 passes on the season to 156 runs.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...ball/stats.htm

Also- you can check out the best Soph WR in the state and get a look at our "Junior High" offense here- https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1534342...OtzAG67M2hnjPc
    Last edited by Coach34; 12-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Also- you can check out the best Soph WR in the state and get a look at our "Junior High" offense here- https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1534342...OtzAG67M2hnjPc
    Kid is impressive.

vCash
    I know you love me and like to continue to post dumb shit- but at least do a little research before making yourself look like an idiot. My QB had 27 carries this season in 6.5 ballgames. Thats 4 carries per game Waterboy. Also notice we threw 163 passes on the season to 156 runs.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...ball/stats.htm

Wow, that's amazing. I apologize for ever questioning the self proclaimed smartest high school offensive coordinator that has ever existed. It amazes me how you're not already in the hall of fame, but I'm sure you have pictures of yourself all the way down your hall.

vCash
    I'm not calling it a Prevent Defense. Why do you keep saying that? Coach34 calls it a prevent in a sarcastic way. Teams are rushing 3 and dropping 8 into zone coverage for the majority of the game, every game since LSU. They are copying and adapting the template that was laid out by Jimmy Lake at Washington. It's basically the same defense that shut down Leach 7 straight Apple Cups. It's the same defense that Vandy used to hold us to 200 yards. (yes i realize we had LT issues that game). If you can't agree on facts, we can't have a discussion.
    Man, it's really surprising that PAC12 defensive coaches don't do anyscouting or film work. You'd think paying high six figures would get you defensive coaches that would at least take the time to watch an Apple Cup film after a few years of success by Washington, since that's all you have to do to shut down Leach's offense. But I guess $500k to $800k isn't what is used to be and you have to get to the SEC before you get DC's that will take a couple of hours to watch film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Will simply takes care of the ball better than Costello. In hindsight to me that's Leach's biggest mistake. Not going with Will to start with. But I understand why he didn't since he was a true freshman and coaches tend to lean on experience- sometimes too much in some cases. Also, Rogers was sick the first two games.

If we don't have the pick 6's we beat Arkansas and Kentucky and our season is probably completely different.
    I mean, you can't really complain about Costello's START at LSU. Record 600+ yards passing! So Leach HAD to give Costello the next start vs Arkansas.

Who knows if Leach would have replaced Costello 2-3 games after LSU, because Will was out due to Covid. I'm not really sure which games.

vCash
    Look- I like your kid and think he will be a solid college QB. I just dont think the offense the way we run it currently is going to work. Agree we need to add some innovation to the run game with a counter or buck with a thumper in the offense. Hell, I run an RPO with the Buck that stretches the field horizontally. Our Genius could at least do that. If Leach will morph as a veteran as Saban did- he will be successful. If he doesnt? He will go the way of Les Miles
    Dude no one give a shit what YOU run nor what YOU think we should run. All you do is come on here and let us know everything that is wrong and how it should be fixed. You a 17in high school coach. If you are such a ?great football mind?, what you doing in the high school ranks jackass...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    If you are such a ?great football mind?, what you doing in the high school ranks jackass...
    So you cant cook a great pot of gumbo if you arent a chef in a New Orleans restaurant?
    You have to be Myron Mixon or Johnny Trigg to do a great rack of ribs?
    You have to be a Fireman or you dont know how to put out a fire?
    You cant be a great governor unless you are Tate Reeves?
    You cant possibly know anything about being a good athletic director unless you are John Cohen or Larry Templeton?

**edited to add**- there are some really good HS coaches in Mississippi. Much better than there was 20 years. Just because they dont coach on the college level- doesnt mean they dont know football as well as others that do.
    Last edited by Coach34; 12-01-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is